1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will HDTV receiver work on regular TV ?

Discussion in 'HDTV Equipment (Closed Forum)' started by obrienaj, Jan 23, 2005.

1. obrienaj

obrienaj Godfather

Apr 7, 2004
    I toying with the idea of getting am inexpensive HDTV receiver/tuner to receive OTA digital TV signals. I do not intend to use an HDTV capable TV/monitor, I intend to use a regular analog TV. Do all the HDTV receivers have the ability to convert the digital signal to a regular TV signal ?

I'm interested in getting the DTV signals for potentially better reception of fringe stations and the extra "sub-band" programming that my local OTA networks provide. I'm not interested, at this point, in the extra definition pictures.

2. DVDDAD

DVDDAD Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Dec 21, 2002
    Most will hook up to standard TV's using either S-video or RCA jacks. If the receiver you are interested in has these (which most do), you'll be all set.

3. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm selling one on the BUY/SELL/TRADE page for $200, if you like. :)

4. Ladd

Ladd New Member

Jan 30, 2005
    I too am considering the purchase of an HDTV tuner (such as the LG LST4200A) for use with my SD Sony XBR2 (actual HDTV to come later). I know that I'll be able to receive over a dozen stations broadcasting in HD and was wondering if the receiver's down-sampled signal from those stations would look better on my set than the normal analog OTA signals.

5. bnewt

bnewt Godfather

Oct 2, 2003
    From my limited experience, the digital signal will be an increase from your analog. At least it is for me. I have the Motorola HDT-101, and am fairly satisfied with it. I have not found a way to have the stb turn itself on if I wanted to record a program at a specific time. But then again, it is my first venture into the ota digital world. I do enjoy the dolby sound track that comes with the digital signal.