1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DirecTV do an iPad client for HR2X

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by DMG, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    After seeing the iPad introduction keynote yesterday I'm wondering/hoping/praying that DirecTV introduces the ability to do remote viewing on the iPad. If the remote viewing is limited to the local network, I don't see how it would be something DTV would want to avoid. But of course it would be even more awesome if you could view anywhere, a la Slingbox. And I'm sure Slingbox will be updating THEIR iPhone client to take advantage of the large iPad screen.

But clearly DirecTV (and TiVo for their DirecTivo and stand alone TiVos) are in a position to allow a much more satisfying remote viewing experience by integrating control of the DVR directly into the app rather than relying on IR commands, etc.

I'm not optimistic but THIS would be a fantastic direction for DirecTV to go.

2. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    Sling is owned by Dish...

I don't think DirecTV will be building a remote viewing app for the iPad. For none other than the same reason there is no remote viewing on the PS3. It's DLNA compliant, but there's no authorization on the client end (except for DirecTV2PC).

To expand upon this thought, I beleive DirecTV's iPhone and Android apps interact with DirecTV.com, not the DirecTV receiver/your network. Any commands sent to the receivers are sent to the website, which is sent to a backend, which is sent down the sat stream, not over the network, so there is no way their current app would be able to do remote viewing, because DirecTV can't send your playlist/etc back up the sat stream (atleast, not that I am aware of).

3. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    It would be nice, but I don't see it happening, at least not anytime soon. If they were interested in doing this they could have already done it with the iphone, or ipod touch. Not to mention the PS3 that has been showing the HR2x recordings in it's media list for a long time now but still can't play the files.

4. MadManNBama

MadManNBama AllStar

Jan 31, 2008

I agree Beerstalker, I think this would be great and take care of my never missing a game while keeping me watching the commercials the TV companies love so much. However, I think Sling has this cornered with a hefty patent. The Sling app for the iPhone already has this covered...but only over WiFi which sucks

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    That's just one of the faults that the iPad has in common with the iPhone.

I think it likely that Sling has already got something in the works for the iPad given its similarities to the iPhone and iPod Touch. I'm sure they would have hoped for Flash support as that seems to be where Sling is going.

6. DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    I thought I'd bump this thread since a lot has happened since I posted it in January.

In 6 months Apple has sold 7M+ iPads and it looks like it will be selling a ton more. A number of companies have signed up to support television viewing from your DVR to the iPad, including Time Warner, Verizon FIOS, and Dish Network. It looks like AT&T's U-verse allows viewing from an iPhone and iPod touch; one would think iPad support would be forthcoming.

So: will DirecTV do an iPad client for HR2X? If so, when?!

7. DMG

DMG Legend

Feb 7, 2008
    Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.