1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why not embed a series code?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV SD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ajiuO, Jun 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ajiuO

ajiuO Legend

Jun 17, 2006
    Embed a series code

Why don’t they just embed a series code with each listing?

For example:

The Simpson’s mon-fri on fox at 5:00 p.m. let’s give it code number 00001
    The Simpson’s every Sunday at 5:30 p.m. lets give this code number 00002
    The Simpson’s every Sunday at 7:00 p.m. lets give this code number 00003

This way if you just want to record the Simpson’s on the Sunday 7:00p.m. time slot on Sunday that’s all you will get. This would also help when fox decides to randomly changes the scheduling. Like say they move it to 7:30 one week. It will still get the recording. Because 00003 would still be the series code. I think this would be the most simplistic error free way to do it. And when you add a series it could tell you the regular air dates.

You could still make everything look the same on the surface but it would perform much more efficiently.

So why not do it?

2. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    Ask NDS that since they are the makers of the DVR's logic (I think).

And you could always do a manual record.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    There is a LOT more to that then you may think.

If you start doing that, you are starting to put the responsibility of the integrity of the guide data on DirecTV, and not the company they pay for it...

Also, that combination (your example) may work very well for your specific LOCAL channels, but there are another 150 (IIRC) local "sets" out there, so you are looking at a lot of elaborate programming to account for all the local channel combinations.

In fact, that code already exists in the guide data, and it is actually called Series ID

4. TheTooleMan

TheTooleMan Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    So D* just needs to make use of it, right? :eek2:

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    They do...

The problem is... it is not there for every program

6. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I think the original poster was really talking about something that would be a "season code", as opposed to a series code. Looking at the TMS data available to developers (which must be somewhat similar to what they provide to TiVo, DirecTV, and any other "real" customers), originalAirDate is about as close as you're going to get.

Typically it's "this season" (episodes less than about a year old) and "everything else", but you could certainly partition it further ("this season", "last season", ..., "first season"). But all this requires that you just take "year" as an assumption, which doesn't work for all shows (e.g. Survivor tends to have two seasons per year, Prison Break's hiatus could have caused problems, etc. -- it's a problem best solved by a human).

7. TheTooleMan

TheTooleMan Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    The unit needs to let us choose to record a show every time it airs or just record at a specific time every day, like a VCR. As I mentioned elsewhere, some channels air the same episode of a program multiple times per day. All those airings get on the To Do list and have to be manually deleted, which is a pain in the ass. And if you don't delete them, you can have conflicts with other recordings, etc. More pain...

The same lack of programming logic creates The Simpsons and Survivor problems mentioned in this thread.

Picking a program and a channel combination to record won't help in cases like The Daily Show and other programs which run on the same channel several times a day. You have to pick a program at a specific time of day. You could create multiple To Do events if you want to record more than one airing of a program, in case multiple different episodes run per day.

NOTE: Being a systems analyst, I'm used to thinking about problems like this in a systematic way and coming up with solutions. So I think D* ought to pay me for the time I'm putting in on this issue. I usually charge $90 an hour for consultation. :lol:

8. jonaswan2

jonaswan2 Icon

Oct 29, 2005
    You should already be able to do that manually through the manual record function.

9. TheTooleMan

TheTooleMan Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    Thanks, I'll try it. Guess I missed the part of the user manual that explained this function.
    :rolleyes:

10. TheTooleMan

TheTooleMan Legend

Apr 9, 2006
    I used the manual record setting and, amazingly, it works! Doesn't give the program name in the To Do list, but that's a small problem compared to the hassle of finding and deleting the extraneous entries made by a series link.

I still would like to see an enhancement to the series recording function that would allow picking a single run of the program, e.g. the 10:00 (CT) run of The Daily Show.

11. Hokie01

Hokie01 Cool Member

Jun 9, 2006
    That would be really nice since the Daily Show airs again like 2 hours later. Usually it does well as a first-run but Mondays are hit or miss. Sometimes it records the Monday 5am and 8am (PT) broadcasts (not sure of I got those times exact or not).

12. Wolffpack

Wolffpack Banned User

Jul 29, 2003
    Those Monday morning broadcasts are coded a generic shows for TDS. No episode ID. That's a Comedy Central issue. Not sure why they do it, but they do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.