1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will they continue to support MRV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by TDK1044, Dec 26, 2011.

1. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    So, do we think that now that D has released the HR34, they will continue to support whole home DVR?

Clearly, they believe that offering U-verse pro is the way to go. But what about those of us who have invested in whole home DVR? I wonder if we'll ever see the much needed shared 'to be recorded' list?

Now that the HR34 is out there, I suspect that there are simply too few whole home DVR users to justify assigning resources.

Time will tell, but I'm not expecting any further updates to further improve whole home DVR. Shame, because it's so close to being an excellent product. :)

2. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Of course they will continue to support Whole Home DVR Service as a lot of customers will not have the HR34 nor will they want one.

3. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Whole Home DVR service will continue just as it has. The HR34 is just another way of providing that to customers. There will be plenty of people for whom the HR34 is not a value added product and for all those out there now that have WHDVR service, DirecTV knows it cannot upgrade all of them to HR34s.

As for updating the software, I wouldn't give up hope yet. There will be plenty of people who will have HR34 and HR2x receivers as part of their configuration. I think it would be beneficial for DirecTV to find a way to integrate recording/to do list/management of recordings among them. And if they can do it for a HR34 and HR2x receiver, it will most likely be available for HR2x to HR2x receviers.

- Merg

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    OK, I'm not going to pick on the thread starter, "but" from what I have seen, this is a fairly dumb question.
    "Why" would be that at first the HR34 didn't do MRV, and was going to be RVU only.
    That didn't turn out as well has they might have hoped [for now] so they added MRV to the HR34.
    MRV is and will be here with more users than RVU for a long time. "IMO"

5. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    I Totally Agree!!!

6. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    Yep...

While there are multiple improvements I'd like to see added to WHDVR, I'm not sure I expect any either. It's possible, but I won't be holding my breath for any improvements or enhancements.

Going back to your first question. I expect the HR34 is the future... by that, I mean that I'm not sure if I expect to see any HR25s released... but as others have said in this thread, there will be a lot people with HR2xs that will certainly want MRV... and DirecTV gains nothing by taking that ability away from current equipment.

~Alan

7. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    I don't know actual numbers, but I would guess there are thousands times more customers with MRV than with HR34, and will be for a long time to come.

Consider this, DIRECTV still supports single television standard definition receivers with 18" round dishes, and will for years to come. They have typically continued support for any given iteration/generation of equipment long after the next generation arrives.

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    Plus, Directv wants to keep up with Competition especially Dish so it needs to keep WHDVR just to entice those of us who don't have or need an HR34 to stay onboard with Directv and that is what all of these things do.

Take some of them away and we will leave which Directv will not allow because they are Very Aware of their Worst Enemy and that is CHURN!!! :D

9. TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Interesting responses. Certainly food for thought. Thanks, Guys. :)

10. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You're Welcome!!! :)