1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Will FCC Comcast-NBCU Order fix RSN and other dispute arbitration

Discussion in 'Legislative and Regulatory Issues' started by phrelin, Jan 22, 2011.

1. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Historically Comcast has been intransigent about providing RSN's to both satellite providers and competing cable systems. On the surface, it appears that the FCC took steps to correct this problem. But Oregonian writer Mike Rogoway in an article updated on Wednesday was told "no change" by Comcast and DirecTV, though Charlie (Dish) is still looking:
    I'm hoping the litigious Charlie (and maybe someday DirecTV) will not agree with this interpretation relative to Comcast's RSN's. I think there is sufficient legal justification to throw out all previous arbitration rules and rulings and start over. Please note that I'm adding emphasis in the quotes from the FCC Order where I think it's important. Specifically, the FCC's Order includes:
    If Dish, for instance, would request arbitration under the new rules, Charlie could ask the arbitrator to take notice of the FCC's findings which include the following:

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is one of those things I'll believe when I see. Wake me when CSN Philly is on DISH or DirecTV.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Why do you expect DISH Network to take the first step on behalf of everyone else?

I would expect that to come from the provider that built their house on comprehensive sports offerings.

The conditions attached have been meaningless as they've obviously borne no fruit. I believe that the vested parties all suffer in arbitration but the viewers (and ultimately the Blazers and Ducks) may win.

4. logray

logray Godfather

Apr 8, 2005
    Well let's not vote for the viewers here, after all - who cares about what they want to watch ?!?!?! (obvious sarcasm ;))

Thanks for the thread, I was thinking about starting it up myself - and I wholeheartedly agree there needs to be movement in this area.

We sports fans want to watch our local teams.

Unfortunately the viewership seems to just move to whatever provider is not having contract disputes instead of storming the castle. :nono2: