1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Win 7 - Consider replacing your battery

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by MikeW, Nov 26, 2010.

1. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    I have a laptop that is just under a year old. Recently, I started recieving a message telling me to consider replacing my battery. I've googled the earth and see there are lots of complaints out there. There are some suggested fixes that don't work. Based on the search results I've seen so far, it is a 50/50 shot on whether the message is real or Win7 has an issue.

Has anyone else encountered this message on a newer laptop? More importantantly, anyone successfully overcome this issue without buying a new battery?
    TIA

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Have you checked with your notebook manufacturer? There used to be a way to re-calibrate the battery power meter, but I can't remember if it was a Windows function or BIOS.

3. STEVEN-H

STEVEN-H Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Is the battery out of warranty. I had one of shortly after purchase and it was replaced for free under warranty.

4. mstanka

mstanka Legend

Jan 25, 2003
    FWIW - Dell Batteries are warrantied for one year.

Most makers have a common warranty for batteries as they are considered a consumable.

Get with the maker asap.

Michael.

5. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    I get a message to replace my wireless mouse and keyboard batteries (for both laptop and desktop machines) once in a great while, but I have never replaced a laptop main battery, even those three or four years old.

6. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    Outside of warranty by about 2 weeks. I was hoping it was Win 7 bug, but I guess it's time for a new battery.

Thanks for the input...

7. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    Apparently the specs for battery life are pretty darn close to warranty life.:rolleyes:

8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    We run hundreds of HP and Dell laptops at work with WIN7 and have no such issue.

9. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, they did not randomly pick the warranty term. ;)

10. Mavrick

Mavrick Hall Of Fame

Feb 1, 2006
    Had this exact issue happen on a little over a year old HP laptop with windows 7 to a girl I work with. And after I tried everything I could come up with including recalbriation on the battery and nothing working we finally just ordered a new battery and the issue is now gone so I guess in that case the battery was really bad.