1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will switching a AT9-5lnb to a Slimline3 in setup always cause a diagnostic error 42?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by volkl, Aug 18, 2010.

1. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    HR20-100

If one disconnects the 119 & 110 wires from an AT9 lnb, and runs a setup of a Slimline3, will the receiver fail a system test with a diagnostic code 42-951 due to a difference in the way the lnb's work? I think this should work.

Directv service man peaked my dish and got great signal levels. However, during setup there was a failure on the 101 (a red box with an X). Tech said not to worry --- that is a signal overload issue.

When I return from work I run a system test and get a diagnostic error 42-951 -- Alignment or Distribution problem, call Directv. Called the tech and asked him if he wanted to fix this before I notified Directv. He said that he told me that I have a wiring issue and that the existing wires do not meet current install standards. I told him, no, you did not tell me that. Why didn't you fix it? He said because all that work would be wasted when I have my roof redone and go MRV. BTW all wires are 3 years old and professionally installed. Why should they be shoddy after 3 years?

During his work I asked where should I have the dish placed using a commdeck, and he showed me.

Why this guy assumed that I did not want my signal issue completely fixed at this time, I don't know. Perhaps I am somewhat at fault because I did say that I may replace my roof and go MRV next month.

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Some of this simply doesn't make sense.

You can't change the AT-9 to anything other than the 5 LNB type dish.
    The SL5 [AU-9] and the SL3 LNBs are hardwired differently and you can't turn off the 110/119 from the 5 LNB. If you try "to fake" the setup in the receiver, you'll still have guide updating issues, since the LNB will still want/need to get the data from 119.

error 42 is guide data BTW

3. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Thanks VOS,

This is what I needed to know. The tech called me to replace the whole dish. He was not happy that I responded to Directv's automatic call that the system was not fixed. I told him I wanted someone else because I didn't like him saying he told me I had shoddy wires when I don't, and if so, he should have fixed them. He said that my wiring really isn't shoddy, that the error during setup on 101 is due to a voltage overload on the 13v from the receiver, and that this is also associated with the diagnostic error 42 during a system test.

You statement confirms that the error messages are probably due to the tech disconnecting the wires from 110 & 119 on the lnb, and running a slimline3 in setup. Perhaps I should simply have someone reconnect what he disconnected.

4. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    They are not allowed to use an AT-9 system anymore, since there are no replacement parts. Let them install a new Slimline. It can use your existing cabling, if its up to spec...which I believe is solid copper. Your cable might be AOK, but if its copper clad steel, its out of spec. I used one run of RG-59 (a definite out of spec cable) and it worked just fine. They just have their rules, and their installers have to follow them.

Your installer was just totally misinformed, or may not have been aware the AT9 uses a different stack plan than the AU9 with SL3

5. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Thanks for the explanation Davenir.

I think I will go up there and see if I can hook it back up. If not, then I will let them put up a new dish.

So installers are not allowed to peak a AT9 without doing this strange fix that just creates problems as a matter of policy. I would have been happier if they had just peaked it.

6. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Sounds like pure BS to me. Under voltage might happen, but over voltage. :nono:

7. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    The "normal plan" is simply to replace the AT-9 and there is no "strange fix" like what he did. This simply shows what little he knows about his job.

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The only way an AT-9 can work without the 110/119 LNBs is if you have a SWM system which always gets the guide data from 101.

9. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    No such thing as a "signal overload issue." That's made-up BS.

Official DirecTV policy is to replace AT9 dishes whenever encountered, meaning, if a tech shows up to any house with an AT9 dish, it is to be replaced with a Slimline dish, along with whatever else was supposed to happen.

The reason(s) for this are because the cables between the LNBs are a common failure point and because all of the parts, including the LNBs, are proprietary to each of 4 different manufacturers, and no spare parts for any of them have been available for nearly 4 years. Slimline LNBs cannot be used on an AT9 dish either.

And setting the receiver to SL3, with or without the 110/119 LNBs plugged in, will NOT solve the guide update issues. Only a different LNB (and dish) can do that.

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Gee, you sound like you do this for a living... oh yeah, you do. :lol:

11. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Very interesting. Quite complex. I sort of feel sorry for the tech.

My system was setup in late July 2007. Since then, we got the slimline, then the SWM, and now the DECA module. Lot of changes in technology rapidly.

Not complaining at all, just getting more complex.

I'm kinda proud to have suspected this was the cause of the problem.

Thanks to all for you helpful information.

12. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    If they would make it mandatory for their techs to read this site an hour a day, they would have the smartest techs in the business. I dont even work for DirecTv and installed all of the above myself with no issues at all. No reason the installers couldnt to the same.

13. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    :confused:
    Back in '06 I got my AT-9, but you say you got the slimline [AU-9] and SWM & DECA, so where is this AT-9? :confused:

14. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007

My apologies, I meant 'We' meaning all of us Directv subscribers over this period of time. I do not personally have Slimline, SWM, or DECA yet.

Now that you make me think, I actually got the H20 in 2006 along with the AT9, and upgraded to the HR20 in July of 2007.

Sorry for the confusing syntax.

15. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So you had a mouse in your Pocket [we]. :lol:

The tech should have swapped that out first thing.

16. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Most techs when encountering an AT9 don't even know how to align it these days because the procedure was different and most installers haven't been around that long. Until DirecTV pays more techs are not going to be replacing dishes unless they ABSOLUTELY have to. If I rolled to a service call, which I don't do anymore, and there was an AT9 in good shape with satisfactory LOS to 110 and 119 I would simple dither and move on. I would not take the time to replace the dish. It wouldn't be worth it for me to.

17. steve13

steve13 Legend

Sep 5, 2006
    I was having intermittent signal problems this past week, and when the installer came out on Friday, he did a double take when he saw my AT9 dish. He said "What kind of dish is that?" When I then showed him my SWM and splitter, he told me there is no way this would have ever worked. I explained to him what everything was and how it worked, and he said something like wow, you're teaching me things here.

He replaced my AT9 with a Slimeline 3 with built in SWM, and I was back in business in no time.

18. volkl

volkl Legend

Jun 17, 2007
    Update:

The procedure the Protection Plan (PP) department follows when there has been a failed service request (fsr), is for the PP representative to send an email to a supervisor of the Home Service Provider (in my area Directv doesn't use contractors). In the email the supervisor is asked to contact the customer and at what phone number.

I called several times to the PP department, and no one would call me so that I could request that they come back and install a replacement dish. Interestingly, I did receive a call from the initial tech and he stated that he saw that I had said that the service call was unsuccessful. More interesting, was that the PP departments reps told me that the surpervisors were emailing back that they have been trying to call the customer, but the customer doesn't answer.

I felt stuck.

Wrote an email to the Office of the President, received a phone call from a nice person the following day who agreed to have scheduled a free dish installation by a senior technician.

Just today, my receiver is complaining that it hasn't been able to access guide information for 7 hours...4 hours, etc. error 920, call directv.

All's well that ends well. I will be receiving a SL3 and lose the one or two SonicTap channels that come from 119 (no big deal). What's most disturbing is that the tech said to ignore the initial errors, and then blamed the errors on wiring that was professionally installed, and lastly, that directv's own employee's (HSP supervisors) can effectively ignore and lie about responding to a customer's failed service request with perhaps impunity. I suggested to the PP dept to host a 3-way telephone call, but the Office of the President came through. I'm certain that all I really had to do was call retention and have them give me a free dish upgrade rather than pursue the failed service request approach. The supervisor's failure to respond, or choice to have the tech call instead of themselves, means that they will repeat this error.

19. Polecat

Polecat New Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Do you mean an SL3-SWM or would it need to be the SWM-8 multi-switch?

My SL5 lost 99 and 101 yesterday. It started having problems Monday with some channels pixing, including my locals (72.5). It seemed mostly like 101 was the source, it's signal was up and down while everything else was 90+. I checked all the usual suspects. First, I jacked around with the 72.5 for over an hour and in the process, uncovered that it no longer needs the 72.5, since my locals went HD their coming from somewhere else, apparently 99 or 101. Then yesterday 99 and 101 went to 0. It's lost over half of the channels plus the HD locals.
    I have spent the last two days reading everything here, pondering the options. Since the 72.5 is no longer needed I can lose the 6x8, and if going SWM can eliminate the need for the 119 guide access, then while I'm at it anyway I'd like to just go with the SL3-S and I might experiment with a bigger reflector.

20. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Either a SWM5 (rare) or SWM8 will work that way. The 110/119 on my AT-9 failed several months ago (I suspect the coax connection) but I have a SWM5 and all works fine with the receiver set to SL3 with SWM.

It should be possible to use a SL3SWM LNB on an AT-9, but the mounting would be somewhat of a kludge (Red Green could pull it off).