1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you be renewing Hot Pass for 2009?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by RunnerFL, Oct 20, 2008.

Will you be renewing Hot Pass for 2009?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    This poll is pretty simple.

I want to see how many people are fed up with what we're given every week on Hot Pass.

It's a simple Yes or No poll.

If you want to state why you voted Yes, or why you voted No, please do so in a response to the thread.

I for one will NOT be renewing Hot Pass because:

1. It's all about Junior.
    2. The POOR censoring. It shouldn't be censored but if it must then you MUST do a good job of getting the mute/beep in the right place instead of muting out an entire conversation.
    3. There was at least 1 issue with Hot Pass every race this year.
    4. 3 drivers each week, no I'm not counting Junior, instead of 5 last year. [Last year wasn't all about Junior].

2. cadet502

cadet502 FHNSAB DBSTalk Club

Jun 17, 2005
    I voted no, mostly due to the limited choice of drivers for most of the season. While I can almost understand having the 88 on every week, the weeks where there were 2 and 3 drivers from one team really chap my shorts. Last year they seemed to be much more careful to have at least one from each mfg., this year it did not seem to matter.

I'll get the middle of the road subscription to Trackpass, much more useful when you follow a driver not always in the top 10.

3. jselinger24

jselinger24 Legend

Jan 27, 2007
    Yes, I will renew.

I hate Junior being on every week, but Jeff Gordon is on 1/3rd of the races, which I can live with.

The super channel is great, because the crew chatter is in sync with the video.

I would share my complaints with DirecTV before cancelling, guys. They are open to all suggestions/ new ideas.

4. Juppers

Juppers Icon

Oct 26, 2006
    I voted no.

Too many issues this year, especially with audio levels and censoring. I wanted hotpass to better follow my favorite drivers. Most of the time while important stuff is being said on the driver audio feeds on the network channel, they go to commercial or censor 3/4s of the conversation, making it a completely useless "feature".

The 88 having a channel nearly all season with no racing basis at all is a waste and an insult to every capable driver that has been doing well and being ignored this year.

They removed interactive features that were there last year, such as current running order.

I don't see how less drivers, less features, but more audio channels is improving the service from the year before. It seems more like a step backwards. Aside from going HD this season, it was a huge step backwards overall.

Also, it seems the featured drivers channels have less data this year also. I seem to remember more rpm, throttle/breaking, pit times, misc data on there last year.

5. Kdiddy

Kdiddy AllStar

Jan 1, 2008
    A 'No' vote for me. The driver channels are worthless with censorship. I refuse to let someone decide for me what I can listen to when I'm paying expressly for that right. There is virtually no value add when all the details are censored. I've been watching the network channel for the last few months.

Driver choice was fine for me this year, though surprised the first place guy isn't on more during the chase. But no beef there for me.

There were technical glitches that happened during races, but with all the production and technical setup required for this to product happen, I was willing to let those slide for the reasonable price they charge for the package.

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Not a big enough NASCAR fan to cause me to renew it for 2009. This year was better then last with the HD addition but I just didn't find myself using to justify the expense.

7. T_N_T

T_N_T Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    I remember JR swearing a lot during the Daytona 500, but that's the only race I watched because of the Free preview. Did they clamp down on the vulgarity since then?

8. JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
    No for me it wasn't so HOT

9. fluffybear

fluffybear Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 19, 2004
    Peachtree...
    Nope!

I did not want it for this year either but due to some screw up, DirecTV failed to remove it from my account before the start of the season. Took a few phone calls to get the matter cleared up but they refudned my money and let me keep Hot Pass.

10. ilovehd

ilovehd Mentor

Jan 5, 2007
    I was torn between no and yes. I am a huge Junior fan and the fact that he is on most of the time is a major selling point. That being said the censorship is a major problem, for that reason I may not.

For now I am voting yes.

