1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Will the upcoming new HD DVR allow content to be saved to BluRay or HD DVD?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kathymoore, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kathymoore

kathymoore Legend

Mar 3, 2006
    Will the upcoming new HD DVR allow content to be saved to BluRay or HD DVD recorders?(when available)

If not, any guesses on the size of the hard drive DirecTV will ilke install in the new HD DVR? (bigger or smaller than the current HD DirecTiVo)

The reason I'm asking is that I think it is unlikely that the new HD DVR can be upgraded by adding/replacing a larger hard drive. (can't be done on the R15 DVR, as far as I know)

Thanks for any rumors!

2. DaveTinNY

DaveTinNY Legend

Nov 8, 2004
    I guess the question is will BlueRay or HD DVD players incorporate recorders too... if so, then sure, you could probably pipe the HD content right to the HD DVDR/RW.

I'm also sure the HD DVR hard disks will be much larger in capacity (due to the higher volume of data streaming in HD programming) thus, the higher prices of HD DVRs when they come out.

3. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    That chances are VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY doubtfull.

And that has less to do with the HR20, then it does with the fact that the broadcasters would have an absolute heart attack, if we could easily save an HD quality version of teh program to a stand alone recorder.

HR20 will most likely have a 250gb (based on current statements about recording capacity)... DirecTV has already announced they are going to release external storage add-ons

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.