1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will a wireless bridge work to provide internet access to MRV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by mongo, May 19, 2010.

1. mongo

mongo Mentor

Jan 21, 2004
    I have an MRV install being completed today. Does anyone know if there Is there any reason why a wireless bridge would not work to hook the MRV into my home network for my internet connection?

Also, the installer told me that I would not have to have phone lines hooked up to each machine after the install. Is this true?

Thanks

2. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    Phone lines are not required, only if you want callerID to work on that tv. The wireless hookup should work fine as long as there is no interference or the unites are not to far away from each other.

3. hilmar2k

hilmar2k Hall Of Fame

Mar 18, 2007
    It will work, but is not the recommended setup.

4. mongo

mongo Mentor

Jan 21, 2004
    Any idea why it would not be recommended? The only thing the internet will be used for is on demand downloading (I think), and my wireless network is a lot faster than my internet connection?

5. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Not quite sure what the question is.

If it's can I use wireless for MRV? the answer would be: it doesn't always work well.

If it's can I use wireless to bridge from my DECA/connected home network to my home network for internet access, then YES.

6. mongo

mongo Mentor

Jan 21, 2004
    The question is the latter. Thanks.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I assume you mean that your wireless is faster than your LAN connection? Most people have 100 Mbps wired home networks while wireless can now get upwards of 300 Mbps when using Wireless-N. However, don't forget that you are ultimately limited by what your actual Internet connection is, so you won't really gain much benefit with DirecTV on Demand by using your network wirelessly over wired.

- Merg

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Answered above. This was to "hop" to the home network from the DECA network.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Correct. I was just pointing out that going wireless is not really going to be a benefit over going wired even if wireless is faster on your home network.

- Merg

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Guess this kind of comes down to the what your sending over the wireless hop. Most internet would be much slower than even wireless, so the user wouldn't see any difference/problems [unlike within the home traffic].

11. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Yup. Exactly my point!

- Merg