1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whys of the computer world

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by MarkA, May 25, 2004.

1. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Just some things I've been thinking about, add your own:

Why does Apple's iTunes for Windows have features the Mac version doesn't (WMA conversion, more burners supported)?

Why does Microsoft's Internet Explorer for Mac have a better rendering engine than the Windows version?

Why is the standard edition (additional apps like Publisher and Access aren't on Mac) of Office:Mac 2004 better than Office 2003 (it has more features: compatibility reports for older office users, new PowerPoint presenter tools, Entourage instead of Outlook (Entourage is much nicer), the office scrapbook and project center, etc)?

How come Microsoft's Virtual PC for Mac (which allows Macs to run Windows, very poorly (though the new Version 7 is supposed to be MUCH faster and will have 3D support)) costs $249 (INCLUDING a full XP Pro license), while buying Windows XP Pro on it's own to run on a real x86 PC costs $299 ?

How come the early versions available of the Xbox 2 software development kit hardware are Apple PowerMac G5s (yeah, I know - because the next Xbox uses the same processor as the PowerMac G5) running Windows NT? And when will Windows NT again become a release product for the PowerPC platform - surely this means it's inevitable.

Why is Dance Dance Revolution available for the PC when there are no PC dance mats (yeah I know, you use a PS - USB adapter)?

Why did the Sasser worm cause damage despite the patch being out in plenty of time to stop it?

Why does Secunia hate Apple (by overhyping a security bug no worse than several Windows has had without the excess hype generated)?

And why does Konami hate Nintendo? (No DDR for the GameCube :( )

Why oh why is this industry so confusing?

2. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Why does England have Guiness that tastes so much better than the bottled cr*p here in the states ? I miss my snakebites (half bitter/half lager) version. Warm beer rules. We can discuss the peculiararities of the computer world over a frothy warm pint. Some stuff just runs better on some stuff. Heck,, I had 98Se running perfectly on my pc for years, no BSOD's, no hiccups,, sigh,, then went to XP Pro and it doesnt like my booting from scsi setup and rolls over dead every other month or so because it cant find the ntoskrnl file. Go figure..

3. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    Probably because they would have to licence the WMA support from Microsoft, at a significant cost. There are more burners supported under the Windows operating system, unfortunately. Though many can also run on the Mac, they aren't officially supported there by the manufacturers.
    Because the underlying subsystems of the Mac are far superior to those in Windows.
    user apathy and ignorance.

4. mini1

mini1 Icon

Jan 25, 2004
    why does the latest version of Office always come out a year behind? say 2003 at the end of 2003? I think that is stupid.
    Why does Windows XP say its copywright ends at 2001? why not 2002 when it came out?
    why can't I change the login screen on Windows XP to a background picture that I choose?

5. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    "Why does Windows XP say its copywright ends at 2001? why not 2002 when it came out? "

Well actually, it did come out in 2001 :)

6. cclement

cclement Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 22, 2004
  7. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Banned User

Jan 11, 2004
    You can. You can also change the Bootup screen. Both using free utilities from Stardock. You can find Logonstudio at http://www.logonstudio.com and Bootskin at http://www.bootskin.com. Again, these are free, non-restricted utilities, with many many skins available at http://www.wincustomize.com and of course you can make your own using any JPG, GIF, or BMP pic you have available.

8. Jun 8, 2004 #8 of 13
    mindwarp

mindwarp Legend

May 18, 2003
  9. Jun 8, 2004 #9 of 13
    cnsf

cnsf Hall Of Fame/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 6, 2002
    I thought Grenadine was also part of the recipe....

Didn't they become illegal at some point? People turning violent, etc....

10. Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    They also used lemonade, but there is just a beer version,, pretty good too. Guess it depended on the pub you were in.

11. mainedish

mainedish Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2003
    Why does Radio Shack ask for your phone number? I don't know.

12. MarkA

Mar 23, 2002
    "Why does Radio Shack ask for your phone number? I don't know."

Phone number? You're lucky. They don't ask for anything here anymore, but they used to ask name, address, phone number - everything.

13. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Why do when I want to Shut Down my computer, I have to go to the Start menu :D