1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why No Widescreen with NFL on CBS-Tenn. vs. NY

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Vinny, Sep 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Is there any technical reason that CBS decides not to show various games throughout the season in widescreen format? FOX shows everygame in Widescreen and I'm sure NBC will as well. It's just not right!!!

2. AnonomissX

AnonomissX Godfather

Jun 29, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Gonna have to ask CBS on that one... It's their camera and broadcast.:confused: :confused: :confused:

3. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    The Bills/Pats game is in 16:9

4. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    CBS only does 3 games a week in HD. Fox does all of theirs and NBC, ESPN and the NFL will each do their one in HD.

Send letters to CBS. Although I think starting next year all NFL games will be in HD.

And the Jets should cut Mike Nugent.:eek2:

5. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    it seems like they changed it later in the game

6. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    2009 is what I hear.

And why is it that it's 3 NFL games a week, but today they did 3 NFL games then the US Open in HD. If you can find that extra HD truck for tennis, CBS, then why can't you find it for NFL games?

7. Vinny

Vinny New Member

Sep 1, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    Now, that's what I'm talking about. It's an investment that it seems FOX decided to make and CBS didn't. I can understand why ESPN/NBC with just one game would be 100% HD; but if one network can do it, they all should. Let's just hope it happens sooner than later.

8. bidger

bidger Hall Of Fame

Nov 19, 2005
    Cheer up, you'll get your Jets in HD next week vs. the Pats. 4:15PM EST on CBS.

9. Newshawk

Newshawk Hall Of Fame

Sep 3, 2004
    Broken...
    Perhaps it's because they needed the trucks for the US Open... A major high-profile event like that usually takes an expanded amount of equipment to produce the telecast.

10. bruin95

bruin95 Godfather

Apr 23, 2006
    The US Open has NOTHING to do with the fact that CBS had only 3 games today in HD. They have only 3 HD games EVERY week, and this is not going to change this season.

11. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    CBS just does not have the capacity in their network to run more than 3 HD programs at one time. It has nothing to do with the number of trucks they have.

Next year they will show 4 games per week in HD, in 2008 5 games, and then in 2009 every game will be HD. They have to basically rip out and upgrade their entire network, so it will be a slow process.

12. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Good lord. That isn't even a sport!!! :mad:

13. Blitz68

Blitz68 Hall Of Fame

Apr 19, 2006
    Good lord. That isn't even a sport!!! :mad:

14. OrlandoJoe

OrlandoJoe AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    Actually, if CBS produced all the games in HD, DTV would still limit the number of HD transmissions to NFLST/SF subscribers. This week the SF/AZ game was SD only, even though FOX is 100% HD. Its all about the bandwidth and DTV doesn't have enough until all the birds are flying.

15. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Actually that is not true...
    DirecTV WANTS to offer the entire Sunday Ticket in HD... .they wouldn't be able to pick and choose which is HD and which is not.

That is one of things "saving" the bandwith right now, is that CBS is so bass-ackwards with their HD coverage.

As for the USOpen... I think that is some sort of non-CBS company that is filming it in HD (considering a significant portion is being aired via NBC/Universal companies).

16. OrlandoJoe

OrlandoJoe AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    There's want to and there is can and right now, DTV can't. There is nothing in my post which is not true. The Superfan programming description says that NFLST/SF subscribers will receive "up to 9 HD games each week". This week, there were 9 HD games and 3 SD only games on NFLST. Next week, without a Thursday Night or two Monday Night games, there will be 5 SD only games on NFLST/Superfan.

17. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Actually Fox does 6 HD games a week. However this week there were 7 NFC or NFC at AFC stadium games. So one game had to be the red headed step child and Fox decided that SF/AZ would be the one to get the widescreen non-HD treatment. It wasnt a D* decision, the game just was not in HD. Notice they advertise up TO 9 HD games per week. Count them up there were 9. 3 on CBS and 6 on Fox with Fox deciding against HD for SF/AZ. So your post isnt really true, D* can and DOES deliver HD games its up to the networks to provide them which they did except for one which wasnt advertised to be in HD anyway.

18. OrlandoJoe

OrlandoJoe AllStar

Sep 6, 2006
    OK, I believe you. I am sure I saw FOX advertise that they were 100% HD for the NFL, but maybe that was further into the season last year when the bye weeks were in play and they only had 6 games a week to cover. But where exactly is DTV going to put the additional HD games once FOX and CBS deliver them? They needed to knock out TNT-HD and PPV channels to carry 9 this week.

I am glad that it was FOX that decided which game to downgrade, since it makes it unlikely that the Giants will be downgraded to SD in future weeks. I had been trying to get that answer from DTV for a few days since I got the HD schedule for week 1. Two email responses without a hint at the correct answer.

19. DCSholtis

DCSholtis Up The Irons!

Aug 7, 2002
    Yeah FOX will take the game that is to be shown to the least part of the nation and make that the SD GOTW during weeks where they have more than 6. Once FOX and CBS show ALL games in HD then D* will have the bandwidth by that time and wont need to knock out PPV and TNT-HD Stretch-O-Vision everyweek.

20. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    It sure looked HD to me on the local FOX station in Phoenix. Are you saying they took a SD broadcast and stretched it to widescreen? It didn't look that way to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.