1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wi-Fi Problem with TV, ATV and FTV.

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by Rich, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I've been seeing random pixellation on devices using Wi-Fi. Only on my newest TV, a Samsung KS 8000. When using my ATV4 (also on Wi-Fi) I see the same pixellation plus weird video pauses (the audio continues, the video briefly stops). When using an FTV1 I see only the pixellation. When using the TV apps I see only the pixellation. I don't see any problems when using my upscaling BD player, but I don't use that for streaming just disc playback.

I've eliminated the devices as problems. It happens to all of them on the 8000. I don't have any issues with the HR24 on the 8000. That's not using Wi-Fi. My son was getting similar issues with his ATV4 downstairs. He got rid of the problem by using a hardwired Ethernet connection. I didn't want to do that, I didn't want a cable running in front of the fireplace.

I originally had all the devices on the 8000 using 5G Wi-Fi. A couple days ago I switched them all to a 2.4 setting. The pixellation appeared less often, but it was still there. I gave up and ran an Ethernet cable. The pixellation and the other issue with the ATV have stopped. I have ordered flat Ethernet cables that I think I can place in a manner where they won't be obvious.

I have two Netgear Nighthawk routers (a 7800 and an 8000), I use the 7800 as an Access Point. I have the house blanketed with Wi-Fi and have constant speeds of around 200+ down.

Now my question: Why do I get the pixellation when using either 5G or 2.4G on those devices? I can use 5 wireless settings, 3 5Gs and two 2.4s. All of them produce pixellation. I'm stumped.

Rich

2. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Aww, I have to amend the OP. I didn't put Ethernet cables on the ATV or the FTV. Yet, no issues last night on the ATV, it's still on a 2.4 wireless connection. Only the TV is connected by a hardwire. I'm gonna try the FTV today, but now I'm thinking the TV is the problem. Or one of the routers, or...I dunno.

Rich

3. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    And this just gets even weirder. I now have only the ATV4 on a hardwire and I see no pixellation on either the FTV1 or the TV apps using the Access Point router's 5G connection. I have tried a hardwired connection on the FTV1 and the TV set then put them back on wireless. My son's issues were only with his ATV4. Could the ATV4 I use have somehow corrupted the Wi-Fi signal? I'm gonna leave the setup as it is for the rest of today and see what happens. If no issues appear, I'll take the hardwire off the ATV4 tomorrow and see what happens.

Sound like I'm confused?

Rich

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    So ATV = All Terrain Vehicle, and FTV = Fox TV, right! You satellite guys talk a whole different language with your abbreviations. :confused:;)

5. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If I remember correctly the original DBSTalk site had a thread with all the acronyms defined.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Well my all terrain vehicle and my...aww, I'm pretty sure you understood.

Rich

7. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I would hope the context of my posts ruled out things like all terrain vehicles. I'm confused enough about my problem.

Rich

8. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Speaking of my problem, it got even more confusing yesterday. My son came home from work and we discussed the issues for a couple hours. I ended up taking the Ethernet cable off the ATV (that's an Apple TV box) and saw no pixellation on any of the TVs in my home when using a streaming box (that's a "box" that allows a stream of content to be displayed on a TV set). I have several FTVs (Fire TV boxes) and they showed no pixellation. All the streamers are wireless...for the moment. All this while using Wi-Fi. Wi-Fi definitely is key to this. Hardwire is one solution.

Why did the pixellation stop? What changed? The pixellation came back last night while watching a show on NF (that's NetFlix). After several hours of pixellation free viewing. I also saw the pixellation on Hulu later last night.

I don't think the issue with pixellation is caused by any of the streaming services that I employ. I'm reasonably certain it's not the TV set that's causing the pixies, they do show up on my son's LG LCD set and the plasmas. When watching the ballgame last night (and preceding games on preceding nights) I have seen no pixies (I can't keep typing "pixelations"). I think that proves the TV set/s is/are not at fault. I did, at first, think the TV might be at fault, but I'm pretty sure I've ruled that out. Yesterday I had the Ethernet cable on the ATV most of the day and saw not one pixie. That tells me it's a Wi-Fi problem of some sort. But I saw no pixies while the ATV was hardwired on either my TV apps or the FTV. How could a hardwired connection to one box affect the TV or another box? The only commonality is the HDMI connections to the TV from each box. And the TV is taking the HDMI feeds from the boxes. Is that a clue? I really don't see that as being valid.

Now my son is convinced Optimum (our ISP) is at fault. He thinks there are frequencies "riding" on the coax into the modem which feeds the primary router. I do worry about that boy at times.

