1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will 622 work like my 921 in my set up?

Discussion in 'ViP612/622/722/722K DVR Support Forum' started by David K, Feb 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David K

David K AllStar

Nov 27, 2004
    Currently I have a 921, I use both the SD and HD outputs, I run DVI to my TV for HD and S-vid for sd (s-vid unlocks my set out of full allowing me to use my sets stretch modes, I can't stand Dish's short and squatty stretch modes or bars). Now looking at the 622 I see it has the HDMI for TV1 which I'll adapt to DVI for hd, and I see it has an S-vid as well for TV1 which I could run for SD like my 921. But there is only one set of composite audio outputs for TV1 (which is no big deal I can get Y adapters), my question I guess is, will there in fact be an s-vid output on the 622? I don't believe the 942 has one, and will the HDMI and s-vid both be active at the same time? On my 921 there not and I have to switch between SD and HD on the receiver to get the output desired. Another question. I use my 921 to control one TV, if I have the 622 control 2 TV's, if my son is watching a program in the bedroom on one of the tuners, will I be forced to watch whats recording in the the living room on the other tuner? If so the 622 will be in single user mode and hooked up to one TV like my 921. Any help will be appreciated.

2. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    I'll refresh this thread with some more 921 to 622 switchover questions for the experts:

I currently have my 921 connected with RGBHV via the DVI cable adapter.

Can the 622 connect this way or do I need to get a DVI in free'd up on my monitor.

Second- I have my current CBS National through personal waiver which is on my 61.5 dish. When the installer comes to install the new Dish1000 to be compatible with the new mp4 channel lineup. how will that affect connection of the 61.5 dish, or will WCBS- HD be available on another bird that is received with the Dish1000?

3. BoisePaul

BoisePaul Godfather

Apr 26, 2005
    Short answer: No.

The 622 has HDMI, which can be converted to DVI-D. However, that's a digital-only signal and cannot be converted to RGBHV. It would probably be easier and cheaper (but still fairly pricey) to convert the component signal to RGBHV.

4. DonLandis

DonLandis Hall Of Fame

Dec 17, 2003
    Thanks, I have all forms of input but that means I'll just need to do some swapping around since I will have three DVI only devices and 2 DVI switchable inputs to the video switcher. Could use component, I suppose but my system shows a visible difference between RGBHV and Component. Also an equal difference with DVI and RGBHV. What I see doing is a blind test of the systems as a shootout between the 622 and the HDTIVO. Then which one wins the quality test, gets the component. Somehow I suspect it will be the 622 since I'll have all those channels of HD unless the reality is that Dish HD in MP4 bombs. I have yet to witness MP4 in HD on a high end monitor yet. Everyone I read seems to believe it will be perfect. I'll reserve judgement until I see it.

5. Rob Glasser

Rob Glasser Hall Of Fame Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2005
    Here are some answers based off of my expierences with the 942 coupled with what I have read about the 622:

Yes

Yes, assuming that the 622 is like the 942 all outputs are active all the time, there is no switching between SD/HD like the 921.

Yes and no. If you are running in Dual Mode the "living room" or TV1 output is limited to 1) OTA Tuner, 2) First Sat Tuner, 3) Any recorded content. The 2nd Sat tuner is dedicated to the TV2 or in your case "bedroom" TV. So, for example, if you are in dual mode, recording a show via the satellite tuner dedicated to TV1 you can only watch that show, a recorded show, or any OTA channel. Does this make sense? Also, the since the OTA tuner is dedicated to TV1, if you are in dual mode the TV2 outputs can not use that tuner, however it can view content recorded via that tuner.

6. David K

David K AllStar

Nov 27, 2004
    Yes it makes perfect sense, and thank you. The 622 will be devoted to one TV, I just don't want to wait until April.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.