1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will I have problems activating Genie not purchased from Directv?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by GreenScrew, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mar 2, 2013 #1 of 12
    GreenScrew

GreenScrew Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    I want to get a Genie and 3 clients to replace 2 H24's that I have currently and got totally frustrated by Directv being unwilling to accommodate me for anything under $500. Not on contract but only move to Direct from Dish 4 years ago. Anyway, I noticed this exact bundle (Genie + 3 clients) available at Amazon for $349 +shipping and just pulled the trigger on that. Still more than I wanted to pay, but better that the "best" Direct could do. My question is whether I'll have any hassles working with Direct to get the Genie and clients activated (do clients need activation) in place of the 2 H24s?

Here is link to the bundle, indicates 2-year extension may be required:
    http://www.amazon.com/DIRECTV-GENIE.../B00B90P8QQ/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1362269800

I think I have sorted out installing myself as it seems pretty straight forward. Currently I have SWM 16, 3 HR24s, and the 2 H24s. So everything should be plug/play, the HR33 and clients just need a single line directly to one of the two 8 port splitters right? So the HR33 goes where one of the H24s was, one client where the other was, and I have already run new cable to the 2 locations that I'll put the remaining clients. Is there any concern for which of the two splitters the clients/HR33/HR24s are connected to?

2. Mar 2, 2013 #2 of 12
    Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    it will certainly require an additional commitment. Did you check and make sure that equipment was not connected to an account that is not in good standing?

3. Mar 2, 2013 #3 of 12
    Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    A review on this seller: "WARNING!!! Was just contacted by Direct TV fraud department, this seller is selling stolen merchandise, they are NOT an authorized reseller. Direct TV shut off my service and is making me return the items to them. "

Yikes!

This makes me quite paranoid about my $160 HR34 I have activated (I did not buy it from this seller, and I did verify the RID first).
    I had to speak to the Access Card team to get mine activated, and she did research it quite a bit so...hopefully I'll be ok!

But yeah I would cancel your order from this guy.

4. Mar 2, 2013 #4 of 12
    GreenScrew

GreenScrew Mentor

Nov 2, 2005
    The equipment is new/unused. And I'm fine with requiring a 2 year commitment. So is that the worst of my concern? I was worried that Direct might say it requires install, or some other issue for not going directly through them to acquire the equipment.

5. Mar 2, 2013 #5 of 12
    Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The worst case scenario is you activate it fine, and a month later DirecTV disables your account because it turns out your equipment has been stolen [by the seller, not by you].

It's coming from Amazon so you do have a guarantee, so there's that.

6. Mar 2, 2013 #6 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    No, the worst of your concerns is the post above yours.

If it's a legit receiver, you can hook it up yourself and call them to activate.

7. Mar 3, 2013 #7 of 12
    Lugnut

Lugnut AllStar

Feb 11, 2013
    Eagle, Idaho
    I would honestly keep the two H24s instead of the clients. You may have your reasons for not doing that, but seems to me that a dedicated tuner is better than one borrowed from the HR-34 :)

8. Mar 3, 2013 #8 of 12
    fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    According to the link which the OP provided , there are no reviews :confused:

However when it comes to reviews & Amazon, I tend to take the severely negative reviews with a grain of salt. More times than not negative reviews are posted by someone who did not read the description correctly or should not be allowed to operate any type of electronic goods without medical supervision.

9. Mar 3, 2013 #9 of 12
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Not any more because there's none available (from that seller), but there was.

10. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The review wasn't for the HR-34. The review was for the seller of the HR-34. As spartanstew pointed out, since that seller doesn't have any more HR-34's for sale, the link to that seller (and their reviews) is no longer on that page.

11. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    As I said before, I don't put a lot of faith in reviews of sellers or products. There are a number of times when reviews are posted by someone in the heat of the moment and without any thought.

12. wingrider01

wingrider01 Hall Of Fame

Sep 9, 2005
    more of a moot point now, clicked on the link to look at it, now states

Currently unavailable.
    We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.