1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I Find the Genie Client's Speed Acceptable?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bfkidd, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bfkidd

bfkidd Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    I will be upgrading a legacy HR21 and H20 to a Genie and Client. The intent is to wait until the HR44 is available.

The main reason for upgrading is the speed of the 21. The speed of the H20 is fine. Every once and a while it thinks about things for a second but for the most part it blows the HR21 away for speed. Channel changing is much faster.

Is the genie client faster or slower than an HR21?

Both boxes are used equally so deciding where the genie goes is like flipping a coin.

The idea of having the ability to schedule recordings from either location is the other appealing feature.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Non DVRs are faster than DVRs.
    The HR21/23 tend to be the slowest of all the DVRs.
    The RVU client isn't going to match the speed of a non DVR.
    Whether the client is faster than your HR21 sort of depends on how slow your HR21 is, as my client does take a couple seconds longer than my HR24 to change channels.

3. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If speed is a primary concern, I would recommend a receiver against a client. You can upgrade to an HR34 and an H25 for the same recurring cost, and the H25 will blow the C31 away with regards to speed.

If the client location isn't as important as the primary (Genie) location as far as speed is concerned, then perhaps a 34 and a client are a good solution for you.

4. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I would check one out first hand somewhere. Maybe there is a dealer or friend where you can actually see it in action?

I've seen one install and it is probably the slowest electronic device I've seen that is supposed to interact with the user. Completely unacceptable to me - but I admit I have very little tolerance for 'slow' equipment.

You really need to see it for yourself before you commit....

5. sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    If you can swing getting a free H25, then you'll be happier. Even at $99, it's worth it IMO.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Before I replied, I went to a client and checked a few things.
    First off was turning it on.
    My client took 11 sec to have video, and my HR24 takes 3 sec.

Pressing guide:
    2 sec for the client, 1 sec for the HR24.

Channel change from the guide: both are 5-6 sec.
    Channel change with the previous button: both 3 sec.

pressing menu: client 3 sec, HR24 2 sec.

Once the client is powered up, it doesn't look to be much difference than my HR24, but the H25 will be faster than both.

7. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    H25 speed is much better than a Genie Client.

8. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    I didn't do specific timings but I wonder if the difference is the HR34 vs HR44?

Where I noticed the 'delay' was just scrolling through the guide and the playlist and especially when selecting something to 'play' from the HR34...

Twice while trying to go down the recording list using the single 'down' it started scrolling through a page or two after 2 or 3 'down' button pushes...

I'm not saying bfkidd can't be happy with it but if he is already have speed 'issues' with his HR21 I don't think he's going to like the speed of the client. From what I saw the client was considerably less responsive than what even my old HR22s used to be.

I think seeing it first hand before going all in is a good idea - especially for someone not happy with the HR21.

9. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Seeing how a client works "first hand" is [or should be] a must.
    I don't see a significant difference from the client with a 34 or 44.
    The nature of RVU does mean there is a longer "pipe" between the user/remote and the final results.
    Your guide/playlist response is something I've had a lot. You try to move one "step" and end up with two or more. Then you try going back to what you wanted, and it overshoots again.
    I wouldn't [don't] use a client in my main viewing room, but in my bedroom and places like this, where my use isn't the same, the client gives features a stand alone receiver doesn't and it pulls up a channel or recording to watch well and if I want to pause or replay I can.
    If you're a heavy "power user", you want to be using a DVR directly and not through a client.

10. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Thanks VOS - very good information. I wonder if the same problems exist when using a RVU 'complaint' TV rather the a C31/41? Do you have or have you seen one of the RVU TVs with the HR34/44?

11. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I have a Samsung RVU TV and from my experience if you're looking for speed/responsiveness of the UI stay away from it, the client is much better.

12. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Icon

Mar 7, 2007
    I can't imagine anything being worse than the client box. I can't change channels with direct input because it is impossibly slow to respond. Can't fast forward through commercials because it stops responding and I overshoot the break. Can't access the menus after a while because it inevitably treats one button press as ten.

To say it is frustrating would be a huge understatement. If I needed it for daily use I would definitely want to swap it for anything else.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Seems to come down to how or what you use.
    I don't FF through commercials, so the 30skip is very close to how the DVRs work.
    I rarely "direct input" channels.
    In my bedroom it comes up to the last channel it was tuned to which normally is what I want. As with my DVRs, I use the guide to find what channel I want to change to.

[again] a client isn't going to be the best choice for everyone and every location, but they do seem to have a niche for some and some places.

14. bfkidd

bfkidd Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

What is the difference between the H25 interface and client as far as recording goes?

I know for pause you have to start a recording and would be ok with that as now I have no pause on the 20.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    By "interface" I'm guessing you mean the GUI, which is the same for all these days.

For recording with the H25, you find what you want in the guide, press record and you can select which DVR you want to record.
    With a client it simply records on the Genie just like you were at the Genie.
    What a client does that the H25 can't is it also gives you full access to the Genie, so you can add/change upcoming recordings, add/remove series links, download on demand, etc. "Basically" just like you were using the Genie instead of the client. The H25 doesn't, but maybe this isn't what you're interested in.

16. bfkidd

bfkidd Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Those client features would be great but not at the cost of speed and ff issues.

We watch and record a lot of sports. We ff through commercials constantly. If the client can't do this reliably then it will not be useable.

Let's say I upgrade the 20 to an H25 and put the client in the bedroom where it would be used lightly.

If it does't work can it be sent back or is there a penalty if you only keep it for a few months? I would still have the genie and a receiver at that point.

Reason I am asking is because I am getting the client for free.

17. LawHawk

LawHawk Cool Member

Mar 8, 2013
    I have an HR44. Before that, I had HR34, HR24, and HR23. I found 34, 24, and 23 all very slow - unacceptably slow. The 44 is much, much faster. It's been a long time since I had a non-DVR receiver so I can't make much of a comparison, but using the DVRs, I found almost no difference between changes from 23-->24-->34, and then an enormous difference with the switch to 44.

18. akw4572

akw4572 Legend

Sep 7, 2005
    Is the speed of the client with the 44 acceptable?

19. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I think it is but I'm sure others will disagree. Yes with a HR34 as the HMC the clients are slower, but with the HR44 I think it's very acceptable.

20. bfkidd

bfkidd Cool Member

Dec 4, 2005
    Update to this... Had the install and am finding the C41 to be very fast indeed, in fact it is faster than either of the legacy boxes.

I am keeping the old DVR while shaking down the client. I will put the client in a well used room to give it a good shakedown, but from the first impression it seems to much better than expected.

And I see what everyone says, you have to let it settle in (and possibly update). At first trick play did not work at all, but after a few hours it was fine.