1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 General Help

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, Dec 30, 2009.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    As the New Year begins we have moved the old pinned Windows 7 threads into the general area and replaced them with this one General Help thread.

It is no secret that the transition to Windows 7 has been pretty smooth, but if you have issues post them here and we'll try to help.

Larry

2. Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Not really Windows 7, but when I upgraded to 7, I used a new hard drive and placed my old one in an enclosure to copy off data. Got everything off except one program wanted the data "exported" and "imported" and not copied.

So yesterday I installed my old drive with Vista on it, and the computer wouldn't boot. The only change in hardware was a new graphics card, but Vista should have been able to adapt for it.

Put the win 7 drive back in and everything booted fine. Not sure what the problem with the Vista drive is.:confused:

3. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    Juts reaching but i'd say there is no boot loader for the Vista drive anymore since you replaced it with the Win 7 drive if you had kept it on the machine and installed Win 7 on the second drive it would have kept the loader for vista

4. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I'm bummed because Windows Calendar is now part of Windows Live Mail. I was using it in Vista to track my appointments and give me advance reminders. Is there any way to access the Windows Calendar app without using Windows Live Mail? I'm currently using Works Calendar, but not happy because of the reminder options it offers.

5. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    just posted a question to one of the older threads... sorry I didn't see this first...

Kevin

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    The Windows Live Calendar works the way you want it to but it is kept as a web app. Works well.

There has been discussion of a stand alone desktop calendar but nothing final. Try the online version and see if it won't do everything you need.

7. kfcrosby

kfcrosby Godfather

Dec 17, 2006
    Memphis, TN
    Larry

Question about Win 7 under a domain. Just setup my first machine under a domain. I was used to Win7 going out and finding damn near everything attached to the network (printers, etc.). Seeming under this environment it is not doing this. Am I missing something?

Kevin

8. tcusta00

tcusta00 Active Member

Dec 31, 2007
    I'm having a lot of trouble finding the Any key. I've been looking and looking all over my keyboard but it just doesn't seem to be there. There's an "A" key and an "Alt" key... well, two of those, actually, and an "End" key but no "Any" key. Apparently I can't continue without pressing it so if you can help I'd appreciate it.

:p Thanks for all your help around here Larry. You're a great resource to have lending a hand. :)

9. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    Yeah, I've tried it, but don't really care for the way it works. In order to access it, it appears that you must first start Windows Live Mail, then click on the link. I really liked the standalone version of Windows Calendar that I had in Vista.

10. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    It's acutally a combination of keys kinda complex steps lested below
    Press the "A" button then move right 5 keys and down 1 and press the "N" button the last step eludes me at this time so ill post it when i remember it or find it

11. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    Where does the boot loader reside? Shouldn't it be on the drive with Vista?

12. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    You do not have to use Windows Live mail. Go here http://windowslive.com/Online/Calendar

13. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    No where near enough information... A Domain/ Windows 2003 Server? Are the Network Printers configured on the network or handled through the Server? When you click on the Network do you see the other computers and printers on the domain? Are the printers configured with indfividual IP addresses or are they attached to other PC's?

14. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009

And if you're not connected to the web? Or don't want your personal information on the web?

Every version of Windows I've used has had a desktop calendar available that did not require a web connection. Why would they go backwards?

15. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    Why wouldn't you want your personal information on the web. Nobody out there is smart enough to hack a Microsoft system.:rolleyes:

16. naijai

naijai Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    I'm not exactly sure where that is placed but without the vista drive in the machine at the time you installed windows 7 the computer is going to assuem you only have one os so to be able to move back and forth you need to have the vista drive in the machine when installing win 7 i could be wrong though if any one else wants to add

17. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    With the drive question, are you trying to boot onto the old drive with Vista or the new drive with Win7?

Which ever one you want to boot to, try making the other one a 'slave' drive by moving the jumpers to the correct pins (there should be directions on the drive itself to make it a slave).

With the 'main' drive make it a master drive with the jumper pins as well..

18. Cholly

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I guess I'm asking too much. With the old Windows Calendar, you could set a reminder that would display your appointment on your screen when you start up in the morning if the criteria were met (like two days in advance - in this case, it would appear on startup two days in advance of the appointment, and the next day, etc.), even if Calendar wasn't running. Getting an email is not an adequate reminder IMHO. Also, viewing a month at a glance was just a matter of clicking on a desktop icon.
    I don't find a web based calendar to be of much use for an individual. Nice for a work group or department, but I don't have the need for that. I just want to be reminded of appointments, birthdays and the like without carrying a lot of excess baggage.

19. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    I didn't want to leave you hanging on this one, so I did some checking with some contacts of mine and I got a remarkable number of recommendations for a project I hadn't heard of: Mozilla Sunbird. I downloaded it and installed to see what it could do. I think it will answer all your needs http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/sunbird/

Larry

20. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    The old Vista drive was completely removed. New drive installed and WIN7 loaded. After WIN7 was running, I installed the old VISTA drive in an MX-1 hooked up via USB and was able to copy all my data off.

Then needing to "export" data from a program installed on the old VISTA drive, I removed the WIN7 drive from the computer and reinstalled the old VISTA drive right back in the place where it came from. At this point, it would not boot. Perhaps being installed in the enclosure changed its bootability (word?).