1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will tech upgrade me from HD to HD Dvr if I am eligible

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by StephenJC, Jul 4, 2012.

1. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    My H23 got fried yesterday. All I get is searching for signal. I have tried different outlets in my home with the same searching for signal. All other receivers are fine. PP is insisting on sending a tech instead of just shipping me a box. I mentioned that I have an offer on DirecTv.com for a free HD Dvr upgrade. PP wanted $50 to replace H23 with an HD DVR. If I go thru the process ob DirecTv.con I only get charged $20. When the Tech comes tomorrow will he be able to replace H23 with HD Dvr since I am eligible, or do I have to go thru DirecTv to upgrade?

2. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you upgrade to a DVR from the a receiver, that will extend your commitment by 2 years. Replacement of your defective receivers with another receiver does not do that.

As for cost, you have a few things to consider. Are you currently on a SWM system? If not, do you have 2 lines already run to the location you want the receiver? If so, how many tuners do you currently have and will the DVR put you over 8?

Depending on your answers, then just having DirecTV send you out a DVR might not work out as you would need additional hardware or parts.

With the tech coming out, if any additional work is required, they will take care of that for you. With regards to the difference in cost, $20 is the normal cost for shipping something out, while $50 is the normal cost of a tech visit. Basically, it sounds like the PP is going to charge you for the tech visit if you decide to upgrade to the DVR.

If you know that you can just hook up the DVR and don't need any other hardware changes, I would cancel the PP visit and just order the DVR from DirecTV. Deactivate the dead H23 and DirecTV will send you a return kit to send it back.

- Merg

3. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    I have a 4 port Swm switch. I have an HR24 H21 and a bum H23. Sounds like I should just have the tech replace the H23 with another non DVR HD box and have DirecTv ship me an HD Dvr.

4. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    I would be worried about sending back a broken box without the PP involved. Wouldn't they charge me for the defective receiver if I did that?

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Nope. In this case, you would just be deactivating a defective receiver and not replacing it. The DVR you order would just be a new receiver added to your account.

- Merg

6. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    I left the H23 unplugged all night. Now it is working fine. Might just cancel the appt.

7. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Could have just been a power surge. Letting it sit for 15 minutes without power allows any residual electricity in the unit to drain. I actually have that issue a lot with my Wii if there is a power failure in that the power goes out and comes immediately back on. In that case, the Wii will not power on until I let it sit unplugged for about 10 minutes.

- Merg

8. StephenJC

StephenJC Legend

Feb 26, 2012
    HDMI out is not working on it. I will keep the appt. Also the boxes are all giving different signal levels some as much as 15 points different. Better have the whole system checked.