1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the need for separate Play & Pause?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Steve, May 23, 2007.

Would you like the OPTION to enable a Play/Pause Button?

1. Yes, (>) should become Play/Pause & (||) stays as a Pause.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, (>) should become Play/Pause & (||) becomes Slow Motion.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Yes, (>) = Play/Pause, (||) = Slow Motion, (<<) or (>>) varies Slomo speed.

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. No, offering these OPTIONS might create other problems. See below.

12 vote(s)
    75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Seems to me like separate Play & Pause buttons are a hold-over from analog tape transport days. I would love to be able to optionally reprogram (>) to be a Play/Pause toggle.

Doing so could then free up "(||)" to become a dedicated Slow Motion button.

Someone in another thread even suggested that if we had a dedicated Slow Motion button, it would be nice to vary the speed by hitting either (<<) or (>>) while slomo was engaged. Cool idea and a great feature for sports fans.

What do you all think? If you vote option 4, please explain. TIA. /s

2. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think it's a great idea. Enable it as an option in the advanced menu.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    But then what button would you use to pull up the timeline/progress bar ?

As for the two seperate buttons...
    There is something to be said for keeping things somewhat similar to what people have been used to for 30 years.

Also remember... the current RC series remote... was designed for the SAT BOX and VCR universal style.
    The DVR was not it's primary design point (the remote design is about 4 years old now)

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Just suggesting it as an option for folks that no longer use VCRs and complain about the HR20's SloMo.

On the HR10, I used to quickly toggle (||) or hit "info" to display the Progress Bar. The toggle was just a clickety-click, so not really annoying when watching. /s

5. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    At least on the HR20... bringing up INFO... also brings up the banner bar..
    So the progress + banner just a little less then half the screen...

Pause/Pause... hiccups playback.

I know from my usage pattern... I cheat... I use the progress bar to get a feel if the the "climax" for the episode is going to be reached before the end of the show, so I can mentally prepare myself for a cliff-hanger.

Or also, when I need to gauge how much time I have left in playback.
    And there are usually other people watching... the quick pop-up of the progress bar, doesn't really distract from the show... but a pause woudl... and the banner would as well...

6. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Earl, you have excellent points (as always) but if this were an option, like some of the other menu options, people could decide for themselves if it works for them.

As far as the remote design being old, perhaps they are working on a new one. I have to say that of the DIRECTV remotes I've used (RCA-style, Tivo-style, and "white bar") this is my least favorite. It is functional and solidly built but the ergonomics are not to my taste.

7. Earl Bonovich

Nov 15, 2005
    Yes... I agree with that.
    If they where togglable... then there is no real issue with it...

Other then it just starts to add to the complexity of the unit, and the customer support level.

Customer > "I hit pause, but it starts to fast forward"
    CSR > "Did someone in your family turn on advanced feature 142?"

:)

8. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Agree. It must be an optional re-map for advanced users. Like the 30-second skip "backdoor" on the HR10.

I was very dismayed to see that D* plans to offer yet another remote (the RC64) with the same layout (but more device codes). Makes no sense to me. /s

9. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Personally, the way I would like to see it is as follows

PLAY always equals play
    PAUSE is a cycle - 1st press PAUSE, 2nd press SLO-MO, 3rd press PAUSE, etc.

What would this mean?

(1) you could stop exactly where you want to stop and then SLO-MO. yes, you do have to press teh PAUSE button twice to get to SLO-MO, but it beats having to hold PLAY down for 3 seconds.

(2) you couldn't use PAUSE to toggle play/pause.

To me, this scenario is the best situation given the lack of a SLO-MO button on the remote. If DIRECTV could do this (even if it were under advanced options), then I would be happy.

10. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I wonder if anyone ever uses the small PLAY button on the HR10 Peanut remote? If so, in what context do you use it? /s

11. jgriffin7

jgriffin7 Native Texan

Feb 16, 2007
    Now how exactly do we turn on feature 142 :)

12. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    I think we already established the precedent for advanced configuration options with the IAMNEDGECUTTER menu. /s

13. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007

14. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Actually I just tried, and SELECT only produces a "bong". INFO doesn't bring up the HR20's timeline either.

Only way to bring it up I can see is a quick double-click of the Play/Pause button, which will produce a slight playback hiccup, as Earl pointed out. Would be nice if Select did it as well, since it has no other use in the context of playback. /s

15. mikek

mikek Godfather

May 17, 2007
    I meant it should be the select button if they reprogram the play button. Makes more sense to me.

-mk

16. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    +1

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006

I have the same question. I love using play to just bring up the time/progress bar to see how much is left in a show [So I know if the big cliffhanger is coming]. If play became play/pause we wouldn't be able to do that anymore.

18. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    sure hope D* is writing all this down.. at least for the HR30..

19. GollyGee

GollyGee AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    You hit the nail on the head. I wish this were so.

20. Milominderbinder2

Milominderbinder2 Cutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Oct 8, 2006
    The second press of the PLAY button is the "Where Am I?" function.

We use that all of the time. Please do not take it away.

- Craig

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.