1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will directv put me on new commitment if i swap/add boxes?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by lowspeed, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oct 8, 2007 #1 of 20
    lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    1) if i buy off ebay, how do i know if its leased or owned?
    2) will directv lock me in for adding or swapping boxes?

Thanks.

2. Oct 8, 2007 #2 of 20
    jimborst

jimborst Legend

Jun 13, 2006
    Um....wrong forum-you're on the DishNetwork side.

3. Oct 8, 2007 #3 of 20
    James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Easily fixed ... :)

4. Oct 8, 2007 #4 of 20
    Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    If it is a owned box there is no commitment. But if you buy one from E-Bay, reguard less what the seller says, you don't know what you are getting until you call and try to activate it..

5. Oct 8, 2007 #5 of 20
    lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007

Can i call them and ask if its owned ?

6. Oct 8, 2007 #6 of 20
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Call whom?

7. Oct 8, 2007 #7 of 20
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    i would say you have a 99.9999999% that you got a leased receiver regardless on where you purchased it.

to normally be a considered a owned receiver, the cost is would be $700, so unless you spent that you don't own it.

and with Ebay "buyer beware" you never know until you go to activate it if the access card has a previous balance on it preventing you to get it activated.

8. Oct 8, 2007 #8 of 20
    bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    I believe what the earlier post implied was this. If you owned the D* receiver YOURSELF then there would be no new committment. Buying off of eBay is always a gamble. Sometimes the receivers are still linked to unpaid accounts and even if it is clean, D* will usually make you purchase a new card which then kicks in the committment. I think you are stuck, but that is just my .02 worth. Good luck and I hope it works out for you. The only way to know is to call D* and ask them yourself.

9. Oct 8, 2007 #9 of 20
    lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007

Well i'm just swapping... so i already have a card ... or do they have new cards for the h20 ?

10. tim81

tim81 Legend

Jul 2, 2007
    all newly activated boxes in the D* system default to "leased", ask to speak to someone in the access card dept, they are the only ones who can change it to owned or research definitively whether the box is leased or owned

11. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    Am i the only one thinking that directv is trying to scam NEW and existing customers with this fake lease ?

New customers have to shall out a lot of money upfront and commit to a 2 years agreement and then they don't own it. It's a total scam.

12. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Different than a car lease or apartment lease or any other lease how?

Most leases of any kind ask for money up front and a commitment. That's practically the definition of lease. If you don't want to lease, I think you might have the option of buying the equipment outright, but it's around $700.

So, how is that a scam?

13. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    It's a scam because the true value of an H20 is $75-200 MAX. There's no way that that thing in the free market would cost $700 .

The car lease analogy doesn't stick for so many reasons.

I would say CELL phones analogy would be more appropriate. And most cell phone carriers will let you join with no commitment if you already have a phone.

14. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    How do you come up with $200 MAX?

The Series 3 Tivo's are $600 - $800 with a smaller hard drive.

If you think it's a scam, I'd suggest you don't swap boxes and let your commitment run out so you can use another provider.

15. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    I said the H20... thats just a receiver... yet they want you to pay $99 plus lease it.

Thats what i call redicules.

Why are you so anti consumer ?

I don't have a commitment ... been with them for 5 years. I don't like the change. it's very anti-consumer.

16. vurbano

vurbano Godfather

May 15, 2004
    The upfront lease fees are ridiculous. If they had charged me one I wouldnt be with them.

17. bluesman40220

bluesman40220 Legend

Jul 13, 2006
    Lowspeed, one way to look at what D* is doing is like this. Somewhere down the line, D* paid someone for R&D of this unit. They put all their money up front and now they are just recouping some of their investment. What D* is doing is no different than any other company that leases their equipment. It is what it is and that is a LEASE. As someone pointed out to you above you do have the option to buy, but that is usually cost prohibitive. However, if you front the money for your own equipment then I believe you will not be committed to any term agreements. The sword cuts both ways. Most subscribers don't like D*'s new leasing business model, but it works for D*. It keeps D*'s subscriber churn down and higher quality subscribers pay more for their television vices. :D

18. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I'm not anti-consumer, but I also don't complain about someone else's business model. If I don't like someone's model, I don't use them. I'll find someone with a better business model. IMO, D*'s business model is fine for me. But then again, I've never paid for any equipment from them (and I'm on my 5th DVR as of 3 weeks ago).

19. lowspeed

lowspeed AllStar

Oct 8, 2007
    How ?

20. spartanstew

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    I've called and asked.

3 weeks ago I called and told them I wanted to upgrade to HD and asked what they could do for me.

I received a free HR20
    Free 5 LNB dish
    Free installation
    Free HBO for 6 months
    Free Showtime for 6 months
    Free HD for 1 year
    $10 credit for 1 year
    I had to pay $20 for shipping.

They also offered me free DVR fees for 1 year, but I'm already lifetime and didn't need it.

Every CSR is different, so you never know what deal you'll get. I got a pretty good one, but I'm also a 5 heart customer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.