1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Directv let me..

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by willis3, Oct 19, 2011.

1. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    I am looking to upgrade to HD as Directv is adding my locals.
    I have 1 HD tv and 1 SD tv. Both set have a DVR now.
    Will D* allow me to get 2 HD DVR's?

2. bixler

bixler Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2008
    PA
    Yes....I have 3 HD DVR's. Since you are upgrading you may be able to get them free for at least deeply discounted. Call in and ask what their best offer is for your account.

3. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Depending on what dish you have now, DirecTV may need to change the dish.
    Also, if you decide to go with a Whole Home DVR (MRV) setup this may get you the HD DVRs free.

4. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    Just got off the phone with D*. They offered to upgrade my dish and 1 DVR
    to an HD DVR for free. The second DVR will cost me $49 to upgrade to a HD box.
    Then $10 per month for HD. Does this sound good or should I try for a better
    deal?

5. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    That is a good deal, as the normal price is $199 each for the DVRs. New customers get the first one free and a second receiver.

Make sure you specify you need two HD DVRs. Don't even mention that one of your TV's is SD.

6. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    Thanks.. I am asuming the SD tv with a HD dvr will atleast have some what of a better
    picture then straight SD?

7. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    no sir SD is SD ....no HD without all the proper equipment

8. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    But say HD from box.. component to sd tv, has to look better then straight sd to tv right?

9. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    well a/v cables provide a better picture but if your tv is only 480 then you will only see 480....might be a tad bit clearer but that will just be a cabling issue nothing to do with the rcvr or tv

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    HD channels downrezed on an SD tv look miles better than SD version of the same channel. I did this for about 6 months before I bought my 1st HDTV to replace my 35" Mits tube SDTV.

11. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    Thanks.. I am going to go for 2 HD DVR's.. then replace the SD tv later..

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Good deal on the DVR, but you can get HD free depending on your package and if you signup for Autopay.

13. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    The girl I talked to told me to call back after the install to add HD.
    She said there would be a better deal available to me then... ?

14. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    I will second this.

I am still doing this on my 27" CRT in the basement. You will have the option to have the HD-DVR letterbox the 16:9 HD channels or crop them to fit a 4:3 screen. Personally I prefer letterbox so I get to see the whole picture, but some people really seem to hate black bars.

15. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    If you ordered 2 HD-DVRs they you already have HD Access. It has to be on the account if you have HD-DVRs unless you live in certain areas.

Willis3, what city do your local channels come from?

16. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    One thing you might check on before you complete the order. I remember reading that some of the SD DVR's were actually capable of being used as HD DVR's. I don't recall which model it was, but if you have that model, you might want to get the one free DVR and possibly skip paying $49 for the second HD receiver or DVR. From what I recall, you simply had to subscribe to HD and they would then work as an HD DVR. I've never owned any SD DVR's, so maybe someone that is more familiar with this can confirm this?

17. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    Elmira NY locals... I got 2 HD dvr's.. 1 free.. 1 for $49.
    I didn't sign up for HD. The CSR said call a month or so after install and get a deal
    on HD then.

18. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    OK, I guess I misunderstood where you were at in the order process. Although, I didn't think they would upgrade you to HD DVR's w/o adding HD?

19. willis3

willis3 Godfather

Feb 2, 2007
    They surprised me there to.. went through pricing and said if you would like HD it would be $10 per month..

20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    The CSR is wrong;

DIRECTV will not supply nor activate an HD STB receiver or DVR without HD service. However as was previously stated you may be able to get the $10.00 HD access fee waived for two years if you agree to uninterrupted auto-pay billing during that period.

EDIT Correction: If you are in an MPEG-4 only locals market you may have HD equipment without HD service. And Elmira N.Y. being one of the newer markets is one of them.

Sorry my bad ...