1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this setup work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by ck42, Sep 3, 2011.

1. ck42

ck42 Mentor

Aug 12, 2008
    NewD-setup.jpg
    Wanting to make sure that there are no errors in this.
    Currently have a non-SWiM dish. Main concern here is if the PI for the new SWiM LNB can work in this position.

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yes, that should work just fine.

Any particular reason you chose to use two 2 x 1 SWiM splitters instead of just one strategically placed 4 x 1?

3. ck42

ck42 Mentor

Aug 12, 2008
    Thanks for the confirmation.
    Regarding the two two-way splitters - yes, there in fact is a good reason I've done it this way.
    The top splitter will be mounted somewhere very close to the dish, likely just inside the attic space, under the dish - right at the edge of the roofline. The run going off to the right will be a coax run going through the attic to the upper bedroom
    The run going to the left will go straight down the corner of the house (outside) and then back inside on the first floor....where after entering inside the house, will then join to the second splitter.

The goal here was to have only a single coax run going from the room/dish area down to the first floor.

If you can think of a better way to do this, I'm all ears. I just wish I could snake a coax run between the wall studs all the way down from the attic. :grin:

4. Kevin F

Kevin F Hall Of Fame

May 9, 2010
    Make sure the LNB you get is a green label one. If its a white label, no problem, just use a BSF between the dish and the 1st splitter. This is to stop the high frequency MRV signal from hitting. Your LNB Winn most likely be a green label one though, as will the splitters.

Just a heads up
    Kevin

5. ck42

ck42 Mentor

Aug 12, 2008
    Thanks for the heads-up Kevin.

But what exactly are these labels? If I were to buy this equipment, am I able to specify label color?

[EDIT] Never mind. It seems that green label devices essentially have a built-in BSF....and apparently, installers should replacing any white label equipment with green, if MRV is being setup.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    No actually the green label SWiM splitters do not have BSFs, but additional circuitry to band pass DECA frequencies at much lower attenuation between its output ports than a regular non-SWiM splitter.

In your case the output port isolation loss is only about 8 db for the DECA band instead of the normal ~22 db for all other frequencies outside the band.

See;

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=186663

7. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    OK;

No, apparently yours is the best hookup option. I just couldn't tell how far apart the two 2 x 1 splitters were from each other in your diagram.

If you would maybe included a line of demarcation in the diagram between the two splitters with "Attic" and "Downstairs" labeled somewhere above and below it, I would have understood better. :)

8. ck42

ck42 Mentor

Aug 12, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification.
    I've also updated my setup image to reflect distance. :D

9. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    Change frequency to level and you're correct. MRV/DECA is below the SWiM frequencies.