1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wind, wind, go away...

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by TerpEE93, Feb 13, 2009.

1. TerpEE93

TerpEE93 Mentor

Jan 3, 2006
    So for the second time in about two months, the Washington DC area has been beset by high winds. And once again, my Slimline dish has been blown out of alignment. Seems I just can't get the collar tight enough to keep it from losing azimuth under 50-60mph gusts.

I never had this issue with my smaller dishes, and I kind of anticipated it with this one, so I located the dish in a place where it was less likely to get blown around...no luck. Any suggestions for how to keep the dish from blowing out of alignment, other than just tightening the collar retailing bolts really tight?

And while I'm at it, why is the receiver so bound to guide data? When the dish lost visibility of the satellites, it would still let me tune my OTA stations. But then we suffered a brief power outage, and because the box couldn't pull the guide data, it gave me "Channel Unavailable" for all my OTA locals. Why can't it cache some rudimentary data so that you can still use your old TV antenna to tune OTA's if the dish itself needs servicing? Or why can't it fall back to pulling the data via the Internet connection?

If I can't solve the dish alignment issue, and if D* can't solve the receiver issue, FiOS is looking better and better...

2. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    You have a good point. I've always thought that the guide data should be on the hard drive.

I never understood why it needed to rebuild when power is lost.

Those kind of winds shouldn't push you dish out of alignment. We've had wind storms (yesterday had sustained 35mph+ with gusts of 50-60mph) with not problems.

Are the monopoles installed on you dish?

Mike

3. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    The thing that fixed anything in DBS. Self tapping screws.

Two through the collar into the mast

[​IMG]

4. TerpEE93

TerpEE93 Mentor

Jan 3, 2006
    Wow, pretty permanent, but probably effective as well. (BTW, no monopoles on my AU9S. None installed on any others in my neighborhood either...)

5. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    That's your problem. :eek:

The monopoles need to be installed.

The distance between the dish and mount is a large moment arm. Without the monopoles the large surface area on the dish will weaken the foundation on the dish and it becomes loose.

If others in your neighborhood are without them then the local installer is not doing something they're supposed to.

Quote from the Slimline installation manual:
    Once the monopoles are installed and your dish is realigned you should have no further problems. :)

Mike

6. Michael D'Angelo

Michael D'Angelo Lifetime Achiever

Oct 20, 2006
    I am going to move this to the "DIRECTV Installation" forum.

7. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Rest assured that the satellites aren't going anywhere.

Self-installing is overrated.

8. randyk47

randyk47 Icon

Aug 21, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    It's the "recommended" in the install manual that apparently causes problems. My company just happens to have a condo up in the DC area and I was amazed, and I'll take a picture the next time I'm up there, at the number of DirecTV dishes mounted without monopoles. In fact, there are by far more without than with. I only stay there once every four to five months so it's not like I've gotten to know the neighbors but I wonder how many of them have problems. Even here in Texas installers sometimes cut corners as my neighbor just had a DirecTV install and they didn't put up monopoles. I pointed it out to my neighbor and he got them back out and it's fixed now.

9. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    We had very high winds here in Kentucky--an apple tree was blown over behind my house, roof blown off the barn, vertical ham antenna and mast blown over--but my old pole-mounted AT9 is still hanging in there.

(I would almost wish it had been blown off the pole so I could get a Slimline...)

10. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    That's a lot of surface area and a large moment arm.

IMHO, the base simply can't hold up. It's just a matter of time until it needs realignemt.

And since the base is what's loose, that's the point of miss-alignment. Once the base boltings become loosened they will never be as strong.

The monopoles are the only way to prevent this from happening.

Mike

11. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Call d* and mention that the dish is incorrectly mounted and you want a tech out to fix it. You can also mention the system isn't grounded. This should generate a truck roll.

12. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    from what I gathered it wasn't the arm but dish rotating on mast that was the issue. monopoles don't affect that at all, but they are worth the $20 to install for sure.

question is why doesn't the clamp hold tight to mast? mertzen mentioned self tapping screws which I was also thinking of suggesting.

13. rdlugosz

rdlugosz New Member

Dec 8, 2008
    FWIW I've got the monopoles and I was blown out of alignment during this same windstorm. I suspect the dish has turned slightly on the pole; my signals on 101 are down in the 60's and the rest are 0's or 10-20's.

DTV can't get a tech out until Tuesday, so I'm going to have a go at it myself this afternoon... Hopefully I'll be able to call off the tech.

14. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    Maybe you could "blow" it off the pole yourself. :lol: The circumstances would certainly fit.

15. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    The two that I've seen locally were because the mast was out of plumb.

My next door neighbor had no problems with his reception until a storm and then he kept getting lost of signal errors.

I saw that his dish didn’t have the monopoles and check it. Sure enough it was out of plumb.

A guy I work with had the same problem and his wound up being out of plumb. My neighbor’s dish was on the roof of a ranch so that was easy to check. The guy I work with climbed out onto the roof of a three story colonial to check his. Braver man then I. :eek:

In both cases installing the monopoles and re-plumbing the mast fixed the problem with no issues since.

Although my neighbor had his dish on the lower corner of the roof near the eaves and the gable end. After the storm it had actually pulled the plywood which had to be fixed before the dish.

Mike

16. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    this is what I was using for reference Mike, forgot to add that in my original post. however I can see lack of poles allowing a mast twist causing this, but the collar statement leads me to believe there is an underlying issue.
    weren't there reports early 2008 of mismatches in manufacturers of pole and backplates causing similar issues? anyone remember something like that?

17. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    There is no doubt this can be an issue. I didn't mean to imply it wasn't.

My point is that if the monopoles aren't installed there will be a problem. IMHO it is inevitable.

Mike

18. BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    When I worked for the HSPs, we were not allowed to install a Slimline without at least TWO monopoles. If we did, and got caught, we'd get charged back for the entire install.

19. joe diamond

joe diamond Hall Of Fame

Feb 28, 2007
    It could be a few things. The service calls I have done on the Ka/Ku = Loose bolts.........look for "skid marks" where the mast has moved off correct elevation. Spin because the dish head was too tight during tuning or mfg. error.
    Remove the head, plumb the pole and then add the monopoles. One is enough if you have a goof place for it. I have seen two applied to the gutters...not as good.
    While the head is off (cut quick ties) re caulk ( Bulldog waterproof plastic roof caulk lasts longer than silicone) and check the mast attachment to the roof. Check & caulk where the monopole is attached.

Replace the head & dish.....attach the ground wire......& re point the dish; coil & tie the service loop etc. Make marks where the tuned mast & dish meet so you can tell if they move

The last one I fixed like that I got back charged for. The dish was fine but there were no boots on the ground block. Since they had a "last man out" plan they didn't pay for the repair of the crappy installation. No more HSP for me either.

Joe

20. GScott

GScott Cool Member

Mar 19, 2007
    My dish has the monopoles and has been blown out of alignment during the only 2 wind storms we have had over the last year. I'm really getting sick of it because everytime it's at least a week before DirecTV can be bothered to send a tech. I was supposedly upgraded to their special case mgmt team this time and it's still going to be over a week. I sure would love to find a solution to this so it stops happening.