1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this pole work to mount a Slimline on the ground?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by paragon, May 18, 2010.

1. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    I am thinking about moving my Slimline to a ground mount (currently it is mounted on my deck and I don't really like it there) and just wanted to verify that this pole will do the trick:

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...d-Mast-for-SuperDISH&c=Mounting Supplies&sku=

If anybody knows of any other place to get a 2" pole for less than the $35 that one costs shipped, that would be helpful also.

A couple related questions:

Since I already have the dish, all I need is a pole and some cement, correct?

How much of the pole should be below ground level?

2. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    That pole should work, it is 6 feet long. If you bury 2 to 3 feet, that leaves you 3 to 4 feet above ground.

Are your coax cables long enough to reach the intended location? If not, how do you plan to extend them?

When you install the pole, make certain that it is absolutely plumb vertically. Use a level.

As to other places to get a pipe, check fencing supply facilities (chain link fence post) or muffler/exhaust shops (exhaust pipe). Both can be found in 2" OD.

3. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    I haven't decided EXACTLY where to place the pole yet, but it will almost certainly be closer to my SWM8 than where the dish currently is, so the cabling shouldn't be a problem. If it was farther away, I have a compression crimper, so I could just make new cables.

With the dish 3-4 feet above ground, will the signal be blocked if someone is standing a few feet in front of it?

Thanks for your response.

4. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    You can typically get an 8' length of 2" heavy-duty muffler tubing for about $20 at any muffler shop, and they'll cut it down to whatever length you want. It's exactly what you need for pole-mounting a dish.

The shorter the pole above the ground, the less the pole will move. With the dish 4' off the ground, you'd have to be less than a foot in front of the dish and be 6' or more to block the signal.

5. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    Great. Sounds like this will work nicely for me. So would say a 7' pole with 3' below ground and 4' above ground be a pretty typical and acceptable setup?

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Sounds great. Don't be shy with the concrete either. There's no such thing as too much! :lol:

7. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    I'm surprised that no one mentioned putting a bolt through the bottom of the pipe so that it won't turn in the concrete.

8. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    Thanks for the tip. Just drill a hole through the pipe and run a bolt through it?

9. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Woops! Yes. Make sure to either run a bolt through the bottom of the pole, or even better, flatten it out with a hammer. Otherwise it might break loose someday and just spin in the concrete.

10. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    Flatten the bottom of the pole?

11. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Correct. That way, the concrete has something to hold on to when it loses it's bond with the pole [Breaks loose] as they all do someday.

12. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Yes.

I used to also recommend flattening the pipe or cutting it off at an angle to prevent spinning, but it seems that most people don't realize that the anti-spin feature needs to be imbedded in the concrete, and most folks seem determined to drive the bottom of the pole into the dirt, where those anti-spin features will be useless. A bolt 8-10" from the bottom ensures that the anti-spin feature will actually be in the concrete.

13. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    I like the cut at an angle idea, much more elegant and I can just get the guys at the muffler shop to cut it off that way for me!

14. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Be sure to suspend the pole IN the concrete then. Pour some of the mix in the hole before putting the pole in. Like Battlezone said, the anti spin feature won't do any good if it's in the dirt and not the concrete.

15. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    Yep, got it! I'll probably do the bolt too, just for good measure.

16. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Always better to be thorough. ;)

17. paragon

paragon Godfather

Nov 15, 2007
    Okay one last question....how do I properly ground the dish when its pole mounted? Right now the grounding wire is attached to one of the bolts on the J-mount. Where should I attach the grounding wire in the new setup?

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Use a #8 self-tapping screw in the pole an inch or two below the dish's main mast collar. You'll need one for the hole in the collar too.

[​IMG]

19. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    When you take the Mount off the Deck-remove the foot plate and 6" to 8" from the bottom of the new poll -lay the pole down and put the foot plate into to pole lengh wise and beat that over the pole it will add a nice set of wings to hold in the concrete, use 3 bags of 50lbs.

That's a lot less work as far as beating the pole flat or drilling a bolt thu it.

You only need to go as deep, below the frost line in your area. Your area 24" Canada 48"