1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you be switching from Dish to DirecTV because of the newly announced DVR fees?

Discussion in 'Standard Definition Receiver Support Forum' started by Chris Blount, Jul 30, 2003.

Will you be switching from Dish to DirecTV because of the newly announced DVR fees?

1. YES

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. NO

78 vote(s)
    60.5%
  3. UNDECIDED

51 vote(s)
    39.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 30, 2003 #1 of 121
    Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Obviously this is directed at Dish Network customers.

See this thread if you don't know what I am talking about:

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=17141

2. Jul 30, 2003 #2 of 121
    Bob Haller

Bob Haller Banned User

Mar 24, 2002
    Yeah I live with the PVR bugs. But once they charge for it it MUST be flawless and sadly I KNOW E isnt going to provide a rock solid PVR.

This leaves me going to D, besides I WANT NAME BASED RECORDINGS!

Now if your charging at least get the license for name based recordings.........

3. Jul 30, 2003 #3 of 121
    Gunnyman

Gunnyman Legend

Jul 25, 2003
    I never understood why dish dint BUY replay...

4. Jul 30, 2003 #4 of 121
    boba

boba Hall Of Fame

May 23, 2003
    Chris as I already posted I changed from DISH to Directv last Sunday not because of the DVR rates but simply I got fed up with the poor picture quality and the constant software revisions that don't work. My new RCA receivers do the functions that they were supposed to no problems in the 2 1/2 days that I have had them. Yes this price hike for no additional service might have pushed me over the edge if I hadn't alredy jumped. It sure wouldn't have made me want to stay.

5. Jul 30, 2003 #5 of 121
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I've already checked with two local DirecTV dealers.

6. Jul 30, 2003 #6 of 121
    guywall

guywall Mentor

Jan 8, 2003
    This would be a good choice. Since I just bought the 721 (because I was tired of waiting for the 522), if they EVER said there would be a fee for DVR, then I would leave.

7. Jul 30, 2003 #7 of 121
    Kagato

Kagato Godfather

Jul 1, 2002
    It all comes down to what Tivo has in the HD relm. I had the oppertunity to take a very detailed HD survey from Tivo last year. They made it clear they were floating a number of ideas.

It was very apparent that Tivo was giving serious consideration to firewire both for recording and archiving. For me it's simple, if Tivo has an HD unit that will archive to Firewire it's over for Dish. The fees are the same, the software is better.

Another thing to consider though... It was also clear that Tivo was considering a Firewire recording box. Somthing that could hook into the firewire out of a cable STB (if/when that happens) or perhaps even the much heard about but never seen 211.

The last thing is why make 150 and 100 have the same fee? the extra 50 channels are somewhat weak. There's a good change people will downgrade to 100 or as a new customer opt for 100 when without the fee they would have gone for 150.

8. Jul 30, 2003 #8 of 121
    gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm grandfathered so won't be paying anything, but doubt I will spend any more money on E* hardware and if my 508 dies or I decide to give it up (Although I have extended warranty), I'll buy a SA TiVo and pay for another Lifetime sub (using my closeted 301) before I would buy any new E* hardware. If D* mirrored the programming requirements I would jump ship, but right now the programming options is what keeps me at E*, if they lost that advantage I'd be gone in a second...and would get Two DTiVos and sell my SA TiVo...

9. Jul 30, 2003 #9 of 121
    Peluso

Peluso Legend

Sep 11, 2002
    Everything hinges on the 921 and HD DirecTIVO. I'm sold on Satellite, but more than anything I want a PVR that does HD.

10. Jul 30, 2003 #10 of 121
    Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Undecided, I want to get a DTiVo and sooner or later will, but not at the current moment. I'd be grandfathered from the fee, but I don't not the fact that Dish is changing to use the DVR with it's relatively limited features.

I have a DTiVo question, from what I understood a phone line was required to receive software updates, I read somewhere recently that the software now comes via satellite, is that true?

11. Jul 30, 2003 #11 of 121
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    I have 2 direct recievers, 1`in the bedroom and 1 here by the rest of my system, I killed my direct in may as I liked dish programing better, plus loved my 501. The PQ was very close on both and I was grandfathered in on the networks on direct. It will depend on the capabilitys of the directhd tivo compared with the 921. I get the AEP so would not pay the fee, but my 6000 is only 5 months old and would hate to take a loss on it.

