1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why New Hopper 3 Remote Sucks - It has a fatal flaw

Discussion in 'Hopper System Support Forum' started by fwampler, Mar 8, 2016.

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1 of 26
    fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    The new remote has a serious flaw that cannot be overlooked. I can overlook many problems but not this one:

The skip forward button is located just above and very near to the channel up/down rocker. The slightest miss while watching a show that is still being recorded (read ball games) and you will be rudely jerked out of your game and have no easy way to get back to your place. Because the remote isn't backlit this affliction can and does happen a lot. Previously recorded shows are a little better since you can resume the show when you find it again. Whoever designed or approved this remote had their head you know where. Yuck. The problem can be solved if Dish swaps the volume and channel rockers. Dish this was a baby mistake in remote design.

2. Mar 8, 2016 #2 of 26
    ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    This sounds like what Directv did to their latest Genie remote. It has poorly located buttons and loud clicking rockers where buttons should be. I feel your pain. Do the old remotes work with the receivers that come with the new remotes? For reference, in other words, the old white Directv remote still works in IR mode on the Genie receivers that come with the awful new one, so maybe you can do the same.

3. Mar 8, 2016 #3 of 26
    RBA

RBA Active Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Or he could get a small LED flashlight to illuminate his remote.

1 person likes this.
  4. Mar 9, 2016 #4 of 26
    n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    So, you'd rather crank up the volume every time you miss the button you're aiming for. That seems like a really bad idea especially since every remote ever made has the volume on the left and channel on the right.

The real solution is for DISH to recall and destroy the 52.0 remotes and replace them with the 40.0 remote

1 person likes this.
  5. Mar 9, 2016 #5 of 26
    ally68

ally68 AllStar

May 10, 2005
    I love the new remote and have never had the issue you speak of

1 person likes this.
  6. Mar 9, 2016 #6 of 26
    fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    I have a small LED light and it still doesn't help the design problem.

7. Mar 9, 2016 #7 of 26
    fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    One errant push is not a crank-lup. At least on my system. One push on that channel button is a tear-down though.

8. Mar 9, 2016 #8 of 26
    fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    Just hang in there and you will reap the full glory of it.

9. Mar 9, 2016 #9 of 26
    fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    I've been told they do. But the whole connection process on my Hopper is so iffy I'm somewhat afraid I'd never get any remote reconnected.

10. david_jr

david_jr Godfather

Dec 10, 2006
    The old 40.0 remotes most certainly do work with the new Hopper 3!!

11. fwampler

fwampler Legend

Dec 2, 2005
    Good to know.

12. 63thk

63thk AllStar

Feb 11, 2010
    Easten, NC
    I have to say I like new remote. I just felt the old one was way to busy. I do miss the On Demand and few other buttons. Back-lighting would be nice,but 4.0 needed that also.

13. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    That doesn't bother me so much, but what were they thinking by not including a stop button? I've only had it for a couple of days, but have yet to find any way to tell it I'm done watching a program and not to continue playback, or to stop recording either. Every single recording and playback device I have ever seen in 50+ years has a stop button, except this one. The process to restore programs from an EHD seems much clunkier than on the original hopper as well. So far, I am not liking the UI at all.

I'm going to give the new remote a little more time, but I will probably go back to my old one.

14. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Hit the select button when you are done watching a recorded video. You will then be presented with several options, one of them is to stop viewing.

15. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    So four button presses (Select, right, right, Select) instead of one is supposed to be an improvement?

16. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    I didn't say it was an improvement. I simply responded to your inquiry about a "stop" button. Perhaps it will help us all keep our minds sharp so that we won't experience early onset Alzheimer's or some other form of dementia... :nono2:

17. DN2014

DN2014 New Member

Mar 29, 2014
    Midwest USA
    Please don't change the volume & channel locations. The bumps on my wife head are just going down and healing from me telling her about them. Especially since every remote ever made has the volume on the left and channel on the right

18. 4HiMarks

4HiMarks Hall Of Fame

Jan 21, 2004
    Laurel, MD
    OK, so there is a way to stop it, but that doesn't excuse them for the boneheadedness of not including a button to do so. If they removed the brake pedal on your car and said you could still stop it by flipping a switch to disengage the accelerator then shifting the transmission into Park, would you consider that to be a smart design move?

19. bmetelsky

bmetelsky Cool Member

Feb 28, 2009
    Very dramatic, but not quite the same. ;)

20. SevenSixTwo

SevenSixTwo Member

Feb 7, 2016
    This is why other countries hate us