1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Will Fox Shut Down Their OTA Network Over Hopper And Aereo?

Discussion in 'General Satellite Discussion' started by SayWhat?, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1 of 28
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Apparently, it's being discussed according to several news items.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/sns-rt-us-newscorp-foxbre9370vv-20130408,0,6194910.story

Other articles mention that another (as yet unnamed) major OTA network may be considering the same move.

2. Apr 8, 2013 #2 of 28
    lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    At this point I think they are chest beating, but at some point in time the broadcast mode may very well disappear. And for most people that would probably be OK, but there would be many in the more rural parts of the country that might not be so thrilled.

3. Apr 8, 2013 #3 of 28
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Something just crossed my mind. They mention 'subscription' without really saying shut OTA down. With the digital OTA broadcasts, could they be considering scrambling the broadcasts and selling/leasing/renting a form of set top box to decode the signals?

4. Apr 8, 2013 #4 of 28
    sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I don't think it'll happen for 1 big reason ... NFL games.

5. Apr 8, 2013 #5 of 28
    Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    If Fox Broadcasting were to do so, the government would immediately take ownership of the national radiospectrum which Fox currently exploits.

6. Apr 8, 2013 #6 of 28
    scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    The broadcasters are REQUIRED to leave at least one stream unencrypted (note the lack of HD/SD distinction). There is no reason they could leave a 2MBPS audio/video stream unencrypted then encrypt everything else that goes out the antenna.

7. Apr 8, 2013 #7 of 28
    Hoosier205

Hoosier205 New Member

Sep 3, 2007
    Exploits...haha

8. Apr 8, 2013 #8 of 28
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Leapin' Lizard Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah... so many people think digital = HD... but they could easily decide to encrypt the higher-quality HD signal OTA and then leave a low-bandwidth SD signal unencrypted.

They also could just encrypt primetime or certain programming in this manner.

Or they could just stop putting their good stuff on FOX and moving much of it to FX. That would be a good way to test the waters... leave the NFL OTA on FOX, but move primetime lineups to FX and ask for a rate increase on FX Network at the next negotiation.

9. Apr 8, 2013 #9 of 28
    SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    I think you dropped these n't. :D;)
    See, that's what I was thinking, encrypt Primetime and the sports programming. Leave a subchannel open with reruns.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Basically Fox would be shutting down their broadcast network and losing all of their affiliates. It would be a lot cheaper to transmit a single national feed or regional time zone feeds to cable and satellite than install and maintain any home subscription scrambling service.

11. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Those over the air stations become almost worthless - and all that borrowed money that paid for buying up all those stations comes due with an even more severely reduced revenue stream.

How many lawsuits of non-Fox-owned stations would be screaming "We borrowed money to buy a Fox station and now they're taking all the programming away - destroying the value of our station"

Remember - those retransmission fees from cable, DTV and E* are the fees that Fox (and other OTA networks) get for THE FREE SIGNAL THEY ARE TRANSMITTING OVER THE AIR.

12. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
  13. charlie460

charlie460 Godfather

Sep 12, 2009
    This will never happen. They'll lose their NFL contract and I would imagine be breaking a lo of contracts with local affiliates.

14. myselfalso

myselfalso Godfather

Jan 25, 2006
    I don't see why they would break a lot of contracts. I honestly can't see this happening for at least 10 years, so I would think they could negotiate contracts that would position themselves to make the move. I'm sure a lot of cash would be involved...but it's not like News Corp. doesn't have the money.

As for the NFL, the renewed deal starts in 2014 and ends in 2022. There's no reason why A) the NFL could want to take Sunday afternoon games to cable or B) FOX could be outbid. It also may not matter, depending on how the TV Everywhere concept goes. If I can watch NFL games via the Internet on my TV (or computer, phone, etc.), and FOX is still making money off the broadcast, why do they need it OTA? Presumably, most people would have the Internet, and most people would have smart TVs, as you'd think most people would have replaced their current TVs by 2022.

It's a lot of "what if's," and while I think it's unlikely to happen even in ten years time, I think it ultimately will.

15. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Would there be an element in the government tempted to decree a basic tier of service from cable or satellite providers to be FREE ??

16. anex80

anex80 Legend

Jul 29, 2005
    Midwest
    Am I missing something here? It looks like Aereo is only available in metro NYC area. Why would Fox be all up-in-arms over a startup in a small part of the country? Are there plans for Aereo to extend their reach?

17. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    The Aereo business plan (which is what is triggering the lawsuits) keeps prevailing in court cases.

That's the equivalent of a shot across the bow for Fox's business plan. Fox has a responsibility to their shareholders to protect them if the courts neuter their ability to make a profit.

18. Beerstalker

Beerstalker Hall Of Fame

Feb 9, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    Yes Aereo is planning on expanding into many other major cities.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/01/08/ae...g-its-streaming-tv-service-to-22-new-markets/

My guess is if they can keep winning these lawsuits they will eventually end up setting up service in every major US market, and maybe even start thinking about minor ones.

19. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Once the concept clears the court hurdles other companies will likely follow. There is a lot of trust in the company that they are following the rules. I believe Aereo uses IP address filitering as well as zip codes on payment cards to attempt to make sure that their customers are within their subscription area. But who is auditing them?

I suspect that Fox and the other broadcasters will set up illegal accounts just to prove it can be done. Personally I doubt the validity of their "one antenna serves one subscriber" claim. But if they prevail the decision may affect how channels are carried on DirecTV and DISH Network.

20. Gloria_Chavez

Gloria_Chavez Godfather

Aug 11, 2008
    And when Fox informs Aereo of an unlawful account, I'm certain that Aereo will disable said account, the same way that Youtube takes down copyrighted content when Fox informs Google of its existence.