1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wife wants my head. Thanks HR20

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by Vin496, Sep 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vin496

Vin496 Mentor

Sep 14, 2006
    Wouldn't you know it, I set this thing up early this morning, and have been using it all day. testing the system out(recording shows, singlr tuner/both tuners watching vod while recording both tuners) All is well and dandy. Until my wife pops into the room, have the thing set up to record both Survivor and some other show she likes. Here comes 8 exactly the unit craps out. Starts recording both shows, wife ask me to put on a show we have on VOD so we can burn some time up. As soon as i hit the list button, thats it unit freezes, I sit here trying to figure out WTF just happened after 15 minutes say screw it and hit the little red button. A few minutes later unit is up and running again, recording the shows, go to switch from the show on the screen to the other, great freezes all up again. My wife is now just giving me that look(she is a Survivor fanatic) as I reset it for the 2nd time. I now sit here typing this while she is going on and on about how the tivo worked, why did I switch it, and so on. It figures the thing would wait for her to get me in trouble.

Anyone know what is causing this? If it does it a few more times, it's a gonner, and I'll just get another HR10.

2. PoitNarf

PoitNarf New Member

Aug 19, 2006
    Wait for the next software update which is coming soon and should hopefully solve many of the current problems... or you could get a new wife. The choice is yours.

3. dandrewk

dandrewk Cool Member

Sep 10, 2006
    I would suggest anyone who has a marriage at stake to record network content via Mpeg2 sources if possible. Maybe the network feeds. Anything else, you may get voted out of your home. :D

4. vikingguy

vikingguy Legend

Aug 1, 2005
    If you have the money I would suggest getting a HR10 as a back up or as the primary unit. The Hr20 is a new box and will have bugs feezes ect for most of this years new tv season. I would not consider using a new box as a primary for the fall TV season just asking for missed recordings or other wierd things. I am sure in 9-16 months the HR20 will be a solid dependable unit. With the 6.3 upgrade I see no point in using a HR20 as a primary unless you can't get OTA reception and dish has your locals on MPEG4.

I hope the wife does not get to mad and make ya sleep on the couch:).

5. O and A Party Rock

O and A Party Rock Cool Member

Aug 28, 2006
    The recording issue is occurring on mpeg 4 and 2 channels

6. randy_o

randy_o Cool Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I have a finished basement that has all my toys. HDTV, 10-250, xbox360, bar,music, etc. If I have problems when my HR20 is installed I don't have to worry about the wife. She has no say in what goes on down there.
    Plus she's always watching the standard tivo on the standard tv in the living room.
    She doesn't see what the big deal about hd is. Which is all the better for me!:)

7. sbcale

sbcale AllStar

Aug 19, 2006
    Same here. My HR20 is going in the basement until it is stable and then I will get another one for upstairs. My wife is plenty happy using the R10 and watching everything in SD. She would kill me if some of the shows we watch didn't record right. :D

8. rrbhokies

rrbhokies Legend

May 10, 2004
    Getting mine installed on Tuesday and wife said she doesn't want the HR20 in our Family Room on the new Sony LCD. So, wife and I came to an agreement that I'll install it in the basement on our older projection TV for the time being and let the bugs get worked out. Then, once everything is running good, I'll get a second one for the family room. I'm the one more interested in watching HiDef programming anyways, so this is probably the best way to handle it (and the safest for our marriage!!).

9. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    History doesn't agree. The original post sounds a lot like my R15 (in fact this whole forum is sounding familiar). Almost every time I go to use it I need to reset it because it's frozen. I know they're different "teams" with no common code but they work for the same company using the same development process. The R15 has been out and periodically updated for almost a year now.

10. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Agree completely.

I have 2 SD TiVo's that are for backup purposes only. They are in closet all alone, but they have saved me from OTA issues a couple of times.

11. JoeyJoJo

JoeyJoJo Mentor

Apr 17, 2006
    This is why I'm keeping my SD DTivo connected to the TV at first and am going to keep all SP's on that until I make sure the HR20 works as well as I want it to. Best of both worlds.

12. jtb50

jtb50 AllStar

Feb 10, 2006
    I did not have a Dtivo or a HR10 in the early days of their release.Was there as many problems with these units as there is with the R-15 and the HR20?

13. walters

walters Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2005
    I still have a DSR6000 that I bought in December 2000 (about a month or two after it came out), and it's never missed a recording or had any glitch that couldn't be explained by human error or bad guide data. Anecdotal, of course, but there it is.

The most significant bug fix I can recall was 2.0.1 (it shipped with 2.0) that unreversed the L and R channels on the optical PCM output (there was a hardware spec change that was somehow missed, so they implemented a software workaround).

14. Howie

Howie Godfather

Aug 16, 2006
    I got an HR20-700 at BB yesterday and hooked it up last night. The first thing I recorded was Survivor. When I went to play it back, it froze 50 minutes in. I tried again and it froze at the same spot. Not good.:nono2: Luckily, I have an HR10-250 and it recorded the program flawlessly, as always.

15. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    The TiVo code is rock solid. The one big issue was that the first batch of HR10's had severe HDMI problems.

Other than that, I have not had one single issue with any of my DirecTiVo's.

16. cdavis

cdavis Guest

Aug 11, 2006
    Don't you people feel inconvenienced by all that you have to do just because this things is unstable. I don't understand how you just shrug it off and say oh well. If this were you car, would you treat it the same?

17. rmingee

rmingee AllStar

Sep 11, 2006
    In my case, I knew I was in for this when I agreed to take an HR20 to replace a dying HR10. I *might* have been able to get an HR10 instead, but I ultimately decided I wanted to be ready for the MPEG4 rollout and not have to swap the HR10 then. I suspect your point is that no one should have to put up with this instability, because it should not have been released to the general public until it was stable. While I agree with you in theory, I'm been in the software business for pushing 20 years, and the reality is that a new release of ANYTHING has more bugs than you want. Companies push the envelope to get that revenue stream going.

Your last sentence reminded me of one of my favorite quotes:

If the car industry advanced at the same technological pace as the computer industry, a Mercedes would cost $300, get 90 miles to the gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. :D

-- robert

18. mika911

mika911 Godfather

May 1, 2006
    She can watch last night's survivor on CBS.com

19. Vin496

Vin496 Mentor

Sep 14, 2006
    That's what I told her last night, and it didn't over over too well.

Like I said I knew it was new and expected a few problems, but not neing able to even watch HD is not a problem, it means these boxes just don't work, plain and simple. I don't know how the hell they released this thing in such an unusable state. Did they even test it or are we the testers? I wouldn't mind if we were informed that we are part of a study group, but that isn't the case. Not once during purchase or hooking it up was I informed that "You know these things aren't working yet, we're still testing them."

I have to say I am kind of suprised with the "oh well" it will work one day attitude many seem to have with this. I guess it's because people her are aware that updates will happen and things will get fixed, but what if your just a regular customer who signed on and this is what they sent you? I know lots of people who don't have multiple TV with DVR hooked up to all units, those are the people that this things is gonna make go to cable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.