1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why No PBS HD Locals in Washington DC Area...Till Now

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by TechMoe, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Feb 5, 2009 #1 of 12
    TechMoe

TechMoe Cool Member

Nov 30, 2008
    I have been checking this site a few times a week looking for news of PBS HD Locals being added in the DC metro area for DTV. I keep seeing other smaller local markets getting it, but why not this area up to now???

2. Feb 5, 2009 #2 of 12
    cdizzy

cdizzy Icon

Jul 29, 2007
    My guess is that they are trying to get all the individual market contracts done. It takes time but i would imagine that it's on its way.

3. Feb 5, 2009 #3 of 12
    Azdeadwood

Azdeadwood Legend

Aug 18, 2007
    I just wish they would tell us the roll out plan for PBS HD. I am also frustrated when I see smaller markets than Albuquerque get HD when we don't.

I'm very surprised to hear as large a market as DC doesn't have it!

4. Feb 5, 2009 #4 of 12
    Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    Progress sure has been slow with the PBS roll-outs.

Still blurry low-D PBS (WITF) here in the Harrisburg DMA.

Jeff

5. Feb 5, 2009 #5 of 12
    Baldone

Baldone Mentor

Sep 2, 2007
    I hear ya, I'm 30 spots higher than you on the dma list (Seattle) & still don't have PBS HD.:confused:

6. Feb 5, 2009 #6 of 12
    n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    Not that WITF-DT actually broadcasts anything in HD (16:9) anyway. Have you seen any full HD (16:9) programming on 33.1 in the past 3 or 4 months? I've only seen letter boxed and 4:3 stuff on WITF-DT. A lot of the shows say "Available in HD" at the beginning, but WITF is too cheap to show them in HD.

I look forward to the day that WITF-DT is available on D*. Still holding my breath since there is a WITF-DT as a test channel on 103s supposedly.

7. Feb 5, 2009 #7 of 12
    Piratefan98

Piratefan98 Icon

Mar 11, 2008
    Actually, I don't get WITF OTA, so my only viewing is done in SD thru DirecTV. When I used to be on Comcast, we had the PBS national HD channel, and it was really nice, but I understand that it has gone away. I don't know whose fault it is (PBS or DirecTV), but I certainly am not watching as much PBS programming because of the lack of HD. Some of those shows in SD are just plain unwatchable. I was an annual contributor for almost 10 years, but they aren't getting another nickel out of me until HD is delivered.

Jeff

8. Feb 5, 2009 #8 of 12
    Golfman

Golfman Icon

Dec 20, 2007
    Reston, VA
    Agree, sure would like to see the DC area PBS HDs added soon.

9. Feb 5, 2009 #9 of 12
    dbsdave

dbsdave Godfather

May 1, 2007
    feel your pain dc, but not really, since boston, the foundation for much of pbs, still does not have a pbs hd channel on directv

10. Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA Icon

Jan 10, 2008
    What's really frustrating is watching shows on PBS and seeing their teaser telling me that the program is also available in HD! I keep asking when?

11. TechMoe

TechMoe Cool Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Wow, I thought DC was the last place that didn't have any PBS HD, had no idea Boston doesn't even have it.

Our PBS station, WETA, has been running a lot of ads promoting their HD channel and what they are showing on it which is fairly substantial and I feel frustrated that I cannot see it in HD. Just the other day I believe it was Nova that had a special on butterflies. A topic that I would normally not be interested in but in SD the colors looked cool and I can't even imagine how it would have looked in HD.

Whatever is taking them so long, I hope they get it resolved soon. I thought by Jan 1 we would have it for sure and now we are in Feb. and still nothing.
    I have never understood why DTV doesn't let us know clearly that new channels have been added. If it weren't for this site I would have no clue!

12. yuppers519

yuppers519 Godfather

Aug 6, 2007
    PBSHD In Albany ny DMA is now on Directv