12. Jul 30, 2003 #12 of 121
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    It will depend for me on what Dish does with the HD channel package. If they compress the signals so they look as bad as they do on Directv, I'm gone. HDTivo, here I come. If the HD channels look like DiscoveryHD does now, then it will be a harder decision. I'm really disappointed with the compression that DTV is imposing on their HD package. I think that Dish is in a better position to offer HD that actually looks HD, but paying an extra $10 or $15 per month every month on top of the $1000 for the 921 really, really sucks.

13. Jul 30, 2003 #13 of 121
    Chris Freeland

Chris Freeland Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Only if D* adds Chattanooga locals and E* also charges an extra $4.99 for the 2nd tuner on the soon coming 522.

14. Jul 30, 2003 #14 of 121
    Danbo

Danbo AllStar/Supporter

Oct 3, 2002
    I subscribe to everything, pretty much. So, if the 921 uses the same type of deal, I probably wouldn't be affected except for the purchase of the receiver itself. However, should Tivo come out (or, more specifically, DirecTivo) with a HD dual tuner PVR unit before Dish, I will give that serious consideration in light of the recent fee issue (not to mention buggy 721 software).

By the way, the black screen on channel changes is back. So is the intermittent lock and auto reboot. And another problem, being unable to watch anything on the 2nd tuner if you have the 1st tuner doing a record, with manual stop. I've yet to document all the steps that caused it, but it was a frustrating evening on Sunday when that happened (all because I accidentally hit stop when trying to WATCH an event that was being recorded). Luckily I found out the event was delayed, so decided to do a manual stop to make sure I got it all going. Then the problem popped up. More later, in another post...

15. Jul 30, 2003 #15 of 121
    dfergie

dfergie Hall Of Fame

Feb 27, 2003
    Just got my direct back with my networks, will keep both until the 921 comes out I guess.

16. Jul 30, 2003 #16 of 121
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    I want a PVR/DVR/TiVo for HD. If Dish comes out with it first (doubtful) I may stay. But if Comcast or DirecTV/TiVO are first is't bye bye Charlie. I'm tired of tuning into every Charlie and Tech Chat and having no availabiltiy date announced for a product that was announced what, close to 2 years ago.

17. Jul 30, 2003 #17 of 121
    EricG

EricG Godfather

Mar 28, 2002
    No way will Dish come out with ANYTHING with a TiVo logo on it. E* would never pay the licensing fees.

18. Jul 30, 2003 #18 of 121
    rh26

rh26 Mentor

Jan 25, 2003
    That's my vote (I selected UNDECIDED above).

It boils down to this. Sometime after Christmas I'll be ready for an HDTV receiver with DVR. If the 921 has a $5 fee (I'm AT100), then DirecTV looks competitive on price. The TiVo box (assuming they don't do anything stupid) is almost certainly better and if DirecTV actually gets smart and makes it a Series 2 with Home Media Option then I'm gone...

...think about it. Dish wants $999 for the 921, plus I'll need to buy a Superdish, etc to make it work. DirecTV will no doubt subsidize the equipment purchase to gain a new customer (and provide free installation). Seems like a no brainer to me.

19. Jul 30, 2003 #19 of 121
    Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I won;t say I absolutely will leave E* if they charge fees in general, heck I've had 2 DishPlayers for 3 or 4 years so I am by definition, insane, but if they do slap a fee on the 921 it is a huge check in the negative column for E* when it comes time to make the HD PVR/DVR/AVR/BVR/CVR/ZVR decision. I pay right at $100 a month for sat service as it is and I don;t even qualify for free DVR fees according to the schedule I've seen since I only sub to the lowly package of AT150, HBO, Showtime, Locals and Supers and I have 3 receivers.

20. Jul 30, 2003 #20 of 121
    pjmrt

pjmrt Hall Of Fame

Jul 17, 2003
    I voted "No" - but really its "not at this time". My current receivers are grandfathered in w/ no fee - at least until that policy changes too. (Hey Dish - its a shame I can't be certain about your assurance that the 501/508/721 will not have fees) If E* position remains unchanged, well DTV is a distinct option come late next year. That's when I was planning to revamp my system for HDTV. So I will remain a dish customer until next year. After that depends on Dish.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.