11. Kdiddy

Kdiddy AllStar

Jan 1, 2008
    Yep after the first couple of races, they attempt to bleep out vulgarity (along with the majority of the conversation). Butchered it. :(

12. T_N_T

T_N_T Legend

Sep 9, 2008
    Then, what is the point of it then?

13. t_dennis

t_dennis New Member

Jul 29, 2006
    I would love to have the option of team audio behind the network audio on the driver channel just like it is on the super channel.

14. mikeren1

mikeren1 AllStar

Sep 13, 2008
    Jax, Fl
    My vote will be no.. But only for financial reasons..Being a jr fan i love that he was on every race ( minus 1 road course race i think)..If direct tv told every1 that he wouldnt be on every week i think they would lose a whole lot more people than those who are mad because he is on every week...Just my opinion..

15. Lanthom

Lanthom Legend

Aug 6, 2008
    I got it for free when I joined but decided it wasn't worth it. I like Jr but him having a channel each week gets old. It would have been nice to have seen some different drivers.

16. LCollett

LCollett Cool Member

Oct 24, 2007
    I voted yes. I watch the JR channel, but record all channels using three DVR's. I do not watch everything recorded, but it is nice to be able to, depending on what happens in the race. For me, HotPass is a great value.

17. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    We've shared our complaints here each week. And SatelliteRacer I'm sure has taken those back to DirecTV. However nothing has been done...

And we've been told that most definitely nothing will be done about Junior having his own channel each and every week.

DirecTV has made it crystal clear that they don't care about anyone else's fans besides Junior's.

18. SPACEMAKER

SPACEMAKER Freethinker

Dec 11, 2007
    Mason, MI
    Hell yes I'll be renewing. It's not perfect but it's still pretty awesome, The censoring has gotten better and I really like channel 799 for when the 24 doesn't have a channel. Also it's very cheap. For just over $2.00 per race it's a fantastic deal.

Also they have done a good job with the driver lineup. Since Jr's fans are basically subsidizing the entire project it's obvious to even the most mentally challenged among us that he needs to get a channel every week. They have featured the other top drivers plenty throughout the season and have been doing a good job during the chase of focusing on drivers who are in the title hunt.

I do understand why some people will want to cancel because there is no way to please everyone. But I like Hotpass and will subscribe every year that it's offered even if the double the price. NASCAR is my only real vice so I don't mind paying the same amount for an entire season of coverage that some people spend every week on cigarettes and alcohol.

19. mikeren1

mikeren1 AllStar

Sep 13, 2008
    Jax, Fl
    "Also they have done a good job with the driver lineup. Since Jr's fans are basically subsidizing the entire project it's obvious to even the most mentally challenged among us that he needs to get a channel every week." That's what i wanted to say :)

20. smokes20

smokes20 Godfather

Sep 17, 2007
    Nope, I voted No. Smoke is one of NASCAR's top drivers and he gets a channel every 4-5 races this year. His audio sucks most of the time. Add the fact that he wasn't a scheduled driver but was switched during the race a few weeks ago and notification was a split second crawler that I must has blinked through, just isn't good enough for me to spend $89. When Smoke ends up next season in the top ten going into the chase :D , I will consider getting the Race to the Chase portion of Hotpass for $20 or so bucks, but not the entire season. I have had it with censorship, poor audio and Hotpass announcers who consistently talk over the audio channels for the drivers. Even listening to DW is better than Adam Alexander's ramblings about nothing.

ETA: Just wanted to add that Satelliteracer has been more than helpful during the issues most of us expressed here. He always has acknowledged them and passed on to the powers that be those which could be addressed and fixed. More than once when audio issues were posted, he read them and had them corrected quickly. He can't fix Jrs nation hold on 796, nor can he assure me that Smoke will get a dedicated channel more than Jeffie does :), but he manages to keep his wits about him while we are complaining. Now, if by some chance he needs a button pusher for next year when Smoke should get a channel, he has my email addy :lol: