1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

will not power up

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by holmdoggie, May 28, 2013.

Tags:
  1. holmdoggie

holmdoggie New Member

May 28, 2013
    michigan
    Hi...

I have an H-23-700 DVR unit and last night it just quit. I called Directv and they are replacing it but I want to try to get my unit working again. It acts like it has a blown fuse. It just stopped working and will not power up at all. No lights... just dead in the box. I pulled the case off and near the power supply it says "replace fuse as marked" but I do not see or understand how to rplace teh fuse. It appears that the fuse circuit is soldered in or it is hidden somewhere so its not easy to do.

Can someone please advise this wheelchair user on what I might try to do. THANK YOU!

2. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    Can you post photo?

3. peds48

peds48 Genius. DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    is the HR23 leased or owned? if it leased, you need to send it back to DirecTV

4. holmdoggie

holmdoggie New Member

May 28, 2013
    michigan
    PCampbell,

here you go... let me know if this answers your question...

Thanks

Holmdoggie

Attached Files:

5. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Mine did the same thing last week. No smell, nothing. Worked when I went to bed and dead when I got up the next day.
    They replaced it for me. Luckily I got an HR24.

6. holmdoggie

holmdoggie New Member

May 28, 2013
    michigan
    I have a new one on the way too... I just wanted to try and save all the info on this one

7. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    There isn't a fuse that you can replace. I know because I had the same problem with my owned HR23 but in my case I could see the fried resistor and scorch marks on the circuit board.

I can tell you that there are no serviceable parts on that power supply. Even if there was a fuse to replace that won't fix whatever caused the problem in the first place

I do have to say that if that's a leased DVR it's a bad idea to open it. Whether owned or leased, your only solution is to get the replacement.

Mike

8. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    In the old days of TV repair low cost sets user a resistor as a fuse. If it is not a lease I would remove the board and look for a bad solder joint at the resistor and the diodes. It is easyer to let Directv send a new DVR.

9. holmdoggie

holmdoggie New Member

May 28, 2013
    michigan
    OK... thanks... I didn't think I could fix it... I wonder if I can save the shows on the hard drive if I remove it and hook it up to another unit or a PC? I owned the DVR and they don't want it back... so that's not an issue. they told me to pitch it if I wanted.

10. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Your recordings will only work on that DVR - sorry.

As for a fix - if you are a tinkering kind of guy, and seems that you are, you could buy another 23-700 off of ebay for parts and then just swap power supplies.... Assuming you can find one on ebay that has a working power supply.

If you know anyone that is an electronics 'geek' your power supply could be repaired - and usually inexpensively - by the right kind of electronics tinkering kind of person...

11. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    The recordings are keyed to that receiver ID so you can't watch them on any other DVR.

Mike

12. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I'm not sure that's such a good idea. There's no way of knowing what caused the problem. It may not even be the power supply. All the HR23s I've seen with bad power supplies had smoked components and scorched boards.

Mike

13. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Only a good idea for the tweakers!

14. georgewells

georgewells AllStar

Feb 23, 2006
    Hayden,Idaho
    I had the same problem -- seems like there are a lot of HR23-700 having that problem lately. I lucked out too they sent me a HR24 to replace it.
    George

15. Jacob Braun

Jacob Braun King of Awesome

Oct 5, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    What's one of the top Google Suggestions when you start to type in HR23? :-/

16. Dago Red

Dago Red New Member

May 31, 2013
    New Jersey
    Same thing happened to one of my HR23-700's yesterday. Watched all night, woke up yesterday morning, and nothing. I lost complete seasons of shows that I was saving until my Son got home from school. DirecTV sent me another HR23-700 that was even older than the one I had. Based on the number of failures I'm seeing reported lately, these things may only have about a 4 year life span.

I did check out the PSU, and the high voltage seems to be working fine, so the fuse is good (red cylinder in picture). I measured 160V into the multitap, but nothing on the low voltage side. I replaced a couple of iffy capacitors, but that didn't help. One strange thing I noticed that may or may not be a problem is that the 12V pin on the motherboard is shunted to ground. I'm not sure if this caused the PSU problem, or not. It would be nice to know if this was the same in a working unit, but I'm not going to open up a good box just to test it.

I would have felt better if they had sent me an HR24 instead.