1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 7 Has Arrived!

Discussion in 'Tech Talk - Gadgets, Gizmos and Technology' started by LarryFlowers, Oct 22, 2009.

1. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Love or hate Microsoft, Windows 7 arrived officially around midnight last night. Pre-orders will start arriving today and many users will be rebuilding their PC's this weekend.

Having lived with the new OS for quite a period of time, the most important thing I think I can say about Windows 7 is that it simply works. As I thought about it, it struck me how unobtrusive the new OS is, which surprisingly is how it should be.

Windows 7 runs in a minimal footprint. It rarely harasses the user for decisions. It has a rather nice habit of dealing with most of its own problems. It provides a framework to run your software in.

Gone are the heavy system demands of Windows Vista. The "dreaded and hated" user account control has been refined into a truly useful tool. Most of the "unused" added apps (movie maker, windows mail, etc.) have been removed and made available only to those who want them.

So as you dig into this latest incarnation of Windows, dig around a little, some nice surprises await you. Find out if you are one of those users who will find the new "Library" feature useful. Introduce yourself to the new "Action Center".

And most of all, post your experiences in the appropriate pinned threads at the top of this forum. Common problems and successful resolutions will help all of us. I welcome help from all corners and will be monitoring for your questions.

2. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    Are those on/off options or downloadable, or are they additional cost upgrades?

And is it available on new boxes yet?

3. barryb

barryb New Member

Aug 26, 2007
    Lets get this party started.

I too have been using Windows 7 for some time now, and its by far my favorite OS to date.

4. mystic7

mystic7 Icon

Dec 9, 2007
    I had the latest build previous to this official release, and I've had nothing but problems with Adobe software. My computer constantly forgot the serial numbers and forced me to re-enter them. Flash wouldn't load at all and had to be constantly re-installed. My external hard drive froze up, sometimes the files got corrupted file errors, sometimes zip files opened as empty. Other times they worked just fine. Just a bunch of weird stuff. I'm just glad Marlin Guy showed me how to remove Windows 7 from my computer.

5. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    All Free and all available now from Windows Live.

6. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Sorry you had problems with your Adobe software. Windows 7 Beta, RC and now the final release have given me no problems with Adobe Reader, Shockwave or Flash. I have seen no other reports of problems posted in the Windows 7 threads with regard to these programs, so i wish I had known about yours.

In checking the Adobe forums there were some initial problems with setting up Adobe software like CS4 until you switched it to Vista compatibility mode and then those issues were also overcome... and that was back in the beta.

7. Rob77

Rob77 Godfather

Sep 24, 2007
    Like Larry, I have been using Windows 7 since pre-beta, and it is a super operating system. Like any other OS, some people will have problems caused mostly by the hardware they use or additional software they use, but the basic Windows 7 code is excellent.

8. JcT21

JcT21 Legend

Nov 29, 2004
    just checked my fedex tracking number and newegg shipped my win7 oem yesterday.... and as i expected, its due to arrive today before noon! :) i ended up getting the 64 bit home premium for $99. also got a free upgrade to windows 7 professional for a recent purchase of vista business. that one is set to arrive within 10-14 days.

i had minor problems with the first beta...but right now everything is looking good. however i have to admit the new taskbar took some getting used to.

9. RACJ2

RACJ2 Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    I just checked the status of my Windows 7 order with Dell. It was in my cart, but I had to complete the order and enter my address info to get it into processing status. So if you have ordered your free Win 7 upgrade from Dell, you may want to check on your order [Link].

10. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I checked with Newegg and it looks like my copy won't arrive until Friday :(
    At least the shipping was free and no sales tax.

11. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Two copies here today....a busy weekend ahead for certain.

Unlike the Vista live date...I'm actually looking forward ot this one.

Thanks to Larry's excellent preparation information, I may actually sorta kinda almost know what I'm doing...:D

12. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    I haven't received any confirmation from the Microsoft Store that my copy has shipped (though, I believe they told me I'd probably get it before they e-mailed me because their system seems to do that at times..), but my account has been charged and they said it wouldn't be charged until it was shipped....

Also, i'm upgrading my supervisor pastor's computer and since we live in Huntsville, AL...it doesn't take long for things from Newegg to come down here, we ordered it yesterday, it'll be here today!

Woohoo! My day off will hopefully be fun!!!

13. tkrandall

tkrandall Hall Of Fame

Oct 3, 2003
    High level question I realize, but how does Windows 7 compare to Vista and XP in terms of demand on system resources? In between or as light as XP?

14. ncxcstud

ncxcstud Icon

Apr 22, 2007
    Much less of a footprint than Vista...not sure about XP, but it'll all depend on the computer you're using it on anyways....

An older computer running Windows 7 will require more resources for the sheer fact that Windows XP isn't as 'big' as Windows 7, thus requiring the computer to work harder to run it, which is totally understandable. A newer computer you'll probably not notice a difference between XP or 7 (which is a good thing).

15. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    some guy is going to try to use xp mode and find out the hard way they don't have hardware virtulization and end up suing microsoft.

16. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Except that its in the documentation....good luck with that. :D

17. LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    This is the second time you have posted this... http://www.dbstalk.com/showpost.php?p=2252247&postcount=5... and it remains a non issue, it is covered in the documentation and since most of the people who will need the xp mode will be corporate customers with IT people who know how this works.

18. dorfd1

dorfd1 Icon

Jul 15, 2008
    I just found out through searching that microsoft has a utility avaible on the xp mode download page that will tell you if your computer has hardware virtualization or not. Microsoft will not get sued over this.

19. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    The status of my orders? Remember, I ordered two Pro licenses through the student program for $29 and through Amazon for $99.

Student copy: A link arrived this morning through e-mail, and I downloaded the copy through the Internet (2 hours). Media has not yet shipped.

Amazon copy: Currently waiting to be shipped.

20. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone DBSTalk Club

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Got 1 of mine in the mail today (just ordered the other last night - free upgrade from new computer), but probably won't get a chance to do anything with it until next weekend.