1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wildblue/birddog

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by sat tech, Sep 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 1, 2007 #1 of 20
    sat tech

sat tech AllStar

Jan 16, 2006
    Any satellite techs know which satellite to download to the birddog meter for wildblue????

2. Sep 1, 2007 #2 of 20
    aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    none

3. Sep 1, 2007 #3 of 20
    cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    None, WB techs use a special meter designed specifically for wild blue pointing and peaking.

4. Sep 1, 2007 #4 of 20
    litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    What's "wildblue"?

5. Sep 1, 2007 #5 of 20
    aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    satellite internet www.wildblue.com

6. Sep 1, 2007 #6 of 20
    aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007

well any signal test meter actually ... wildblue recommecds the channelmaster unit but any meter that reads 950 to 1450 will do (receive IFL freq)

7. Sep 1, 2007 #7 of 20
    cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    sure for the signal but they also have the APA.

8. Sep 1, 2007 #8 of 20
    aim2pls

aim2pls Icon

Jun 18, 2007
    true but the APA is to eliminate "other" spot beams ... its a simple band-pass filter

9. Sep 1, 2007 #9 of 20
    Randall DBS

Randall DBS Legend

Aug 4, 2002
    Im thinking about switching from Crimecast for internet to Wildblue, any one had any experience with it and is it any good?

10. BNUMM

BNUMM Hall Of Fame

Dec 23, 2006
    If you can get DSL, Cable or Wireless you should avoid satellite for internet service. Price and reliability are a couple of reasons.

11. or270

or270 Icon

Feb 12, 2006
    That would be a big mistake, Speeds are slower, latency is higher, cost is more.
    Do a lot of research before you make the 2 year commitment.

More info here-

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wildblue

12. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Both BNUMM and or270 are correct. Sattelite was designed to bring highspeed to those who couldnt otherwise get it. It is designed for basic browsing and email.

13. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I've got wildblue. It does ok, a lot better than dial-up. However, I'd jump ship in a heartbeat if I could get dsl, wireless, or cable.

14. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Tigers fan you got retail wildblue or whoelsale? I work for the company that does the support for the wholesale product.

15. HolyRoses

HolyRoses Mentor

Aug 11, 2007
    isdn would probably even be better. i used isdn for many years before cable/dsl was rolled out.

16. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Retail, I think. I had to pay like $300 up front and have the base package that runs $50 a month.

17. cnmsales

cnmsales Hall Of Fame

Jan 8, 2007
    Right on, what do you think about retails support? Or lack thereof? LOL if you ever get the chance to switch to wholesale id recomend it. Much better service and support.

18. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Luckily, I haven't had to use their support. Knock on wood.

I've had it for about 4 months now, and the only outage I had was a week or two ago (other than rain). When I called, I got a recorded message that they knew about the problem and were working to get it fixed. That was at night. When I checked it the next morning, it was back up and running.

19. Bly

Bly AllStar

Jul 9, 2007
    I wouldn't do this if you paid me $1000 a month to take the wildblue.

Internet via sat is pratically worthless unless you just browse websites and get email.

I'm responible for connecting 60 different locations spread out over Ohio, Ky, and Indiana. Internet Sat is the only connection that I won't use.

My Internet connection preferances:
    1: Fiber
    2: Cable
    3: DSL
    4: EVDO (RevA from Sprit is very decent.)
    5: T1 or ISDN (2 b channels 128k), T1 is usually over priced.
    6: If were within a couple miles of internet service we use our own wireless public frequency equipment (Tranzeo or Motorola Canopy) and rent space/internet from someones business or house that can get internet for us.
    7: EVDO card using the standard cell network, 1xRTT
    8: Dialup
    You'll notice Wildblue or any other sat isn't in there, it's just not worth it.

I'd rather be on dialup than Wildblue. The latency is that bad with sat.

VPN is nearly impossible on SAT, so is VOIP, the latency is out of this world, plus 1000ms or more. 1.5 to 2 second latency is common.

We're using a lot of EVDO in harder to reach places, sprint has a nice rollout in our area. Couple that with a Kyocera KR1 we can network a remote office for $60 a month and the speed is more than enough for what we do.

Wildblue should only be considered if there is NO other choice at all. Just my $.02.
    Basically I'd do wildblue if I was on an isolated island in the middle of the pacific without phone lines :)

20. TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    I have really enjoyed my wildblue service so far. Sure, it's not as good as dsl, cable, etc. but I've never seen anything claiming that it was. Coming from someone who actually has the service because the others aren't available here, it is much better than dial-up.

I have to disagree about it being worthless unless you just browse the web and get email. To me, that is what is lacking about my service. It is only a second or two quicker to load a webpage than the dial-up that I had before. Naturally, the more graphics on a webpage, the quicker it is compared to dial-up. Where I see the biggest difference is downloading files and things like streaming video or music. A 3 mb file would take 15 minutes to download when I had dial-up. It takes less than a minute for me to download the same file on WB. Also, I never knew what streaming video was until I dumped dial-up. (kidding, I knew what it was but could never see any)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.