1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will you buy a Echostar 721 Receiever for $549??

Discussion in 'Archive' started by Scott Greczkowski, May 14, 2002.

Will you buy a 721 for $549

1. Yes - I want one, I will buy it for $549

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I want one but I only want to pay $499 for it

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I will buy one when they offer a trade in for Dishplayer owners

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I was interested but not now. I will take a wait and see attitude

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. I was interested but now I am leaning twards a $99 DirecTivo or an UltimateTV

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. I have never had an interest in this product. I have no plans of ever buying one.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Scott Greczkowski

Scott Greczkowski Banned User

Mar 21, 2002
    Last night on the Dish Network Tech Chat they announced the price of a 721 would be $549, or $599 is you want a Dish included with it.

The question is how many of you are / were interested in the 721 and would you pay the $549 for it?

2. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    I think I will bite the bullet and buy one for $549. Its more then I wanted to spend but I want one.

This will be my Birthday present this year from my wife (so I guess it means I will paying for it myself anyways) :D

I have had mine on order from Dish Depot since he put up the pre order. I can't wait to get my hands on it!

3. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I can honestly say that I have never wanted one of these. Now, I do want a 921, and will most likely pay up to just about any price point to get one. My guess is that it will be $1499.

4. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    My guess is that by the time the 921 arrives on the scene the 721 will go through two price drops and the 921 will fall in to the $799-$999 price bracket (I hope).

5. EricG

EricG Godfather

Mar 28, 2002
    After reading THAT price I am SO glad I switched to DirecTV and bought TWO Hughes DirecTiVos for $119 when I did!

6. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I'll probably go ahead and get one.....*sigh*, I have been really wanting one.

EricG, I bet you are happy, If I wasn't obligated under the "I like 9" promo I would consider it as well.

7. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I really want one, [at this point] I have more then enough money for a 721 but I dont wanna spend $550 on something that might not work like its supposed too or be bug ridden. Right now I am definatly leaning towards a 501

8. n0qcu

n0qcu Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    At that price since it doesn't come in black, noway! I'll just get another 501.

9. AllieVi

AllieVi Hall Of Fame

Apr 10, 2002
    I would be interested in getting a 721, but two conditions will have to be met:

1) the price is lower - I don't know what my ultimate price point might be, but it's a good bit south of $549

2) the discussions of its performance on DBSTalk are overwhelmingly good and people prefer it to the competition

I expect those conditions won't be met for a good while.

Being a reformed early-adopter, I now choose to let others do the beta-testing that was mentioned during the technical show. The discussions gave me the impression that the 721 is still being tested. The delivery schedule may suffer a delay if unknown problems are discovered.

10. Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    I wish this thing came in black, but now it appears that silver is taking over in the HT world. Everytime I goto CC or BB I see more and more silver components. Personaly I think Echostar should ditch silver and stick with black.

11. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    For $549, the 721 better be a masterpiece. Considering E*'s GREAT reputation for reliable equipment, I don't think I'll be picking this one up.

12. Martyva

Martyva Guest DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    am waiting tor the JVC TU9000

13. Scott Greczkowski

Mar 21, 2002
    Come on folks.... (Joke mode on)

I think you are forgetting the old Echostar commerical.

"How can you tell you have a Genuine Echostar Receiver?"

"It's easy just look for the bugs!"

"Remember folks if it's Bug Free then it's not an Echostar Product." :lol:

(Joke mode off) :D

14. John Corn

John Corn Hall Of Fame

Mar 21, 2002
    Actually, everyday the more I think about it, I'm not sure if I'll get it or not. :mad:

15. MarkA

MarkA God Bless America! DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    The price is just crazy. Especially compared to the DirecTiVo's

16. Adam Richey

Adam Richey Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    Kokomo, IN
    I think $549 is kinda rediculous for a PVR, especially considering Tivo's are only $99. Wasn't the 721 supposed to be able to connect to the Internet or something like that?

17. rmassey

rmassey Mentor

Apr 23, 2002
    Think about it..... a DTivo lifetime sub is $249, a 120 GB HD is $142 ( I just bought one from dell for this price and it was a deal ).... and you know if you buy a Tivo you'll be upgrading to at least an 80 GB drive or prob 2- 80's eventually..... so $549-$249-$142 = $158 for a dual tuner PRV... plus, you don't have to pay a mirror fee of $5/mo for the second tuner.

People are all upset about the $549 price, but just figure in you don't have to pay a monthly fee or mirror fee and you don't have to mess with buying a bigger HD and installing it.... hmmmm , I'm almost convinced, but think I'll wiat for the beta testers to give us a report and the price to drop a bit.

If (this is a bif IF, for me) they get this one right (Linux), meaning that it works as reliable as a DTivo or better, I'm interested... but I'll still prob wait for the price to come down...., cuase I'm cheap and know it will.

18. Karl Foster

Karl Foster Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    WRONG, WRONG, WRONG!

There is NO charge for the second tuner for a DTivo or Ultimatetv. The $4.99 charge is for the receiver (and only if it is a seoncdary reciever) not the tuner!

My second UTV receiver cost $39 after rebate. With that, plus $10.00 per month, my UTV will take 51 months to equal the initial up fron price of the 721.