1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will my old 5lnb dish mount work with the Slimline?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by curlyjive, Jan 3, 2009.

1. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    I have the original 5lnb dish with the sidecar

I have been having an issue where my HD channels with break up, sometimes multiple times in an hour. When this happens, all 103c transponders go to 0 on both tuners. Directv thinks it may be the dish (I agree) so they are going to replace it next Sat. I am sure it will be a slimline dish.

So the question is, can they use the existing roof mount from the old dish with the new slimline? I REALLY don't want new holes in my roof!

2. davring

davring Hall Of Fame

Jan 13, 2007
    The Slimline will fit on the existing mast.

3. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    That's great news. Are installers typically willing to reuse the old mount? I know installers vary ALOT in quality (I've experienced some pretty bad ones, and one good one), but in general if I ask them to use the existing mount will they be ok with.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    The mount is identical, so, yes, they'll reuse it. At most, if it isn't plumb or it doesn't have 2 support poles 90 degrees apart, they'll fix those issues.

5. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Make sure the mount uis up to spec and MAKE them fix it if it's not.

6. curlyjive

curlyjive AllStar

Jun 13, 2007
    I believe I am good there. The support poles look good and alignment yields mid to high 90's on sats other than the 103c am having issues with. Even the 103c shows in the 80's when it works and the dish was installed before that sat was in place (basically goes from 80's to 0 when it breaks up). I am hoping it IS indeed a bad lnb.

IF not, I'll have to have them replace my HR20 and buy the ATSC tuner add on. Even though most locals are available, I like having the backup in case of bad weather. Plus OTA is still slightly better PQ......better VERY close at this point. Bad thing is it might take a week or so to see if the problem still exists. Sometimes it happens constantly....other times it can be fine for days at a time. My guess is moisture in the LNB.

I signed up for the protection plan, so the dish will be covered and the box if needed. CS has been surprisingly helpful and easy to work with...the installers may be a different story!