1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Directv replace a slow Receiverr?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by gator1234, Jun 12, 2011.

1. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    I have an HR22-100 that is now very slow on everything. You push any button and it takes 5 seconds or longer to respond either from the remote or pushing the buttons on the receiver. I have rebooted, done a reset and it is still very slow. It was much faster in the past. As an example if I want to delete a show (half hour in length) it says "please wait" and the progress bar runs for 20 seconds or so before it will delete.

Will Directv replace the receiver and if so what are they sending out these days. I guess I could end up with a unit older than the HR22-100.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Its possible but unlikely.

Tune to channel 1 and when it's fully up, enter the sequence red, red, blue, Blue, yellow, green. You'll see a nvram cleared message.

Also if you use the DirecTV remote:
    http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=184693

The CEO has also stated that the new GUI is much faster, he said we should start seeing it in october.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Call 'em up and go thru the routine with them on the phone. They'll have you do a RBR and maybe run a test or two before they decide to do an exchange.

If they do approve an exchange, you probably get another refurbish unit that might and might not be better,

4. Clemsole

Clemsole Godfather

Sep 8, 2005
    Washington...
    If D* was to replace all receivers "that is now very slow " they would have to replace every unit that is in use right now. They all suck.

5. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    how full is the drive on this machine?

6. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I would disagree with that. I have no speed complaints on my 20 or 22, and have heard people really liking the speed of the 24.

However, DirecTV has said that there have been a lot of speed complaints, and it is something they are working on, that we'll see this year.

7. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    DirecTV has been 'working' on their slow receivers since the day there were released. If they haven't fixed them by now they are not going to fix them.

The only choice for people that don't like the speed of their receivers is to go with HR24-XXX receivers. As has been repeated many many times to get HR24 you'll need to get them from a reseller or hope to be lucky and get one from DirecTV.

Even the HR24s (although they are at least usabled!) are not as fast as the Dish Network 622s I had going on 5 years ago...

8. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    What about Mike White's statement about the new Interface? "As fast as going through a spreadsheet" was about the phrase he used. And he said October, not some unknown future date, so it isn't like the new Tivo.

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    From what I hear, Mr. White's not just blowing smoke. But I haven't seen it for myself yet.

10. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I hope you guys are right.

I don't doubt the slow performance has been caused by the software.

Hopefully the new software will speed all the receivers up. I am hesitant because I have been told at least 100,000 over the last few years that the 'new' firmware was going to fix my HR22s... Since I had the HR22s installed there have been plenty of updates that made them slower - only to be corrected with the next version to put them back to square one. I finally fixed them myself by making the kids use them and adding 3 HR24-500s....

I played around with one of the HR22s last week just to see if the latest update had fixed them. Nope - same clunky scrolling and menu navigation as two and a half years ago when they were installed. The missed remote button problem may be better - It did seem to eventually play out all the button pushes. In the past 3 or 4 out of 10 times that I pushed 500 on the remote it couldn't do it.

Let’s hope the ‘new’ stuff in October finally puts choppy performance out of our misery!

11. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    Basically, for a "the only thing wrong with it is it's slow" receiver like an HR22, in order to guarantee yourself a new an faster unit, you need to spend your own money and go to a retailer/dealer where you can hand pick an HR24, pay the ~$200 fee yourself, and then send your otherwise healthy unit back to DirecTV on their dime. And, hope the new one works well and lasts you for a while so your $200 is not a lost gamble. (Because if it is a lemon, they still may send you and older refurb units as an exchange.) That's just the way it is with their equipment leasing model. If you want a guarantee of new equipment or new replacement equipment, then upfront the cost yourself.

Honestly, its not that different than an equipment ownership model. With that, you'd pay the subsidized ~$200 purchase price on the first go around, and if the equipment was later to be faulty (and out of warranty), you are on your own for a replacement (at a full not-subisidized price of like $500), unless you paid for an equipment protection plan, in which case they'd still probably send you a refurbed unit.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Or, if you want to guarantee you can get a new HR24 is replaced with the same if yours breaks, buy one outright and have the PP. Doesn't look like Matt has one to sell currently though :)

13. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    There's definitely something happening occasionally for few hours about once a week.

And when it does, it drives me nuts.

14. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    I have never purchased the Protection Plan. Are you saying that if you actually own a unit (not leased) you get like for like replacement with the PP? HR20 for HR20, HR24 for HR24....?

15. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Yes, it's supposed to work that way, I believe.

16. Drucifer

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well you should get anyone of them, because they are all suppose be similar, but somehow you usually get the same model. Which I think is a little ethically wrong - from a customer that seems to be stuck on 21. As four 21s have been replaced with 21s over the years.

17. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    Has 89% remaining recording time.

18. gator1234

gator1234 AllStar

Jul 21, 2007
    I did talk with Directv and after about an hour of testing they agreed to send me a replacement. I do have the protection plan and the tech did say that guarantees me "comparable replacement". So it sounds like I will get another HR22 but I guess I will have to wait and see what comes in this week.

19. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    I wondered about drive because as they get full many see slowdowns, hope newer (to you) works out ok.
    there is noticeable difference between my hr21's and my hr24 but none are as bad as you had described, but they were not full either so figured I would ask.

20. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Comparable just means it will be an HD DVR. Though if they send you an HR20 and you use it on a 3D TV, you'd have a good argument that it isn't comparable.