1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will Satellite ever get Picture in Picture?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by abooch, Feb 15, 2009.

1. abooch

abooch Legend

Oct 25, 2008
    To me picture in picture is very valuable. I know cable companies like cablevision have boxes with PIP capabilities.. Is this only a cable capable thing? I love my sports and I love my hockey...heck the sports packages on cable like NHL CI even have a "gamemix" type channel on InDemand. Why doesn't Direct have that? Direct seems to be removing their gamemix channel from MLB EI so the only package that will have a gamemix channel would be the football..What gives? "'PIP" for sports is so key..is my only option now to buy another tv and box for my room? haha

2. n3ntj

n3ntj Hall Of Fame

Dec 18, 2006
    Lancaster,...
    I seem to recall that one of the E* HD DVR's have PIP. I believe the reason the HR-2x series doesn't do PIP is that the unit can only decode one video signal at a time, although it can record 2 at a time. With PIP, it would have to decode 2 video signals at once.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    It could be done (and I think Dish does PIP with some models), but it requires additional circuitry in the receiver so cost would be an issue. If you have a TV with a secondary PIP input, you could use a second receiver.

4. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    Dish's 622 and 722 both have PIP. Also have side by side. Very nice feature so it can be done.

5. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    !Devil_lol

6. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    "Ever" is a really long time. It's been a long-requested enhancement, so maybe we'll see it someday.

7. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Right, but they also have two seperate video decoder/output processors, which they need to be able to run 2 TVs independently. This is what allows PiP.

Note that the Dish 612 can't do PiP for the same reason the HR's can't; they only have a single video output processor.

8. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    PIP was this feature that everyone thought they needed and few ever used. As you probably noticed in the beginning days of it on TVs it was a huge selling point, then slowly faded away into forgotten land as people stopped demanding it and finally realized for the most part never used it.

Yes, some still use it and enjoy it, but for the most part people wanted it, but never really used it.

9. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    If it is very important to you, and DirecTV is your preferred provider, then a second receiver for $4.99 a month will give you PIP with complete flexibility as to what the alternate channel has. Personally, PIP is a feature my TV has, that I really never actually use (and I can feed the second input if I want to).

10. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006
    The old UltimateTV boxes for DirecTV did PIP.

11. leww37334

leww37334 Hall Of Fame

Sep 19, 2005
    Most tv's have PIP now:

Solution 1: Put up an antenna, use it to PIP in your locals using TV PIP.

Solution 2: Hook up a second receiver to HDMI2 ( or component). PIP in the second receiver, using TV PIP.

sorry carl6, didn't read your post.

12. mcbeevee

mcbeevee 97% Complete

Sep 18, 2006
    I don't see anything wrong with this option! :D

Attached Files:

13. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    !Devil_lol
    Wow I learn a lot in D* forums.:rolleyes:

14. Tom B

Tom B Cool Member

Nov 27, 2005
    I had PIP with Ultimate TV and kinda liked it. I used it a lot with sports programming.

15. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Actually most TVs now (the ones I've looked at) don't have PIP anymore, unless its one of the more expensive ones. And some of the ones that do can't do 2 HD pictures at a time.

I agree though, we should have had PIP with the HRs, it is nice for sports. I've read on here though that the Broadcom chips can do PIP and that it was coming.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Not to be a naysayer....but on this topic...

Picture in Picture has never "made it" in the TV manufacturer industry.

While the Channel mix concept has met with some success....overall....it is the exception and not the rule.

Despite having one 116" screen, one 55" screen" and several others slightly smaller...the average HDTV displays out there today are in the 46-50" range. For me personally, PIP would work just fine...but I am an exception compared with mainsteam viewers, in terms of screen size availability.

Unfortunately, display size is critical...therefore...in today's world, I don't believe the current display averages are very condusive to promoting subscreens (PIP).

17. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    My Sony Bravia will display P and P (picture beside picture) and I've got an antenna input. I used the setup twice during the college football season and that's about it. I really prefer the full screen HD picture of one game.

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    What did an UltimateTV box cost when new? Do you think most folks would be willing to pay that for an HD-DVR today? How about for their 4th HD-DVR? That's what DirecTV has to look at.

PiP would be relatively expensive to implement, and would hardly be used. Sure, the .5% of people who use it regularly REALLY like it, but most folks NEVER use it.

19. ImBack234

ImBack234 Godfather

Aug 26, 2008
    How about using it to send to a second tv, Like E* does....:eek2:

20. fornold

fornold Legend

Sep 4, 2006

I'm not sure, I think it was $299. It was a long time ago. I used it a few times when I had Sunday Ticket, but I don't really miss it. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it.