1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will DTV Make It So You Never Need A Phone Line

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by CraigerCSM, Dec 10, 2009.

1. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I know you need a phone line to order PPV and VOD and for Caller ID but will DTV upgrade their equipment so you don't need a phone line?

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    I can do all but caller ID over the network now.

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There is no way to get Caller ID without a phone line. That's not DIRECTV's issue. Everything else can go through the network or can be done from the PC.

4. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

What about making it so you don't need a phone line to order PPV? I forgot that with VOD you need a wifi router anyway. I wonder if they would make VOD so you don't need a wifi router or a phone line?

5. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
  6. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    PPV information is sent using your internet connection if you don't have a phone line connected.

So you want a DVR to connect directly to the internet how?

7. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

No I do want my DVR connected to the Internet because that would another box to my setup and I don't like having alot of boxes. You don't need the Internet to order PPV.

I was just wondering if they would ever have it so when they install boxes they don't have to install a phone jack and line and you could order PPV movies using the coax cable?

8. Justin23

Justin23 Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Craig....run an ethernet cable from your receiver to your router...no additional box needed...

9. paulh

paulh Godfather

Mar 17, 2003
    ...did they stop allowing you to order PPV via D*'s website from your home PC in another room? (I do not know) but I thought if you ordered PPV online, it would actually be available on all of your receivers, not just the one that ordered.

10. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

You can still order PPV and I guess VOD through Directv.com They also have that IPhone APP to do that. I think members aren't getting what I am saying. I was wondering if DTV would make their DVR's like how Cable has theirs where their boxes can order PPV and VOD over the cable wire and it doesn't need a phone to do it.

11. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The coax isn't a two way feed, so there isn't anything going out [can't order].

12. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    The phone issue will not go away until Directv grows a set and tells their HSP (Home Service Provider) system: (1)You must provide signed proof that your installers are paid for their work(2) Any deduction of pay for failure to connect a land line phone will be cause for termination of your HSP status.

Until then installers will continue to assert that systems will not work without a phone.

Joe

13. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

Oh so that is why you need a phone line because DTV's isn't a two-way feed like cable?

Will DTV ever make their Coax a two-way feed? Then they could do VOD without needing a router hooked up to the box.

14. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

They could make it so they could do that using just coax cable.

15. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The coax cable goes to the dish; the dish is receive-only, and that is absolutely not going to change, so the answer is "no." The only options for the receiver to talk back to DirecTV is either via phone line or via Ethernet/Internet, and that's not going to change anytime in the forseeable future.

16. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    They would need to add a transmitter to the dish, and that isn't likely to happen.
    Broadband internet access is where things are going.

17. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

I didn't know that the dish is receive only. Learn something new everyday.:)

DTV should really consider making their dishes send and receive. I wonder how much of a cost that add to the dish? That would open up so many possiblities for DTV with alot of services that they could add. Like faster Interactive Services and yes maybe even a web browser. Plus make the install eaiser.

18. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Not going to happen. If it does, you can kiss free goodbye. Also there's a whole slew of regulations on where it can be mounted and by who.

19. CraigerCSM

CraigerCSM Guest

You mean free dishes?

20. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    There is no way installation will be free for a two way dish. There are too many regulatory hurdles that need to be taken care of when installing a two way dish. Television satellie dishes will always be receive only. This isn't a matter of "give it a couple years". The best solution is to hook your box up to your internet connection.