1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this Whole Home DVR configuration work?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by eph3, Dec 19, 2010.

1. eph3

eph3 AllStar

Dec 23, 2007
    I'm looking to upgrade to a Whole Home DVR configuration and the diagram here is what I believe I need to do. Are there any problems or errors in my configuration? This represents an upgraded environment from my current configuration which does not have SWM or DECA network now.

I do have a "before" diagram as well which I can post if needed.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    :nono:
    You can't use the HR24 to bridge from the DECA to ethernet, as when the ethernet connects, it disables the DECA.
    You need to have a broadband DECA for this.

3. ejhuzy

ejhuzy Legend

Jun 19, 2006
    Does this install look right? I'm having trouble getting a picture now. This was done by DTV. Is the SWM PI hooked up right?

[​IMG]

4. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Ummm... Can you post a larger pic?

- Merg

5. eph3

eph3 AllStar

Dec 23, 2007
    Would that mean that I have to add the DECA connection to the HR24 like in this revised diagram?

I use Media Share and VOD so I need to bridge my home network with the SWM network. Just looking for the proper way to do this since I'm new to this type of configuration. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

6. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    No.

When using DECA for MRV, you do not hook up an external DECA to a H24/HR24 as they have an internal DECA. You need to use a green-label splitter off of SWM1. One output goes to the PI and then the HR24 (or the PI can be before the splitter, if you want). The other output goes to the DECA. From the DECA you would have the DECA PI and the ethernet cable to your router.

In your pic, it looks like the router is connected via an ethernet port on the HR24. If you are using DECA for MRV, the ethernet ports on the H24/HR24 are not active.

Also, while you do have the D12 off of your legacy port, you can also have it off of one of the SWM ports as it is SWM compatible.

- Merg

7. eph3

eph3 AllStar

Dec 23, 2007
    Thanks very much Merg! A splitter was the missing component to have the configuration make sense. I believe this config addresses the errors in the prior version. This should work?

[​IMG]

8. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    This looks better, but the DECA needs a PI for power, and the 2-way splitter needs to have the SWiM PI connected to the other port to pass DC [yeah it's easier to draw it this way].

9. eph3

eph3 AllStar

Dec 23, 2007
    Thanks VOS! Hopefully this final tweak captures all of the feedback and corrections I've gotten from everyone...

[​IMG]

BUT, I must admit that I'm concerned about the number and complexity of the additional DECA components required to make this work. I have an existing hardwired ethernet network run throughout my house which I used for MRV capability with ReplayTV DVRs in the past. I'm likely to upgrade my existing config to SWM8 and HR-24 but leverage my existing network after turning on the service with D*. The config is MUCH less complex...

[​IMG]

10. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    Lose the upper SWiM PI, since you only need one.
    I read & posted in your other thread, but "only see" two DECAs being added into your setup and they seem to be fairly bulletproof.

Maybe this just comes down to "the devil you know, verses one you don't". :lol:

11. eph3

eph3 AllStar

Dec 23, 2007
    Thanks again VOS! We'll see how it goes ... I'm probably going to try my existing ethernet network first, but will switch to DECA if needed.

12. eph3

eph3 AllStar

Dec 23, 2007
    I've removed the diagrams from this thread for configurations which had errors in them.

13. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Adding in DECAs really doesn't add to the complexity of your setup and in reality reduces the number of wires needed. As the DECA sits right behind the receiver, you really just use some small patch cables to connect the DECA to the receiver so it will appear that only one cable is going to each receiver.

You then just need one additional DECA to bridge to your home network.

- Merg

14. dwcolvin

dwcolvin Icon

Oct 4, 2007
    The question is, why do you have to ask? :confused:

Presumably, DirecTV has figured out how to do MRV/DECA installs by now, there's no way for you to do the upgrade yourself for less than DirecTV will charge to do it, and it's "guaranteed" to work.

15. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Well.... :)

- Merg

16. eph3

eph3 AllStar

Dec 23, 2007
    Let's see how much this stirs things up ....

If you really break down all of additional components added with the DECA configuration, there are many additional potential points of failure. Getting REALLY anal about it, there are a dozen added elements: components, connections, etc. which is concerning to me. I had an issue with my initial install of the D* HD-DVR - I could not reliably record two HD programs simultaneously. After several calls to D* about the issue I traced the problem down to a bad coax connector on one of the cables coming from the dish.

To me, all things being equal (or close enough) simpler is better. :)

17. veryoldschool

Dec 9, 2006
    So did I with my HD upgrade which was the first time I let anyone else do any work.
    Anybody can "blank" a wet dream, but this doesn't mean everyone will.

Do what you're comfortable with and be done with it, unless it doesn't work. :lol:

18. eph3

eph3 AllStar

Dec 23, 2007
    The new SWM8, PI and HD-DVR (HR22) are in place and working fine. I submitted the request to D* to enable Whole Home DVR using the instructions in this forum (link below), and am waiting for them to turn the service on.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=177590

19. Kev4Bama

Kev4Bama Legend

Aug 7, 2010
    I also sent an email about 2:00 Central today following the instructions on the first page as well but have yet to get a response

20. Nacraman1

Nacraman1 Cool Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Kev4Bama,

What is the status on your email request for MRV from DTV? I'm interested on whether they turned it on and how long they took.

Thanks.