1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why only non-USB powered external hard drives?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by festivus, Jan 27, 2011.

1. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    Can't seem to find the answer to this.

I have a spare external hard drive but it's powered via the usb connection. Why can't the 622's and 722's power the hard drive this way? I have a small usb fan running off my 622 in my basement so it can power that.

With the activation fee and the cost of a non-usb powered drive I don't really want to take the plunge.

2. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    Since you tried a fan and it works, have you tried the drive you have?

As to why, could simply be more engineering than Dish wanted to do, or, they felt a powered unit would work better.

As to "taking the plunge", an excellent WB 1TB is currently only $70 at places like Amazon. Additionally, the $40 fee you are talking about is history in a few days, it will be free for everyone.

3. TommyF@DISH Network

TommyF@DISH Network DISH Representative DISH Representative

Jan 5, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    The USB port on the rcvr is not generating enough power to power the EHD so we require it to have it's own power source.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    A hard drive requires a lot more power, especially at start-up, and that's more than the motherboard is designed to provide. Assuming it worked at all, you risk burning up the drive controller or the USB controller.

5. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    Thanks. For some reason I always have to know why. Makes sense now.

6. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    You could wait for 1-Feb when there won't be an activation fee.

7. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    You can also chalk it up to a loophole in the USB specifications.

While it can supply power to some connected devices... there is a limit to the amount of connected devices on any given port AND I do not believe there is any specific power requirement required to meet USB specs.

The voltage is specified... but current is not... thus power is not... so there is no guarantee really that any USB port will power anything... though some devices are intended to power USB-connected devices and usually will say so up front.

8. Feb 3, 2011 #8 of 27
    festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    Wow! I didn't know about that! Thanks!

Edit: Looks like the $40 fee still applies, according to this page:
    http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/setup-ehd

9. Feb 3, 2011 #9 of 27
    SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    With all due respect, do you think that the page has not yet been updated or do you think the $40 fee still applies? :rolleyes:

10. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    With all due respect, the dish page says that the fee still applies (actually on several different pages) and I wasn't directed to any other official announcement about the fee being zero now. So my assumption is that the $40 fee still applies. Or should I assume something else for which I have zero evidence? :nono:

11. CABill

CABill Hall Of Fame

Mar 20, 2005
    If you have an EHD that you don't care if it gets formatted, just connect it to the USB port. There is some minimum size, so you can't just use a 32GB flash as an EHD. Previously, the receiver would say it needed to be activated, please call 800 ...
    I've paid the fee and can't try, but I'm led to believe that it will now just format the drive and use it. You'd have to tell me if that is or isn't accurate!

12. SaltiDawg

SaltiDawg Active Member

Aug 30, 2004
    No. I'm sure you're right. Stupid ol' other posters. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, "The elimination of the EHD fee was annoaunced here http://www.satelliteguys.us/satellit...drive-fee.html some time ago. The web page is not updated. The $40.00 fee to add an EHD to a 211 still applies."

Who'd a figured that festivus would have been mistaken and attacked somone? :)

13. tampa8

tampa8 Godfather/Supporter

Mar 30, 2002
    :nono2: How about actually asking Dish online or on the phone? I know it just can't be that the Dish site has not been updated......that has never happened.

14. thomasjk

thomasjk Legend

Jan 10, 2006
  15. Mike109

Mike109 Legend

Jun 28, 2010
  16. festivus

festivus Legend

Nov 9, 2008
    Don't want this to turn into an argument between us, but who attacked who first with the rolling of the eyes? I was only asking for evidence since no link was provided. And shame on me for assuming that Dish could have its website updated in 2 business days. Looks like it's updated today though, on some pages since someone finally provided a link. Still not updated here though. So I was wrong for reading exactly what was on Dish's site? I know who to ignore now...

http://www.dishnetwork.com/SupportSection/setup-ehd

17. tymekeeper

tymekeeper Legend

Jan 11, 2008
    Hi Tommy, You were so good at answering the Starz for one year thing, I figured I would ask you about the maximum size EHD. Some have said 2 TB with v6.74 on a VIP 722. Dis site says 1TB.

Also are the 722's active now or do I have to call to have it activated.

Think of getting a Western Digital WDBAAU0015HBK-NESN. Do you just plug it in

Any other info would be appreciated.

Your the man!

18. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Some did tests for 1, 1.5 and 2 TB drive as EHD and posted RESULTs for you. Why it's need to be questioned ?

19. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Current is specified - 500 mA Max per port for powered ports and 100 mA for all.

20. Texas-Justice

Texas-Justice Cool Member

Dec 28, 2010
    Texas, of...
    I can't answer about that specific model since I haven't tested it, but I know that the WDBACW0020HBK-NESN works fine. It is a WD My Book Essential 2 TB drive with USB 3.0 connection. Of course, that will work on the USB 2.0 ports on the 722k at USB 2.0 speeds, but it does give me some leeway in the future if a new receiver comes out with USB 3.0 ports.

Also, this unit had $15 off as well when I bought it and there were no USB 2.0 2 TB drives in stock at the store I was at, and the USB 2.0 drive price tags showed them at the same price as the new 3.0 drive but without the $15 discount. Easy decision to go ahead and get the 3.0 version of the drive.

It took somewhere between 5 and 15 minutes to format, but I wasn't timing it so I can't say for certain how long. It automatically activated after the format without needing to use chat or call a CSR to activate it.

After seeing reports from others about various drives, I would suspect that the one you list would work as well since it is a powered drive.

I know that the limit for the 211k is 1 TB, so that may be why the main site still lists that as the maximum size. Also, the fee still applies for the 211k as well.

Hope this info helps.