1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Model 4000 still get distants with the yellow card

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by Tommy, May 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy New Member

May 3, 2005
    Hello folks,
    I started with Dish and model 501 and Americas Top 150 package. Later, I received an old model 4000 from a buddy who upgraded, and had no use for the 4000. It came with a smartcard that has NY, CA, and MA local stations, and lots of premium channels.

When I got the model 4000, I called up Dish to have them transfer my account from my 501 receiver with Americas top 150 package to this old 4000 model that gets the locals and premiums.

All fine and good and paid for - so far. Now then - the new yellow card upgrade – will I loose those distant local stations when I insert the yellow card?

BTW – I searched for an existing thread on this topic, and found none. Thanks for your reply!

Tommy

2. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Probably not, Tommy, but I'm certainly not certain enough to say absolutely.

BTW, welcome to DBSTalk! :hi:

3. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    If you are paying for those channels as part of your subscription then yes you will continue to get them after you swap cards. After you swap cards you will get only the channels you are paying for. So you will lose (not loose) all those extra channels.

4. Tommy

Tommy New Member

May 3, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. So - the local distants are not part of the America's Top 150, but they are enabled from the previous owner of the blue smart card. And I won't be able to contnue receiveing them after the yellow card swap, right?

Well - is there any newer Dish programming package I can buy that will still allow the local distants?

5. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    No - you either qualify for them based on your service address or you don't.

6. chewey

chewey Legend

Jul 28, 2004
    What is the deal with the yellow and blue cards? If I have a receiver that still has a yellow card in it will it suddenly stop working one of these days. I think one of my 508s is still yellow and I haven't gotten a new card. Also I have an old 3900 that I was going to add on for the kids room one day. If I tried to activate that would I be able to or are the old receivers junk now?

7. scooper

scooper Hall Of Fame

Apr 22, 2002
    Youngsville NC
    The yellow cards are the new ones. So, it's your receivers with the blue cards that will be getting new cards in the mail.

AFAIK, there's only 1 or 2 models of Dish receivers that WON'T support the yellow card - Model 2000s and maybe something else. If you activate that 3900 in the kids room, eventually you will get a yellow card for it.

8. Darkman

Darkman Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 16, 2002
    It's now called America's Top 180 i believe ;)

9. Satpro92

Satpro92 Legend

Jan 30, 2005
    We have customers that lost packages such as the old Starz pac that included the Encore channels when the yellow card was activated.I had a 3700 activated with top 120 HBO and Max a couple of years ago,disconected it(not deactivated it),hooked it back up and still got HBO and Max without subscribing to them.That is until the card swap. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.