I just got the flat Ethernet cables. I'm tempted to put a switch box in back of the TV and just hardwire the feed to the streamers and TV. Seems like settling and I don't like to settle. I need help!

Rich

9. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Lengthy post: I have a few 8 channel gigabit switches connected to my D-Link dual band ac router. Two of the four router outputs go to the switches, one is hardwired to my TiVo Roamio Plus, which feeds two TiVo Minis via a MOCa network and the remaining output goes to a TiVo Premiere in my room. The switches feed other computers, printers and two more TiVo boxes around the house.
    The house was prewired with Ethernet cable for phone and network -- The upstairs bedrooms have single cable outlets. The upstairs playroom and "web spot" each have two outlets as do downstairs bedroom, den and family room. Kitchen has one outlet, used by cordless phone base. Distribution is via a patch panel in a downstairs closet, allowing every cable outlet to be either phone or network. There are coax feeds to all bedrooms, den and family room, via a distribution amplifier.
    We have Spectrum for cable TV, internet and landline phone through an Arris telephony modem.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2017
  10. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I'm glad you cleared that up. I had no idea what you were talking about either!

11. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    I wonder if you have to many devices either to close to each other causing interference between them or they are all trying to use the same channels at the same time.

Try unplugging power on the two streaming boxes and see what happens if you use the tv apps. Then try only plugging in one of the streamers and maybe even pull it out and set it a few feat in front of the tv. Just a few things to try to see if it can be narrowed it down.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'd love to live in a house like that. Our house was built in the early 60s and it's just not fit for the new technology. And not for air conditioning either. If I had Ethernet connections in every room I wouldn't have spent ~ $500 on the two routers. But, it's paid for and worth a small fortune (to me, anyhow).

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Sorry, I assumed...well, you know how assumptions are.

Rich

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Wondered where you were, you must be laughing your butt off... :(

You might be onto something, I kinda think the Apple TV box might be a key to this issue. I only put the FTV box on the TV a few days ago. The pixellation didn't change. What is there in the ATV boxes that would cause the pixies? I don't understand that.

Rich

15. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    In just thinking its interference of the wifi signals with all of them to close. Not that there's anything actually wrong with any of them.

One other thing it could be is noise in your power. You have them on a power strip? What else is plugged into the power strip? Unplug everything from the power strip except the tv and one box at a time and see what happens. Power as you know can do interesting things especially wall warts if you have any.

16. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    My daughter in-law invited me to move down here after my wife passed away. My son and I joined forces and had a home built with two master suites (1 up, 1 down), plus 2 more bedrooms and activity room upstairs and LR, DR, kitchen, den and family room downstairs. We were able to select the wiring options, which worked out great. Initially, we had Dish for TV and Windstream for phone and DSL (ugh). After a few years, we switched to Time Warner for all three.

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I watched a couple NF discs last night and then turned the ATV on. Only used it for an hour, saw no pixies. I'm gonna relocate the ATV today, get it farther from the TV. I was just trying out the FTV1 on the new set, it's not nearly as good as the ATV, I think. I do have an FTV2 ordered, I'll put the FTV1 back where I got if from and see what happens. I don't think the FTV has anything to do with the pixies. Right now, I don't seem to be having enough issues to see what helps and what doesn't. I'm gonna take this slowly and try to do one thing at a time. I usually use the "shotgun method" and change many things at once, then I can't tell what helped.

The power line? Without a meter to tell me if I do have a "noisy" line I'm not gonna worry about it until I run out of options. Everything I have (regarding TVs and associated equipment) is on a power strip.

The sentence I changed the size of above lays out what I intend to do today. I'm gonna try to do this one step at a time...then I'm gonna lose my patience and use the new Ethernet cables.

Rich

18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm looking at new homes on Zillow every day. Fruitless pursuit. My wife is never gonna move.

Rich

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Does your wife cook a lot? If so, find one with a great kitchen.. Just sayin, that could be the push. Oh and a room you could make your own home theater room.

20. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Well, one way to help tell if you may have something else on the same circuit causing the issues is if its happening a lot, run an extension cord from another circuit and plug the strip into it. That might help dismiss that as an issue. If it still happens it could technically be something with the entire house, but since none of your other stuff has this issue, I have to believe if its noise related its on the same circuit.

Yeah, I think if its a matter of how many devices are next to each other, you will find no issues when you only have one at a time. And if that is the case, then its not any one devices fault anyway.