1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Will Dish Jump On The WeatherNation Bandwagon With Direct?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by SayWhat?, Dec 26, 2013.

1. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

The other channel doesn't seem to be getting the hint though, and may even be moving further away from weather:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-fi-ct-directv-weather-20131226,0,3840158.story

Will Dish follow suit?

Will Direct drop WN if they get a new contract with the other guys?

2. klang

klang Hall Of Fame

Oct 14, 2003
    Near...
    With all the online weather info available I don't see why we need any weather TV channels. :confused:

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    In this instance, it is DIRECTV that is following DISH's lead from their recent pre-negotiation ritual with TWC.

4. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    News junkies need their fix. Whether it is news, sports or weather, their lives would be intolerably boring without the constant bombardment of statistical minutiae.

5. tsmacro

tsmacro Hall Of Fame

Apr 28, 2005
    East...
    One could only hope, it would be nice to have a weather channel that I could turn to that I was confident in that when I did turn to it would actually be giving me info on the current weather and the forecast. I have mostly abandoned tv for my national weather info in favor of the internet thanks to the "Weather Channel" because I got tired of expecting to find weather info there and instead finding a show and not only a show but blocks of shows that go on for hours with very little actual weather info dispursed during breaks. Not only do I mostly use the internet for my national weather info these days but I've just about completely given up on the Weather Channel's website (which before at least they pushed from their channel to their website so they still had my eyeballs) because their site has gotten so busy with all sorts of not only ads but "video articles" and such that have nothing to do with weather. Sometimes it's hard to navigate to or find the weather info there that I'm looking for and also it seems their site is so junked up these days that it's prone to freezing and slow loading and no one has time for that!

6. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Many - well, some- folks with DIRECTV® do not have an internet connection. Others like to see both. I prefer the TV app over either WN or TWC, but will occasionally gander at them both.

7. jsk

jsk Icon

Dec 27, 2006
    The last time Dish pulled this several years ago with The Weather Cast (started by Dish and WeatherNation), weren't we promised a second channel from The Weather Channel that provided just weather? Is that still "coming soon?" I think Dish should have never dropped that channel and should pick up WeatherNation.

8. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The Weather Channel hinted that they were going to reinvent themselves as a slicker version of the old weather channel. They've hired more than a few big guns to make it happen.

9. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    And many of them must fall back on the SD version or terrestrial sources when their own weather is bad.

10. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I thought that was why Chuckie caved and let them back on. Word was that it was conditional on the addition of TWC2 or TWC Classic of sorts.

11. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I knew at the time it was a mistake to trust them. He should have held out until the channel was available.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Monday, May 24, 2010 6:08 am MDT ---

DISH Network and The Weather Channel Reach Agreement
    Includes Development of New Full-Time Weather Forecasting Services

DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform.

The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services. Deployment of the new services will begin this summer.

"Through this new partnership with The Weather Channel, DISH Network is giving our subscribers exactly what they've asked for and more. Not only are we developing a unique satellite service that provides localized weather 24/7, but also we'll soon deliver personalized weather reports via the Android mobile platform and the web," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "This agreement recognizes the importance of cross-platform video delivery, ensuring that our subscribers will have the most detailed local weather information available at their fingertips anytime, anywhere."

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even better service to their customers. We also look forward to working with DISH Network on other cross-platform and interactive initiatives, taking advantage of our leadership position in mobile and the Internet."

Additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

http://about.dish.com/press-release/programming/dish-network-and-weather-channel-reach-agreement

The Hopper App is decent ... but there is no channel 213 "localized weather".

13. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    This was 2010. Its now going to be 2014.

So I guess the question is , What is a Multi Year deal? 2-3-4-10?

14. damondlt

damondlt New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    Newfoundland...
    Where is this stuff at?

15. Paul Secic

Paul Secic Hall Of Fame

Dec 16, 2003
    We don't need any duplicates channels like: COOKING, NGC ETC.

16. SeaBeagle

SeaBeagle Legend

May 7, 2006

I just realized that story is like 3 years old. So the channel will never happen.
    Not every one has Internet access. Plus it is fun to look at live weather forcasting.

17. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    TWC appears to be crossing lines into irrational behavior.

1 person likes this.
  18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Aug 6, 2010
    I agree..... Nothing good about what they have become!!!!!

19. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Adios WC!