1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you be getting HD locals?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Chris Blount, Mar 3, 2006.

Will you be getting HD locals?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  2. No

132 vote(s)
    69.1%
  3. Undecided

58 vote(s)
    30.4%
  1. Mar 3, 2006 #1 of 24
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    With Dish and DirecTV starting to roll out HD locals, would you subscribe to them?

2. Mar 3, 2006 #2 of 24
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Maybe I'm confused, but if you get locals from them already, and I'd think that more would than dont, dont they get turned on automatically? So shouldnt the poll be something more like, when your locals are available in HD from your sat provider, will you add the local package?

3. Mar 3, 2006 #3 of 24
    Mikey

Mikey Hall Of Fame

Oct 26, 2004
    I voted Yes, but I've had Dish locals for two years now. You should add something like "Will you pay $xxx to upgrade to a receiver that will receive HD locals from the satellite?"

4. Mar 3, 2006 #4 of 24
    Laverne

Laverne Guest

Feb 17, 2005
    I am undecided.. It will depend on how quickly they turn up the power to the towers once we actually get all our locals being broadcast in HD. I will also have to weigh the idea of how they will REALLY look coming from E* vs. what I would have to actually go through to get them RELIABLY OTA.

I AM looking forward to getting them, one way or another. :)

5. Mar 3, 2006 #5 of 24
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    How about the option, of 'already receiving them but too impatient to wait years for satellite to offer them'. :) With recording and watching 14 network shows a week, HD locals are pretty important to me. I just wish our Fox was in HD for football. All the shows I watch on the big 3 are in HD and look amazing, perhaps the best are the CSIs, plus the added bonus of hearing the theme songs in Dolby 5.1. :) For the awe factor PBS HD is pretty nice. You know I have exactly zero interest in what Discovery HD Theater and PBS HD show, but I will watch both channels for a few hours a week, couldn't tell you what I watched specifically other then it looked amazing.

One of these days I just might hook my outdoor antenna back up and see how the picture quality compares between OTA and cable and also see what I can reel in from Canada and Rochester. CITY TV from Canada broadcasts the Naked News in HD :dance:

6. Mar 3, 2006 #6 of 24
    OceanaJones

OceanaJones Mentor

Feb 16, 2005
    Sorry for my ignorance, but I was a little confused by the question. I think you are asking " Will I subscribe to the HD locals when they become available?" Right now HD locals are not available over satellite in my area (Norfolk, VA) and I don't know if I will ever be getting them or, when they will be made available by Dish. I talked a friend of mine into subscribing to the HD package only to be disappointed by the fact that my HD locals are not yet available. I had to do some extensive research (thanks to this forum and those that support it) to finally realize that although my locals are being broadcast in HD, that in fact I could not get them over the satellite.

7. Mar 3, 2006 #7 of 24
    JM Anthony

JM Anthony Child of the 60's DBSTalk Gold Club

Nov 16, 2003
    I'll get my HD broadcasts, I'm just not sure how I'll get them. Even though I've been with E* for a long time, I'm not a happy camper right now as I invested $1,700 to buy a 921 and 942. On the flip side, I've also invested about $2,500 in a custom build HTPC and am trying to track the next generation of HDTV cards. It's a lot easier for me to upgrade my HTPC for either memory or new technology than it is with either E* or D*, so I may end up going that route.

If I decide to stay with DBS, I'm going to wait a while before upgrading to make sure I'll be satisfied with the results.

John

8. Mar 3, 2006 #8 of 24
    BobaBird

BobaBird EKB Editor

Mar 30, 2002
    Norfolk is on the list to be added by Dish at some unknown time in 2006. Past results may not be a predictor of future performance:D, but the initial 5 markets to be available by the 3/13 has turned into 12 available on 3/1.
    See http://ekb.dbstalk.com/hdlocal.htm

9. Mar 4, 2006 #9 of 24
    baiwen

baiwen New Member

Aug 20, 2004
    My HD locals are mpeg-4 something I didnt realive when ordering my hr10-250, since I think the ota antenna is sort of a pain in the butt to need to setup myself I need to wait until the new receiver comes out.

10. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    Your HD locals from satellite are MPEG4. Your HD locals from antenna are MPEG2

11. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I get Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC, and PBS all via OTA and have an HR10-250. I can't see myself getting HD-sat locals until they're better than my OTA or my receiver dies, in which case I'll switch to whatever company has the best DVR.

12. olgeezer

olgeezer Guest

Dec 5, 2003
    And as long as the OTA is transmitted OTA, there seems to be much less compression, and much better color saturation and contrast. I said undecided because I still don't have local Fox or ABC broadcasting HD. I've become an HD snob and 90% of my viewing is in HD

13. K4LK

K4LK Cool Member

Mar 11, 2003
    How about a 4th choice "I would if they were offered". I'm in the 13th largest DMA and we're not even on the list for 2006 :(

14. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I agree, olgeezer. I can see a time when, however, they offer more than I can get OTA. At which time I'd use both MAYBE. I won't give up my Tivo until something comes along as good, though.

15. bear paws

bear paws Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    NE Ct.
    Not untill the PQ improves to the level of my 62" Mits DLP OTA tuner or better.
    If the PQ is as poor as most of E*s offerings {how come RAVE, DISC. has knock-out HD PQ but most are:p??} never happen.
    Even the OTA thru the 811 is poor, HDMI is crap and componant is not as good as the tuner direct. [#3rd 811 and same old] TV's HDMI is great thru the SAMSUNG STB.
    [I use one for my Pan 40" crt and tried it on my MITS to proof the HDMI.]

Anything over 36" looks like a early 80's cheap VCR or worse on SD.
    AND I don't see by the posts on this forum or over at AVS that the 211 is much if any better.

Sadly the folks that can not or won't get OTA direct are really missing out on real HI-DEF. and even really good OTA digital SD and I don't see E* cleaning up their equipment or their compression [Even with MPEG$$]
    Any one remember how great VOOOM's [sigh] MPEG4 Motorola PQ [HD AND SD inc. locals] looked? We know it can be done.

But it is what it is and I don't believe that E*,or D*,really cares what we say here as long as we keep accepting the occassional bone they throw us.

Still waiting for the "PROMISE" :lol: :mad:

Bear!

16. Nick

Nick Retired, part-time PITA DBSTalk Club

Apr 23, 2002
    The...
    I got HD locals (ABC, NBC, FOX) from JAX when I switched from E* to A* (Adelphia :) ) about six months ago.

Just need to get CBS-HD already. :rolleyes:

17. ClaudeR

ClaudeR Godfather

Dec 6, 2003
    I get them OTA, don't sub to HD pack anymore with my 921 - I should have kept it, because I can't get it back anymore. The best I can do now is the bronze pack

18. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    Does it count that I already have them?

Due to OTA reception, I have to access CBS via the NY feed on the HR10-250.

When the HR20 is released, I will be able to use the MPEG-4 feeds then.
    I will probably still have my OTA hooked up, as a backup... but based on the compression and picture quality... the MPEG4 feeds are going to work just fine.

19. AcuraCL

AcuraCL Godfather

Dec 12, 2005
    I'm philosophically opposed to paying for what's free.

Nope. OTA all the way.

20. Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp Analog Geek in a Digital World Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Jun 10, 2004
    Northern...
    I marked no just cause I am under the impression there is no immediate plans to roll my DMA out in HD AFAIK. I get it all OTA, so it really doesn't matter. But I would sub if avail.