1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wildfire season 2013 - only 2012 never ended

Discussion in 'The OT' started by phrelin, Jan 22, 2013.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    While a horrendous wildfire has been burning in Australia, several small ones have already occurred in parts of the U.S.

But perhaps the most curious news story has been the Fern Lake fire three miles away from Estes Park, Colorado, in the Rocky Mountain National Park, a fire that started in October and continues to smolder under several inches of snow in the bitter cold. (You can Google a story on it.)

So I thought I'd start the 2013 wildfire thread with more than a small amount of fear and trepidation, knowing that on Sunday there was this story Firefighters contain 80-acre wildfire northwest of Fort Collins with this picture:

[​IMG]

Meanwhile a Jacksonville Florida TV station offers this story Dry cold and winds bring more wildfire risk

Here in California CalFire's twitter feed shows only a Union Pacific freight train derailment with no fire near Colfax. Hopefully they'll continue to show no wildfires.

2. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    So I started this thread 01-21-13, 10:11 PM. only to have "Blaze consumes more than 300 acres" appear in our local headlines 24 hours later. Fortunately it started raining this morning and the fire was contained. Perhaps I shouldn't have started this thread....

3. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Seems like it's been a fairly wet winter for most of CA. The last two years have had very minimal Santa Ana winds in SoCal which has kept the big wildfires here to a minimum also. Of course that just means more fuel piling up in the foothills.

Sure would be nice to get some controlled burns done in the wet season to create buffer zones and just work off 'fuel' in areas not burned for long periods.

4. Feb 2, 2013 #4 of 51
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    And so it is two days into February and from Camp Blanding wildfire to grow to 700 acres:

5. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Just to note that wildfires have been burning, here are today's stories:
    Even though it's just March, these kind of headlines have appeared frequently across the country.

6. Apr 6, 2013 #6 of 51
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    For the record, a number of wildfires have occurred since my last post. Here are examples of stories:

From Kennedy Space Center, Florida:
    And from Bozeman, Montana:
    And from California:

7. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    http://ktla.com/2013/04/26/ca-officials-worried-by-45-jump-in-wildfires/

8. May 1, 2013 #8 of 51
    phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  9. May 2, 2013 #9 of 51
    trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
    Yep, looking like May may be the new October...

Banning fire is over 3k acres now and another one threatening Camarillo, CA

10. trdrjeff

trdrjeff Icon

Dec 3, 2007
  11. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Yeah, here's the AP story on the Camarillo Fire forces evacuation of campus, homes in Calif. which tells us:
    And the LA Times Story headline (notice the plural): California fires: Residents flee as flames advance along with the ominous picture:

[​IMG]

Red flag warnings have extended up and down the entire State this October week April-May week but we're safe because Jerry Brown says us he has a lot of money. Of course he and the Legislature will have to reallocate it back to CalFire, see if they can find some planes since the feds have sequestered their fire resources, etc.

12. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    And we have more fires in Northern California Fires burning near Butte Meadows. And a story at a Sacramento TV station tells us:
    Here's the CalFire map of major incidents this year, red ones being active right now:

[​IMG]

13. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
  14. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    It is totally nuts here in Colorado, while there are wildfires in one area in other areas we are getting extreme late season snowfall. I dont know what to expect anymore

15. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    From a wildfire standpoint, this drought conditions projection map is not very encouraging for those of us who live in Northern California and Oregon.

[​IMG]

16. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    California is definitely in the national news, I have seen multiple reports on the fire outside Camarillo

17. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
  18. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    The AP story tonight explains:
    What's so frustrating is that this fire season was predictable, but the State really wasn't prepared and still isn't.

19. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    I know some I've talked to feel like I'm overreacting about how botched the State of California 2013 wildfire planning has been, but the Ventura County Star which keeps one of those timed latest development reporting logs going reported this tonight:

Sounds great, but they should have been flying this morning.

20. phrelin

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...