1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DECA setup allow for On-demand?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by JayMatt77, May 13, 2010.

1. JayMatt77

JayMatt77 Mentor

Aug 25, 2009
    My HR22 is not currently networked to my router. If I have the DECA system installed, will that give me the internet connectivity needed for On Demand services in addition to allowing for MRV, or will I still have to connect the HR22 to directly my router (hardwired or otherwise) in order to use On Demand?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    If DECA is setup with internet connectivity... (DECA doesn't require internet).
    It will give you access to on-demand.

3. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    As long as they're able to connect the router to a DECA unit. You just to have the router near a cable run.

4. beer_geek

beer_geek Legend

Jun 14, 2007
    Your router will still have to be connected to the DECA network.

5. JayMatt77

JayMatt77 Mentor

Aug 25, 2009
    Thanks guys. I planned on having the DECA unit connected to my router. I'll just need the installer to run a cable since the router and DVR are in adjacent rooms.

Additionally, will I be able to use an ethernet splitter to connect my BD player and HR22 to the DECA unit in order to have internet connectivity for the BD player as well?

6. jpitlick

jpitlick Icon

Apr 19, 2007
    There is no such thing as an ethernet splitter. You could connect an ethernet hub/switch between the DECA and receiver (though this is not supported, as far as I can tell). Otherwise, the HR22 has a second ethernet port which serves as a passthrough. That should work to connect your BD player.

7. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Not supported, but the DECA can be connected to a switch along with the receiver and BD player. I actually have 2 receivers sharing one DECA via a switch but that's about to change.

Tom had previously posted that this is not recommended as it may interfere with the receiver's functioning.

8. JayMatt77

JayMatt77 Mentor

Aug 25, 2009
    Seems like running a patch cable from the BD player to the HR22's second ethernet port is the way to go...almost sounds too easy!

9. JayMatt77

JayMatt77 Mentor

Aug 25, 2009
    Tom had previously posted that this is not recommended as it may interfer with the receiver's functioning.[/QUOTE]

Ah...so I guess using a switch/hub is a safer bet. Does "not supported" mean D* won't assist me if I have an issue with such a configuration, or does it void any warranties?

10. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    What it really means is that DirecTV has found problems with the DVR functions when doing this.

11. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    Well, you won't find it in any of their documentation, DirecTV wouldn't connect it this way and if problems arose, DirecTV definitely wouldn't assist with this configuration in place. You'd definitley want to reconnect in the supported manner and then call for support if problems still existed. Plus, I wouldn't overload the DECA system with non-DirecTV equipment. I'm doing it to share a connection with 2 receivers for now, and will be changing that when I get my HR24.