1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will D* add PBS HD to locals with D10/D11?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by donshan, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    I am way down the list in my DMA to get D* HD locals when D11 goes live, but am now considering adding D* to two BRs soon( that now only have basic cable), because of the new expanded HD coming soon. However I also want to add our local PBS HD station I now get on our one D* Family Rm HDTV via antenna. This local PBS station has the national PBS-HD channel running 24/7 with stunning PQ , and I am NOT willing to give up that PBS-HD channel when I put D* HDTV in the other two rooms. I now get this PBS station in SD on D* locals, but that is the regular PBS that the local broadcast PBS carries on one digital sub channel.

I notice that all the cities that now get HD locals do not get their local PBS HD staton. Is this D* policy of "4 main networks only" just a current bandwidth problem that will be solved by the D10/D11 expansion, or are there some issues that will prevent the local PBS-HD stations from ever getting into the D* HD local lineup?

Is my solution to forget about future D* HD locals and just run another RG6 cable from my roof antenna, since I get all 4 networks in HD now, plus the great PBS station? The antenna has a Channel Master preamp so I could put in splitters.

With the huge investment D* is making to provide HD locals, I am just surprised they leave out PBS-HD since that will be a deal killer for me. I would appreciate learning about any experience of those of you who already have the D* HD locals and also want your local PBS-HD and how you solved the problem of getting it to multiple rooms.

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Well.. D* breaks that "policy" in a few cities (such as Chicago, where we also get CW (WGN) )...

It is most likely just a bandwith issue right now, and they have stated that the new sats will give them the capacity for 1,500 more HD LIL...

Will PBS be one of them... probably... highly doubtfull that it will be a national PBS-HD feed... but until both are up... and any announcements are made... there really is no way to know for sure.

3. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007

Thanks for info and sorry for posting on wrong thread- newbie error not knowing all the arrangements yet. :)

4. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    In LA we also get 5 HD locals, but not PBS-HD. I know there's been a lot of discussion as to why not. My opinion: PBS is not a network like other networks. It's more of a loose organization of local non-profit organizations, more like the Red Cross. I don't know how easy it would be to negotiate with a group like that.

5. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome... and not a problem.
    It is easy to move them... :)

6. NYSmoker

NYSmoker Icon

Aug 19, 2006
    NYC doesn't get the CW, PBS or My Network TV (or whatever they are calling themselves now). Since we are the biggest I hope we are on the top of the list.

7. MRinDenver

MRinDenver Legend

Feb 3, 2003

And until we do, my Yagi stays on my roof. That new Ken Burns WWII series will probably be too good to watch in SD.

8. Badger

Badger Legend

Jan 30, 2006
    I also pickup PBS OTA from Madison Wisconsin 56 miles from me. I heard somwhere that one of the reasons D* doesn't have PBS is that they (pbs) want all of their sub stations on and it's all or nothing. The PBS station in Madison WI has 5 count em 5 sub stations using bandwidth meant for one station. Personally I wouldn't miss PBS if it went off the air but that's just me! :D

9. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    Badger is 100% correct. I "get" 5 different PBS stations in metro Philly, 3 have 5 subchannels, one has 3 and the other just 1.

It's crazy.

PBS is a joke right now... They should go back and be "NET" - National Eductional Television.

10. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    My local cable companies carry PBS in HD, including subchannels, so I don't see why there would be negotiation problems with D*.

11. admiral39

admiral39 Legend

Nov 6, 2006
    Reference all of the trouble with the Lin TV networks. I still don't get CBS in HD over D*. :nono2:

12. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Your local cable company has the bandwidth to carry all the subchannels in the few markets its upports. but D and E are natioanl and the bandwidth problem is a much bigger issue.

13. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    The problem with PBS is that they want DirecTV to carry all the subchannels in every market, not just any channels transmitting in HD. If DirecTV did this it would mean transmitting everyone's subchannels - here in DFW for example that would double the total number of channels DirecTV would need to carry. Presumably some of the subchannels would have to be handled as SD locals. Obviously the subchannels would need bandwidth, but the biggest issue is that they would all need separate channel equipment.
    Also in some cities PBS switches subchannels on and off depending on whether they need to use the bandwidth for an HD program. The whole thing is an administrative nightmare.

14. DawgLink

DawgLink Woof Woof Woof

Nov 5, 2006
    Washington, DC
    Earl, when will WGN HD go national? When the D10 is working?

15. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    A source that I asked in WGN engineering about this said they're still working on the infrastructure on the WGN Superstation side of the house to allow for a HD signal, they hope to be done with that by mid 2008.

16. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    I never the 4 PBS channels. WHOA lots of sub channels in the SF Bay area.

17. dpstang

dpstang Cool Member

May 27, 2007
    THe Hd channel of WGN is carried on Starchoice (ch #294). Why can't DirectTV use the same feed.

18. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Is it the WGN Superstation feed or the local Chicago WGN? All I can think of is that the local WGN feed can't be used in the states since due to legal reasons it doesn't carry exactly the same programming, but since it's in Canada it doesn't matter.

19. Bitz69

Bitz69 AllStar

May 26, 2007
    According to my local PBS station, Directv contacted them and told them they would be carrying the HD version in the 4th quarter. Not that I watch much, if anything, on PBS but....

20. donshan

donshan Godfather

Jun 18, 2007
    Thanks for the info on your local PBS and to others above for their input. I respect your decision to watch what you feel is important. There is a wide diversity of interest which explains the large number of very specialized channels on D*. I don't have any interest in Gem stones but there is a channel devoted to it. Some couldn't do without MTV, but I can. So let me make a case for PBS-HD. And this is for all the readers of this thread-

I am not addressing Bitz69 specifically, but rather all those who don't watch much PBS with the following:

Surveys have shown a large number of Americans are "science/math/geography" challenged. Our youth are "on average' not keeping up with students in Asia, Russia, and Europe in their "world education" . Most standard network programs are aimed at attracting the audience that the advertisers want to reach to "sell you something". The program is the bait to get you to watch the ads. On PBS contributions provide much of the support giving them freedom to explore different areas.

Right now, our country faces a very difficult confrontation with radical elements in Islam and I think it is important for all Americans to have an understanding of the history of this conflict that goes back centuries.

A recent PBS-HD program "Cities of Light: The Rise and Fall of Islamic Spain" was simply outstanding in explaining the historic roots of the Christian-Jewish-Muslim conflict. If it is playing in your area I highly recommend it.

If you want to test your geography knowledge of countries that get mentioned in news reports just about every day , try the no pass/fail geography fun game at(or help your kids too):

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/just_fun/games/mapgame.html

Perhaps this little game will tell you if PBS documentaries might be a useful addition to your TV fare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.