1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wilkes-Barre Scranton HD locals

Discussion in 'DISH™ High Definition Discussion' started by farmdog, Oct 20, 2008.

1. farmdog

farmdog Cool Member

Jan 24, 2004
    I have been waiting for quite some time to get HD locals from Dish in my DMA. I was happy to see the press release announcing they are now available. However, I come to find out one major problem. They are being delivered by a spot beam that does not cover the entire DMA. I live in Lewisburg PA and through many chats with Dish, they confirm that the signal in my area is estimated to be, "at best" 30%. Others in my area are reporting signals in 5%-10% range resulting in no usable signal.

My question is, am I out luck for ever getting my HD locals from Dish? Do I have any options other than switching to cable or Direct to get them? I am a big DVR user and from what I have read the Direct HD DVR is very buggy with lots of audio sync issues and missed recordings so I'm reluctant to go that route. I understand the cable co version are not any better.

I really want to stay with Dish for the DVR, but I also want my HD!

Any suggestions?

2. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    This point has been posted and no one seems to know what Dish is going to do. Did the person you talked to know anything? Also note that WNEP is the only HD channel being delivered for Scranton at this point, so you really aren't missing much.

3. sdschramm

sdschramm Legend

Aug 15, 2007
    As said in the other threads, I too am in this area (Williamsport) and can not get enough signal (5) either.

I think this is all BS - Dish lets out press releases saying they just added all these new HD locals - but in reality, the only added ONE or TWO chs in each area, and the spot beams are wide enough to cover the WHOLE area. Therefor, it is FALSE ADVERTISING!

I think we should all get together and do something about this!

Any suggestions?
    -Scott

4. farmdog

farmdog Cool Member

Jan 24, 2004
    It took alot of work to get someone to admit that there may be a problem, let alone offer a solution. All they would tell me is that I should be able to get an "acceptable signal". When I pushed them to find out what this meant, they told me that it meant "above the minimum level to receive a usuable signal". They told me that I should be able to get around a 30%, but that I would be more prone to signal loss due to weather, etc. When I asked why everyone in my area has only 5-10% and no usable signal, they said it must be due to the surrounding terrain.

So, basically, no solution, just here is what we have....take it or leave it.

5. riah

riah Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Is any one actually receiveing this channel in HD. All I get is the "problem with .... no need to call" message. I called dish and got no solid answers. I called local retailer and was told it was an uplink issue.

6. garys

garys Hall Of Fame

Nov 4, 2005
    I have heard that the spot beam WNEP was put on does not cover the entire dma. If you are indeed in central PA that would explain it.

7. farmdog

farmdog Cool Member

Jan 24, 2004
    I agree, that does explain it. My question is, what do I do about it? I am guessing the answer is nothing can be done unless I was to switch to Direct.

Any other suggestions?

8. AMD_GAMER

AMD_GAMER Cool Member

Mar 3, 2008
    I am receiving WNEP in HD. I have a twin dish setup with 110/119 on the first dish and 61.5 as the wing dish. WNEP in HD looks pretty good, however it has cut out a few times, particularly during last Sunday's Nascar race. The screen would actually go completely yellow for 3 seconds or so, then would return to the broadcast. Not sure if its a signal problem, or just a broadcast issue. I just want to receive the other channels in HD for the football. BTW, I live in Saylorsburg, near Stroudsburg. So, very eastern part of the state.

9. farmdog

farmdog Cool Member

Jan 24, 2004
    Glad to hear someone is getting the spot beam. From what I understand it is the western part of the DMA that has the signal strength issues.

Anybody in the Williamsport, Milton or Lewisburg area able to actually pull this channel in?

10. loug1212

loug1212 Cool Member

Sep 21, 2007
    I live 30 miles south of the Wilkes Barre/ Scranton area, so I am able to receive the locals in HD. The problem is only one channel is in HD (WNEP). Does anyone know what the holdup is with the other stations?

11. riah

riah Cool Member

May 15, 2008
    Has any one been able to get dish to resolve this issue for them and if so how?