1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why no Nick GAS?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Kichigai, Jun 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jun 1, 2007 #1 of 15
    Kichigai

Kichigai AllStar

Mar 21, 2006
    Why doesn't Directv add Nick Games and Sports?

Yet they add Chiller, Tennis, Beauty and Fashion and other extraordinary numbers of shopping and religious channels.

Is there a legal reason for this? If there is I can accept that but other than that I think that D* is once again dropping the ball.

2. Jun 2, 2007 #2 of 15
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...

Suggest everyone that wants this channel to call or email Directv and request it.That is normally the way it's done.;)

3. Jun 2, 2007 #3 of 15
    MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    I did when I left DISH several months ago. I asked for Nick GAS and Classic Arts Showcase. So far, no dice.

4. Jun 2, 2007 #4 of 15
    jpl

jpl Hall Of Fame

Jul 9, 2006
    Why Chiller? Probably because DirecTV struck a deal to get the HD version of the channel, and to get that deal they agreed to carry the SD version. There may also have been alot of demand for a horror channel. Tennis was probably added due to consumer demand (I know alot of folks wanted it). Why B&F? No idea - they were smoking something, probably.

As for the other channels - those have less to do with consumer demand than cost. Religious channels don't cost DirecTV anything to carry - most, if not all, give away their programming. And shopping channels pay DirecTV to carry them, so they're a revenue stream for the company.

I'd keep pestering them if you want Nick GAS. It's a channel that many parents are surprised that DirecTV doesn't have. When we switched to FiOS from DirecTV one reason, btw, was the family type programming. No they don't have ALOT more, but they do have more (including GAS) and that figured into the equation when we made that decision.

5. Jun 2, 2007 #5 of 15
    Jhon69

Jhon69 Hall Of Fame

Mar 27, 2006
    Central San...
    Update:Already received a reply concerning NICK GAS.Requests are being sent to Directv management.While I do believe that bandwith problems can restrict new additions at this time.I look for a new channel explosion once bandwith becomes available.The reason I believe this is Directv carrys the most national basic channels of all the providers in my area.;)

6. Jun 2, 2007 #6 of 15
    wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Jhon - that's a canned response. Sorry to burst your bubble :)

7. Jun 2, 2007 #7 of 15
    BobCA

BobCA AllStar

Sep 2, 2002
    IMO, asking D* to add channels is a waste of time. I started asking them (phone calls and e-mails) to add HBO Comedy 3 years ago and they still have not. There was even a survey taken on this board a number of months back asking which channels people would like D* to add. HBO Comedy was voted in the top 3 (may have been #1) and they still didn't add it. The bandwith thing is an old excuse. I was told that 3 years ago, but they found bandwith for plenty of shopping and religious channels that nobody wants. I really don't think they care too much about customer channel requests. It's just good P.R. to say that they do.

8. Jun 2, 2007 #8 of 15
    Elistan98

Elistan98 Legend

Sep 18, 2006
    Thats the same response Ive gotten when requesting the Anime Network for the past 3 years. Youll notice we still dont get it.

9. Jun 3, 2007 #9 of 15
    MLBurks

MLBurks Icon

Dec 16, 2005
    Though I don't like all of the religious channels there are a couple I do like and I know plenty who have D* specifically for the religious channels because their cable operator and E* have a very small selection. You just will not see most of them posting on these boards. So the religious channels (and I'm sure shopping channels) are wanted by many. They are just not the kind of people in most cases to monitor and post on this board (or any other).

10. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    Does anyone know why D* hasn't added Nick GAS though? Most every other provider has it whether its on E* or the digital cable platforms...or FiOS. So why doesn't D*?

11. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    Well, Nick GAS's highest rated show, Legends of the Hidden Temple, is back on air on Nickelodeon.

6:30AM every weekday

That may make you want Nick GAS even more, like it has for me :(.

12. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    Dishnetwork has HBO Comedy.. They have old comedy night club shows, movies ETC.

13. cb7214

cb7214 Icon

Jan 25, 2007
    i thought directv did have it, did they have it at one time?

14. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Nope, DirecTV never had Nick GAS, they've had Nicktoons Network for a few years now, but no GAS.

15. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    And "this time" will likely extend until well after they start moving HD channels off of the Ku satellites.

Are your knuckles raw from pounding sand?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.