1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new DBSTalk community platform. We have recently migrated to a community platform called Xenfono and hope you will find this change to your liking. There are some differences, but for the most part, if you just post and read, that will all be the same. If you have questions, please post them in the Forum Support area. Thanks!

Will there ever be an HR25?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mkdtv21, Feb 19, 2014.

1. mkdtv21

mkdtv21 Legend

May 27, 2007
    It seems that Directv's focus is on their genie and whole home dvr solutions. Does this mean the Directv intends to eventually transition every customer to a client/server based system? Or will they still make a new traditional hd dvr.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I certainly hope they still make them, since only one genie is allowed. I don't think there is any plan to discontinue them, but really, what could they really do with an HR25, other than larger drive?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Faster processor.

4. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Add 4K video support but I'd guess then it would be a HR41.

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

5. peds48

peds48 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    From a financial standpoint, I don't DirecTV ever improving a dual tuner DVR. they got plenty of HR24s to go around for quite awhile from folks upgrading to the Genie System. If 4K support is a must, I see DirecTV enhancing its Genie platform or as a standalone HD receiver

6. RAD

RAD DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Then they need to allow for multiple Genie's on an account IMHO.

7. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I am very confident that this will happen over time. When a new receiver "hits the field" employee accounts are not able to get them. I think it took almost a year for employees to be able to get the Genie (through the proper channels). I think what is holding multiple Genies on one account is inventory, although I can't dismissed the technical issues either.

8. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    A local D* installer I've worked with, while admitting no one in 'management' has said so to him, feels it is 'obvious' that multiple Genies are not allowed because of account stacking.

FWIW . . .

9. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    There are a lot of reasons multiple Genies aren't on the map, I'm sure account stacking figures in.

But to the initial question, Mike White has said there will be a new low cost DVR. Whether it will be called HR25 is unknown.

10. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    So you can do "account stacking" with multiple DVRs but not with Genies? It does not make sense

1 person likes this.
  11. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Guys, what's account stacking? And why is it not ok? Just curious. TIA.

Sent from my iPhone

12. sigma1914

sigma1914 DIRECTV A-Team DBSTalk Club

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    Multi receivers at multiple houses... one account.

13. Steve

Steve DIRECTV A-Team

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Gotcha. Thx.

Sent from my iPhone

14. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    For DIRECTV, "improving" any product line has primarily been a matter of cost reduction. The bumps in hard drive capacity (250->320->500) have followed the economics of hard drives. The newer chipsets presumably have a lower component count and reduce the need for external devices like DECA adapters that are now an integral part of their baseline HD offering. The HR23 was a gallant attempt at getting rid of BBCs.

I could see a new model if GenieGo functionality caught fire but the model for the next few years is surely based on a client-server configuration. How DIRECTV deals with storage flexibility may well need to change significantly going forward.

15. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Exactly my point

16. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    I'm not holding my breath a 'new and improved' HDDVR would have an RF remote with range = or better than the DISH procduct, simultaneous RF/IR too, continuous composite output regardless of the HD settings, built in HD modulator for both tuners, small enough to fit behind TV, all the current plugin goodies built in (CCK, etc) SWM input fully compatible with diplexer use, built in dual tuner OTA, ability to record 2 HD satellite and 2 HD OTA shows simultaneously, or even better, ability to record a main and all subs of a given channel as 1 of 2 simultaneous OTA channels recordable, selection of front panel blinky lights color, a true power saving mode, a small LCD screen on the front of the receiver to show current channel number or error code if problem is occurring, comparability with Iogear HD receivers, built in Darblet video processor, and a dust repelling mat black housing.

(yeah, and I am under no illusion any of that is forthcoming)

:coffee

17. mrdobolina

mrdobolina AllStar

Aug 28, 2006
    A Mile High
    What about simply upgrading the HR24 to have the power supply outside of the box, just like the HR44? Make the entire box smaller and make the a point of failure (the power supply) replaceable as well as remove heat from the harddrive.

As for the next iteration of Genie, I would think they would bake the GenieGo right into the box. Just a guess, though.

18. peds48

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    Nahh, too little change for a new box.

19. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    In one of last year's investor calls, they mentioned something about bringing their "LEGO" technology from Latin America. That lets people take a receiver, add a hard drive to it (probably via USB or eSATA) and it becomes a DVR.

Probably not what those who want an updated HR24 have in mind since it would have just the one tuner (unless that receiver model comes with more than one tuner that is dormant until it becomes a DVR) but as a new model it would certainly be faster.

20. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    Mediterranea...
    e* is using EHD via USB without a fancy childish name for long time, they went same way with new OTA DVR K77 aka CM7500 aka DVR+ a couple years ago [after modding HDT-610R EU variant to K77]