1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Will my DTV box work @ my Dad's house if we both have DTV??

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by cmfdavis, Sep 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cmfdavis

cmfdavis New Member

Sep 28, 2013
    USA
    I have a HD/DVR box w/ Sunday Ticket and my Dad has a regular HD box w/ no DVR and no Sunday Ticket, I want to take my box to his house and surprise him for his birthday tmrw and watch the Bengals game. Will my box work @ his house?? I apologize if this is a stupid question but I've never done anything like this before... Thanks!

2. Drucifer

Drucifer New Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Depends.

But it is a violations of your TOS. So expect this thread to get locked.

3. cmfdavis

cmfdavis New Member

Sep 28, 2013
    USA
    Oh ok. That's why I was asking if it was something that was ok to do. I guess we're gonna have to go to the bar to watch the game. Thank you!

4. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    I don't think it would work anyway, due to the access card. I think if you plugged in a different box at your dad's, it would ask for the box to be authorized, which you would not be able to do.

5. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Call DirecTV and see what it would cost to upgrade him to an HD DVR. You might be able to get him a DVR (even a Genie) upgrade for free, including NFL ST. There will be a $10 DVR fee per month, but you might be able to negotiate credits covering even that (auto-pay, paperless billing?).

Got any brothers and sisters to help pay?

You'll need his phone number and last 4 of his SSN.

1 person likes this.
  6. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The TS is wanting to take the whole HR2x, not just the access card.

If you read the agreements closely, a lot of the language related to hauling equipment around has been toned down or removed outside of the "for commercial purposes" language that is still prominent.

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Its like tailgating really;

Technically yes, both are against your TOS;

But DIRECTV frequently turns a blind eye to it if its just for a day or something at a private home residence and not a commercial business which would amount to a public showing.

What they really strict on is if you leave it there or permanently as though loaning it out to your Dad.

8. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
  9. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    IMO, taking for a day, "might" be OK. leaving there permanently... no no :nono2:

10. Supramom2000

Supramom2000 In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

Jun 20, 2007
    Colbert, WA
    Since my info was wrong, I agree with Peds. As a birthday present, a one time thing, it works.

11. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    any possibilities there could be an equipment mis-match and it wouldn't work?

12. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    What dish do you have at your place and which one is a at you father's?

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    You might have to go through satellite setup and make changes on your box to match his dish/LNB (and if so, do that again when you go back home). You might also need what is called a b-band converter (or might have to remove one). So yes, your box should work assuming you set it up properly. It might be easier to bring your dad to your house (and include a nice birthday dinner).

14. supermod38

supermod38 Mentor

Jan 16, 2013
    Central VA.
    if he takes his receiver to his dad"s when he plugs it in (if they have the same set-up) he will get his dad's programing not his!!!!!!!!!!

ooops forget what i just said.................

15. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Yeah, it won't be his Dad's programming, and I guess we're all assuming Dad lives pretty close by and is in the same DMA, or at least under the same spot beam.

16. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    any possibilities there could be an equipment mis-match and it wouldn't work?
    Well, the TS has an HDDVR and all HDDVRs works in all systems

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

17. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    So a genie will work at all locations?

18. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    No, they must be on a swm setup.

19. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    As long as both locations are on the same scheme, SWM, or non-SWM, its simply hook it up and power it on....if they are different then its a completely re-run initial setup....and the programming packages stays with the receiver/card combo, not the dish its attached to...

20. DB Stalker

DB Stalker New Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Tooele, UT
    Line the others said, it shouldn't be an issue under these circumstances
    Depending on your setups, you might need to redo your sat setup though. Make sure you get there with enough tome to get it all up and running.

#)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.