1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 already includes DIRECTV2PC?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by Pauli, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Hi all, longtime lurker, first time poster.

I recently installed Windows 7 Professional on my new PC and Windows Media Player displays "DIRECTV2PC Media Server" in the listing panel. I can see the list of recorded shows on my HR23, but when I try to play them it shows an error message saying "Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The Player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file." What do I need to do to play these shows?

Thanks for any help.

2. bwaldron

bwaldron Impossible Dreamer

Oct 24, 2005
    The DirecTV2PC software client is required.

3. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    When you launch the DirecTV2PC software for the first time, it downloads the necessary codecs from DirecTV. Maybe you can install the software to get the codecs then view the programs through the media player.

4. veryoldschool

veryoldschool Lifetime Achiever Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Dec 9, 2006
    WMP.PNG
    DirecTV2PC isn't a supported Codec with Windows 7.

5. xzi

xzi Icon

Sep 18, 2007
    What you are seeing is just the UPnP Discovery bubble telling you there is a DIRECTV DLNA device on your network that you can share Media Player with if you choose, that's all.

6. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Thanks guys -- I downloaded the client and installed. Unfortunately, my monitor is not HDCP-compliant, so I am unable to get it to work yet (no DVI-VGA adapter either).

So, just to get this straight, WMP is showing "DIRECTV2PC Media Server" because the the HR23 is connected to the network?

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    xzi is absolutely right. The DIRECTV2PC service is partially compatible with DLNA and as such, any device with DLNA compatibility will see it. However, without the appropriate credentials, the device won't be able to get programming, and DIRECTV2PC is the only program with appropriate credentials.

And Pauli, yes, that's right. WMP is seeing a uPNP server and reporting it.

8. Pauli

Pauli New Member

Nov 28, 2009
    Thanks for the info and quick response!

9. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    :welcome_s to DBSTalk!